Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Do Thanksgiving Day? Share Your Story

I nibbled on brie and smoked gouda for lunch, then at dinner I had a little bit of everything... a few bites of turkey, bread, stuffing, potatoes, yams. Then two tiny slices of pie-- pumpkin and pecan-- YUM. Then we had a long drive home--- got home and had a brownie and 2 Reeses PB cups--- could have done without that, but still I ate a LOT LOT LOT less than I would have had pre-sleeve. :)

10 days post op and mine went fine, but I was mad as hell about it! I regretted every single minute of my sleeve the day of Thanksgiving, which shows what a powerful hold food has over a person how ingrained eating on a holiday can be into a persons psyche, I just shot daggers through my eyes as my family enjoyed the most delicious meal while I ate Soup, SOUP!!!

But now Im fine, and my 20 lbs weight loss and looser fitting clothes make me happy about my decision, that is until Christmas (JK!!)

I am 5 months post op, and like Lipstick Lady, I had an awesome thanksgiving. i always host, and for several weeks i was stressing it out, deciding if i should change up the menu completely.

here in the midwest, we have a lot of starchy, filling sides, and all VERY yummy. i decided to cut out a couple of my regular sides but the rest remained the same, right down to my grandma's very special cake that i make every year in her memory.

what was different for ME, was that this year i FEEL awesome. i think that i LOOK pretty awesome (still a size 14, but way better than the 22-24 i was last year!). i have incredible confidence, and a lot of energy!

i ate a little turkey, a spoonful of mashed potato, a spoonful of stuffing, a few bites of greenbean casserole, and a small square of grannie's cake. it was all AWESOME.

the harder thing for me was yesterday- the friday AFTER! it is a day that my immediate family watches the state high school football playoffs on tv all day, and it is usually an even BIGGER eating fest of leftovers, and usually some added surprise that i had just for the day.

yesterday, i made my hubs and i each a lunch of the leftovers, enjoyed a very little bit again, and then packed up the tiny bit of things that were left and put up for his lunch on monday.

i am so happy that i got to indulge a bit and enjoy with my family. the scale did NOT move upwards. that's the best part. like a few others said, i will indulge again on Christmas, and that will be it until next year at this time.

i think i have finally made some peace with food and i'm really starting to understand how to make this sleeve work for me. YAY!

I'm well below goal and in maintenance, so I had a pretty normal Thanksgiving at Grandmas. Ate a little bit of everything... Deviled egg and shrimp appetizers, then turkey, mashed taters and gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, salad and Jello. Washed it all down with 2 glasses of wine and had 1/2 piece of pumpkin pie smothered in whipped cream for desert. Granted, This all took about 3 hours to consume, and I was not one of the ones groaning on the couch afterwards. Even came home and nibbled on some leftovers that evening. Friday Holiday Challenge weigh in was right on track.

I'm 11 mos. postop and had a "normal" Thanksgiving dinner, just less of it. I've made a conscious decision not to worry about calories during the two big family holiday dinners this year, but to avoid the treats at work. My sister, who is 3-4 yrs out and I enjoyed the same meal everyone else did. That should give hope to some of you that are a few days or weeks out of surgery.

I felt great afterwards (didn't overeat) and had a wonderful time with my family (putting the focus where it should be).

I did work out this week and ended up losing a little. I am 1 lb from goal!

I am just about 10 weeks post op.. And I was surprised at how much I could eat. My brain has learned that I can graze now if I choose. Like perfect clockwork, I just had a conversation with my surgeon about the reality that food will become easier to eat and easier to eat larger quantities. I just started much more intense exercise so I'm motivated. Overall though, Thanksgiving was amazing and blessed :) I'm so thankful for this tool to help me better myself. Staying motivated :)

I'm 4 1/2 months post op and had a wonderful Thanksgiving- 3 oz. of turkey breast ( no skin, no gravy),steamed green Beans that I had to bring myself just for me since we had green bean casserole, and a butterscotch Protein pudding for dessert. No stuffing, no mashed potatoes, no bread, no casseroles, no pie, and no vino! I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I had a great workout in the morning on Thursday and another one on Friday morning.

One holiday down, two more to go!

I'm 17 weeks post op, 1st Thanksgiving post op. I had a few bites of everything and was completely satisfied! I also noticed how large everyone else's portions were and was so thankful for my sleeve! I used to be the one with huge portions, going back for seconds and feeling sluggish and awful. It was great to be full, but not stuffed and not feel like crap!

This was my last pre-op thanksgiving. I intended to stay full Protein, but ended up with a serving of turkey, then 2 bites of mashed potatoes, green Beans, corn, and a slice of pumpkin pie. Didn't lose - but didn't gain, and that's a lot less than I usually eat. I'm hoping that next November, almost 1 year post op, will be similar - but at goal. :)

I'm making pot roast and chicken Soup for Christmas. I figure I can have the broth.

My family and I went camping for Thanksgiving! It was great! I prepared turkey, stuffing, sweet peas, corn, and lemon ice box pie. I had a bit of everything and we went for a hike afterwards. I was surprised when I got home with a two pound weight loss! Still loving the sleeve!! :)

I had surgery Oct 13 2014..... I would say not the best this year.... I was only able to eat greens that were cooked very soft for me... (sad face) I haven't been able to eat much meat at all

Hang in there Eharmon5 - read the other posts (it gets much better!).

I ate really well on thanksgiving but I think that was a mix of 2 days cooking (never wanna eat when I cook alot) and having the flu. Now AFTER thanksgiving was a different story. I got my appetite back so I grazed all day. Still didn't eat as much as I would pre surgery on a normal day tho so I'm very happy

I actually just finished my 8th and final thanksgiving dinner. I brought home all of the dark meet from the turkey, a 2 cup container of green bean casserole, and a 2 cup container of potatoes, stuffing and gravy. I vacuum sealed and froze 3/4 of the turkey, and have had thanksgiving dinner every day for the last week. The good news is those leftovers would have been barely 2 meals preop and the other good news is the last 7 meals were just as delicious as the original. And I have more turkey to look forward to!

I am 3 months out. My husband cooked for the two of us. It was enough for an army. Poor guy! I ate 3 times that day.., each time a tiny bowl of a few bites of turkey and mashed potatoes. (First carbs I've had.) That all went fine. He pleaded with me to try the buttermilk pie he made. A few bites ... I threw up. Never again! All in all, a good day though, and I didn't feel deprived in the least.