Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The biggest loser tonight

I've been watching this show for the first time this season but I doubt I'll be watching any more after tonight. I'm so tired of hearing people talk trash about WLS. One of the contestants has had a lap band so they were discussing why he failed with it and one of the coaches threw out the only 10% (or some arbitrary low number) succeed with WLS. I'm so tired of hearing this. Um if he's working out and eating right I'm sure that band is in there helping and if he had done that and followed the program he wouldn't have had to go on the show. I got curious because one of the teams needed a large number from one of their teammates because the other 2 had lower weight loss and so bam! This guy pounds out 15 lbs ...how con-veeeeenitant. I read that there have been a number of contestants gain back all the weight again and/or they used sketchy practices like making the dehydrated to skew the numbers. I hate reality shows except dancing with the stars. I'm over the biggest loser

Edited by kyrickchick64

I have never watched this show before this season when I've caught a couple of episodes. (From personal experience any kind of competitive weight loss is a disaster waiting to happen -- physically, mentally, and socially).

From what little I have seen of this show it glorifies the worst kind of disordered eating and exercise bulimia.

I used to watch the show but am over it. It is just not realistic to work out as much as these contestants. I prefer success stories from everyday people, much more relatable. People who have really placed their health first and understand it is not a fast an easy process. Who in the world can exercise that much?

There is actually a girl on this forum that was a contestant on the Biggest Loser and lost all her weight. She wouldn't reveal her name, only that America watched her lose it all and there was no way it could be kept off with a regular life, so she opted for the sleeve. I can't remember her name on here, but where ever she is, I hope she's finding happiness and success with her sleeve.

It exploits the suffering of others under the guise of entertainment. Why else would they make the contestants remove their clothing? It's a sad commentary on just how voyeristic we are (can anyone say trainwreck) and more importantly....the lengths people will go to just to lose weight. How can you say that WLS is extreme but working out 24/7...and on TV no less, is not extreme?

WLS will become accepted when it is shown to be successful as a long term solution. Losing weight is far from challenging. Keeping it off is another story.

I quit watching the Biggest Loser several years ago.. It became Cry Fest, and the trainers became psychotherapist without the education to do that. I felt it was phony as well. While I commend anyone who is working out and eating right, I think they take it to the extreme. The whole show with people who are on TV with sports bra's and spandex is so humiliating. I could never do that. Then the worst part is voting people off. I know under that type of controlled environment you could lose weight each week however once you are back in the "real" world it is usually more difficult. I believe the show gives the wrong impression of obesity and I cannot stand Jillian who was so harsh. I would have punched her out if she were in my face like she does some of those poor people.

Jillian is off of it(I've heard because she encouraged a contestant to get way thinner than she should have tho I didn't see it myself and they have a much nicer female trainer now but id like to see the majority of the past contestants and where they are now. Not just the select few they have on the show that I've seen. I don't even know why I watched this season

The forum member here who was on The Biggest Loser many years ago said on this forum that many episodes are filmed over a period of several weeks -- with the attendant weight losses achieved over 2-3 weeks. The drama is manufactured. The storyline is scripted to manipulate the participants and the audience.

TBL is a reality show, folks.

It's not reality.

Big difference.

And yes, the show's premise is obscenely unreal.

For one TBL winner's version of what REALLY happens on that show, see:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/biggest-loser-contestant-kai-hibbard-slams-reality-show-gained-weight-back/

Edited by VSGAnn2014

As a sometimes watcher of the biggest loser, the most ludicrous statement came this week.!

bob explained the band had horrible long term stats... And his plan was long lasting.

Hmmmm.. Where are all the previous losers? There are a lot of contestants and only a few come back. That 1-2 % success rate with diet and exercise. It's a million dollar diet business. With poor results!

Our WLS may not be for everyone, but there are LOTS of us many years out from surgery still successful. Diligent, but with a fighting chance

Especially us more ...ahem. ..Mature ones. Menopause is not helpful for weight loss. But WLS works for a lot of people. Just me sayin