Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendations to lose 100 lbs

I'm almost 3 weeks out (19 days) still in puréed food stage. I read a lot of success stories about losing 100 lbs in 6-8 months post surgery.. It's my only dream to reach a 100 lbs loss in those months.. What recommendations for workouts, food (protein/carbs ratio and caloric goal) to reach my goal in this period...

My SW: 252, CW:240, GW: 143

I'm 27 yrs old.

My opinion is that whether you reach that goal in 6 or 12 or more months you are still a huge success. Time boxing yourself too much may be setting yourself up for failure.

Follow the plan, exercise, become more active, minimize carbs, don't eat to "full" eat till no longer hungry... those techniques will help you lose weight and then maintain.

I agree with not putting yourself into a timeframe. I am goal oriented and having a target helped, but make sure it is attainable.The weight loss happens when it happens. As long as you are steadily progressing towards the goal don't worry about how long it takes.

Follow the plan from your surgeon, drink Water, and Protein first. 10 months post surgery, I still track every day because it works for me.

One thing that also worked well for me was to closely monitor food intake and steadily increase calories and carbs as my body needed the energy for exercise. Whenever I was stuck or weight loss slowed, adding calories allowed the weight loss to continue.

I agree with not putting yourself into a timeframe. I am goal oriented and having a target helped, but make sure it is attainable.The weight loss happens when it happens. As long as you are steadily progressing towards the goal don't worry about how long it takes.

Follow the plan from your surgeon, drink Water, and Protein first. 10 months post surgery, I still track every day because it works for me.

One thing that also worked well for me was to closely monitor food intake and steadily increase calories and carbs as my body needed the energy for exercise. Whenever I was stuck or weight loss slowed, adding calories allowed the weight loss to continue.

Good tip, thank you :)

I'm almost 3 weeks out (19 days) still in puréed food stage. I read a lot of success stories about losing 100 lbs in 6-8 months post surgery.. It's my only dream to reach a 100 lbs loss in those months.. What recommendations for workouts, food (protein/carbs ratio and caloric goal) to reach my goal in this period...

I'm 27 yrs old.

I don't think that's a realistic goal. While it might be possible, it's also setting yourself up for failure if you don't meet that goal. This is a life style change, a tool. It took you 27 years to gain it and even with surgical assistance it feels a bit like magical thinking to wish it away in such a short period of time. Focus on working your program, eating right and exercise.

I'm 27 yrs old.

So, this is do-able. But I agree with the above, I would not give yourself a time limit. But here's MY advice on eating (take it, or leave it): do whatever is realistic for YOU. for example, if you are someone who could NEVER give up potatoes, then why do it temporarily? You would set yourself up for failure later in the process.

For me, giving up rice/bread/pasta was a realistic goal... I still don't eat or want those foods.

Here's the absolute BEST advice given to me--- Always UNDEREAT your sleeve (this can go for any WLS). There are so many posts about eating a cup of rice or multiple slices of pizza.... Why?? If your limit is "x" why are you going above that??? My limit is 4 oz and thats what I eat... Sometimes less, but never more.

And, of course, Protein first. :)

I don't think that's a realistic goal. While it might be possible, it's also setting yourself up for failure if you don't meet that goal. This is a life style change, a tool. It took you 27 years to gain it and even with surgical assistance it feels a bit like magical thinking to wish it away in such a short period of time. Focus on working your program, eating right and exercise.

You are right, I'm just asking what kind of workouts (weight lifting, cardio, resistance,...) that helps most according to others experiences... Plus the caloric intake and counting on Protein and carbs..

So, this is do-able. But I agree with the above, I would not give yourself a time limit. But here's MY advice on eating (take it, or leave it): do whatever is realistic for YOU. for example, if you are someone who could NEVER give up potatoes, then why do it temporarily? You would set yourself up for failure later in the process.

For me, giving up rice/bread/pasta was a realistic goal... I still don't eat or want those foods.

Here's the absolute BEST advice given to me--- Always UNDEREAT your sleeve (this can go for any WLS). There are so many posts about eating a cup of rice or multiple slices of pizza.... Why?? If your limit is "x" why are you going above that??? My limit is 4 oz and thats what I eat... Sometimes less, but never more.

And, of course, Protein first. :)

Thank u :) that's a good plan I guess

You are right, I'm just asking what kind of workouts (weight lifting, cardio, resistance,...) that helps most according to others experiences... Plus the caloric intake and counting on Protein and carbs..

Your doctor and medical team will provide you with info on caloric intake and food. That seems to vary a bit from doctor to doctor. In general you are either liquids or full liquids the first 2 weeks, then add pureed food then soft foods. Protein is always the first priority. Carbs, fats, etc.. are secondary. Drinking between 48 and 64 oz of Water daily is also important. This may be something you have to slowly build up to.

In my opinion the type of exercise doesn't matter, but it is important to get some form of exercise in regularly.

I'd again like to emphasis that every medical team has a slightly different type of protocols and you should check with them first.

I'm 27 yrs old.

Ah, 27 years old, youthful exuberance. Good for you, you're tackling a problem that could follow you through your whole life and affect the quality of your health. By this point you know this is a process, the physical modifications through surgery and the lifestyle changes in diet and exercise. This is your journey, your experiences will be unique to you, maybe you'll lose 100 lbs. in 6-8 months and maybe more or maybe less. Following your surgeon's and nutritionist's recommendations along with leading a more active life will determine your results. So like everyone has already suggested, let your journey unfold before you at your own rate.

But I understand your interest in what has worked for others who have gone this route, but remember, what motivates you at 27 yrs. old is going to be different than what motivates me at 62 yrs. old. For me, I'm about 3 months out and very happy with my results. To be honest, I have not gotten into a good exercise habit, that's my struggle, I walk maybe 2-3 times a week. As far as diet, I tracked what I ate the first couple of months and carefully "listened" to my sleeve. Now I just work with it, I get in Proteins first then wait for the sleeve to say stop. I suggest that you get to know one another (you and the sleeve), you're going to be together for the rest of your life. Good luck, you can do it.

Ah, 27 years old, youthful exuberance. Good for you, you're tackling a problem that could follow you through your whole life and affect the quality of your health. By this point you know this is a process, the physical modifications through surgery and the lifestyle changes in diet and exercise. This is your journey, your experiences will be unique to you, maybe you'll lose 100 lbs. in 6-8 months and maybe more or maybe less. Following your surgeon's and nutritionist's recommendations along with leading a more active life will determine your results. So like everyone has already suggested, let your journey unfold before you at your own rate.

But I understand your interest in what has worked for others who have gone this route, but remember, what motivates you at 27 yrs. old is going to be different than what motivates me at 62 yrs. old. For me, I'm about 3 months out and very happy with my results. To be honest, I have not gotten into a good exercise habit, that's my struggle, I walk maybe 2-3 times a week. As far as diet, I tracked what I ate the first couple of months and carefully "listened" to my sleeve. Now I just work with it, I get in Proteins first then wait for the sleeve to say stop. I suggest that you get to know one another (you and the sleeve), you're going to be together for the rest of your life. Good luck, you can do it.

Thank u so much that's so helpful

Your post really resonated with me. Especially the part about getting to know your sleeve. I seem to have a tolerance for about one third cup of pureed food. Occasionally the last bite seems like too much. I need to learn to say no to that last bite.

Follow your doctors guidelines. No fluids when you eat, eat your Protein first , no carbonation and exercise all that you can. Drink lots if Water. It will come off, but don't kick yourself if you don't lose 100 in 6 months. Everyone has their own pace