Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Normal or not? 6 weeks post op

I'm really starting to worry about my progress. I was 6 weeks post op yesterday. I've only lost 8 lbs in the past 4 weeks. I've lost 17 lbs since surgery and 18 in 2 week pre op for a total of 35 lbs. I just feel like things are at a stand still. I am doing everything I'm supposed to do. I get 80 gram of Protein a day. I walk about a mile almost every day. I take in about 650-800 calories per day. I just returned to work yesterday and everyone was amazed at how I looked. That felt good. I guess I just assumed it would come off a little faster.

I'm really starting to worry about my progress. I was 6 weeks post op yesterday. I've only lost 8 lbs in the past 4 weeks. I've lost 17 lbs since surgery and 18 in 2 week pre op for a total of 35 lbs. I just feel like things are at a stand still. I am doing everything I'm supposed to do. I get 80 gram of Protein a day. I walk about a mile almost every day. I take in about 650-800 calories per day. I just returned to work yesterday and everyone was amazed at how I looked. That felt good. I guess I just assumed it would come off a little faster.

What it sounds like is that you have a "plateaued", you can probably begin to extend that mile into 1 1/2 or 2 miles, as well as remind yourself, how far would you have really come PRIOR to WLS. 35lbs, is allot considering what you might have been battling before surgery. Just keep up the effort, and do not be discourage its only BEEN 6 WEEKS, and excessive skin...I think losing weight at that rate will prevent from having, if any at all.

Thanks! The scary thing is that on every diet I have done I have always plateaued at 35 lbs lost and never been able to go further. I'm afraid that's what is going to happen.

I'm at 6 weeks and I've lost around the same amount as you. My weight loss dropped off dramatically as soon as I started solid food. Even though I was eating 600-800 calories, I wasn't losing. I just went back to the liquid diet and am starting over. I think I did get into the habit of grazing and eating too many carbs because they go down easier. So even though my calories were low, I wasn't eating the right things. I was probably only getting 50g of Protein per day. It's early but it seems like going back to liquids is working for me.

The thing is that I haven't eaten one thing I'm not supposed to. I have followed the diet to the T.

Good luck with the liquids. I don't know if I could go back to that. Let me know how it goes!

I'm at 6weeks also AlanaRN and I too have lost only about as much as you. I was wondering the same thing about my slow lost. How is work in the ER? Are you able to do 12hours without energy issues? I go back tomorrow, only doing 8 hours for the first week then we will see if I need 2 keep a modified schedule.

Hi Lateese. I went back yesterday for the full 12 hours. It was rough! They pushed me hard on my first day back. I was on my feet the entire 12 hours. I can barely move today. Thankfully I don't go back till Friday. Good luck tomorrow! We have got to figure out this slow weight loss. Maybe it's normal since at least 3 of us are going through the same thing!

Wow that scares me. I can relate to being on your feet the entire 12 hours very well, and unlike u my days are scheduled in a row. So grateful for the first week back on 8 hr shifts. As far as my EXTREMELY slow weight lost, I also thought something must be wrong. I was considering going back to liquids as well, as much as I hate the thought. I was 240 lbs day of surgery and can't seem to get past 220. I try to stay positive and remind myself I was at 255lbs before this all started and I haven't seen 220 in quite a long time, but at the same time I've been stuck here for 2 weeks and this is my second stall in 6weeks. I must be doing something wrong.

I feel the same!!!! Feels like I'm stuck! It's just by chance that I have days off in between. I work 3 in a row next week. Should be difficult. 8 hours would have been easy yesterday. It was around 3 that I started to slow down.

And I think we've stalled at same times.

That's refreshing to know that I am not alone, and I figure if I lose at least 9lbs a month on my 1 year surgerversary I will still be down 108 lbs.

That's a good way to think of it.

Hi Alana and Lateese - I also had similar weight loss and then stopped for about 2 1/2 wks. I was officially 6 wks out as of yesterday. I decided to start measuring inches per someone else's recommendation and even though the scale didn't move I lost 11". I just got back from a trip and the scale is finally moving again as of this Monday. I don't know if it was a change in routine or that I also had my "monthly" during my trip. Maybe your routine change of going back to work will kick start it for you both.

I'm more or less where you are. I didn't have a preop diet and was only 2 lbs lighter the day of surgery. However at my 2 week follow up I was 24lbs lighter. At my 6 week follow up I had lost another 6 lbs but I chalked that up to reintroducing food after being on a liquid diet for 2 weeks straight. At this point I'm not overly concerned. I was told that it was a slower weight loss than GPB and honestly, I'm okay with that. I'm not one of those that weighs myself constantly. It makes me crazy and then I only focus on the scale. Instead I focus on mindful eating, getting my Water in and exercising regularly. I won't get weighed again until I go back to the doctors net month.

One thing that I find helpful is keeping a food diary. I use myfitnesspal. I'm not focusing as much on calories. At this point my doctor says I should still be at around 800 calories. I look at the other micros like carbs, fat, sodium and sugars. Sodium especially because if you are eating high sodium foods, even if you are eating low cal you can gain weight.

Sounds to me like your are right on track. Just focus on proper nutrition and exercise. You'll be fine.

Edited by Blerdgirl