Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaching out to any seniors over seventy

Good morning all,

Would love to connect with any seniors over seventy who are traveling this road. There's probably not a lot of us.

For sure, our journeys will differ due to our advanced age. Personally, am not quite two months post-op, but I must say I feel great!

Let me know how you're doing, and if there are any issues you need help with.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Hugs,

Jodi

I am not quite seventy. I am only 66 years old. I am 18 months post op from RNY surgery. I feel fine. The first 6 months were rough but for the past year I have been in my happy state.

One problem I experienced that I didn't expect was a severe problem with Constipation. It got so bad that I had to resolve it by inserting a glycerin suppository up my rear every 3 days. I finally stumbled on a cure that worked for me. I had to eat an apple each night just before bed. But the secret is one must eat the skin of the apple. That has resolved my problem. My mom (who never had surgery) also suffers from severe constipation. I tried to get her to use my cure. But she was unable to follow this approach because she has false teeth. So I invented a cure for her. We take an apple and using a blender make an apple sauce (with blended apple skin). One needs to add a little apple juice to the apples to make the blender work well. Anyways this type of apple sauce works like a charm.

One of the common saying about the effects of surgery is that it gives one more energy. I have not found this to be the case. I do not feel like getting up and running a mile each morning. But I did observe that my stamina (for manual labor) had returned. I can perform physical labor like I did when I was 35.

I am 75 and b'day in Jan will be 76. I have completed all requirements and waiting on surgery date. gastric by pass. surgeon has to re-do a prior hiatal surgery from some 30+ years ago to correct acid reflux. Surgeon says the by pass will correct this problem. am glad to meet up with you for sure. I think there's more seniors on here, but probably scattered on the various boards.

73 and three weeks out from surgery. You are right, I'm sure it's different at this age. I'm very careful about getting all my meds and Vitamins but still unable to get in enough Protein and fluids. I'm still waiting for strength & energy to return as I plan to drive from FL to AZ by myself in two more weeks. Will be harder to fix "food" along the way. Stay in touch 70 something's....we're tough, we can do this.

Jodi, what Protein are you most satisfied with. I dread all mine and take it like it's medicine. Would like to find something more tolerable.

Jodi, what Protein are you most satisfied with. I dread all mine and take it like it's medicine. Would like to find something more tolerable.

I hate Protein shakes too. I think it was misnamed to make one believe they were going to drink a milk shake. I used Muscle Milk Light - vanilla Creme. I considered it to be the best for my taste. I would mix it using a Ninja Blender - single serve. Normally I would blend in a banana to make it more palatable. So here is the secret: as your meal volume goes up, if you concentrate on eating high Protein meals, you can derive most of your protein requirement from meals. As time went on I transitioned from three Protein Shakes a day, down to two, down to one, down to zero. Currently at 18 months post-op, I derive around 65 grams of protein from my meals alone. I still supplement my protein but I use either a glass of hot cocoa (no sugar added) in the winter or a berry smoothie during the rest of the year. After a few months post-op you will be able to also use Protein Bars. My favorite is QuestBar - Coconut Cashew. They come in handy when you are on the go and away from a blender.

Hi all,

I was tracking my Protein intake daily, but took a break for a couple weeks. Must get back to putting pen to paper. Most of my protein comes from Greek yogurt, fish, Protein Bars, Soups, shrimp, etc.

I cannot stomach the Protein Shakes, it's just the idea of them. If they tasted as good as a thick shake or a Coolatta, it'd be different.

Really important to me to stay in contact with those of you over 70. I'm one month out and feeling very successful. However I still have not been able to get an 80 g of Protein. Another huge problem is I can't swallow the B complex pill and then opened up it tastes terrible even put in yogurt. Is there a B complex out there anywhere that isn't so horrible? I have a reluctant surgeons permission to drive from Florida to Arizona next week. However I have to take shots in the stomach every day to prevent blood clots. Feeling a little nervous about spending four months away from my support group, my nutritionist, and my doctor.

Wonderful blessings to all of you this Thanksgiving time!

I can use Unjury chocolate dream Protein Powder with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 2 Tbsp PB2 with quite a bit of ice blended well in my Ninja--tastes like a Frappaccino!!

Any over 70's still out there & checking in? I'm 6 months post op and will turn 74 next month. I feel better (& look better) than I did at age 50!! Clothes size from 16+ to an 8, and only meds are preventative.

Hi everyone,

Seem to have lost the over 70's group. Are you posting in a different area. I am 3 weeks waiting for surgery and on starting another week of Optifast liquids. Have lost a good 8lbs only have to lose 9.6lbs before surgery on 5/25.

This has been a 6 month waiting because of insurance wait but with all the support meetings and other meeting with doc.and nut and others to see if this is the best for me and it has been so helpful and learning.

I would like to hear from others my age range and how they are doing.

I was told by another Doc group that I was too old.

My sister lives in GA and 2 years ago she had the Y and lost 105 lb and has been at her goal wt for 18 months now and is loving it.

Hope to hear from anyone out there that would like to talk.

Pixie, I Celebrate my 75th BD next month. I had the "Y" 18 months ago and only regret is that I didn't know about it years ago!

Just came back from surgeon & all my blood work is perfect for every Vitamin & mineral. Yeah!!! I am on NO meds for first time in 30 years.

I thanked both my Dr.'s again this week for not looking at my age & saying I was too old.

Went from 205 to 112 - from size 16+ down to a 2.

I feel good, but most important advice from me

1)Always pre-plan ( think of yourself & your needs first - have your Protein & Water with you forever & know ahead where & what you will eat)

2) Don't buy NEW clothes for 11/2 years. It felt so good that I did, always thinking surely I wouldn't get smaller than this! Cost me lots!

3) Lucky you with sister for support. I still go to monthly support group when not traveling

4). When allowed, get back into whatever exercise you love - for me it's Pilates

5). It's never over - I'm still learning what I can/cannot - should/shouldn't eat.

6). Latest change for me was finding the Bariatric 3+3 Vitamin. Love them & they supposedly have every vitamin & mineral that Y's need. You suck on them like a treat.

Best Wishes - you're definitely NOT too old!!!

Will be waiting to read your after report.

Oh, Yes, I started a journal before & kept it up with before photos & my analysis of why I got myself in that mess, then the amazing journey of loss! I still add to it occasionally when something special happens or I'm having strong feelings.

You'll enjoy going back to it - I highly recommend doing this!!!

I am 70 and considering bypass surgery. I had lap band in 2007 and finally had it removed in 2014. The band had slipped and I was having horrible acid reflux. Saw surgeon yesterday to discuss the gastric sleeve. He suggested that I likely have a metabolic issue and suggested that the bypass would be the better choice particularly with the reflux problems from the lap band. I am 5' 7" tall and am now up to 280. My wife is biased toward dieting but I am concerned that the likely long term success is low (past diets have worked only to regain the weight). Any thoughts on going forward or not?

I am 71 and having surgery on 1/25. I live in San Luis Obispo, Ca. A bit nervous about the whole process but it seems most people have good experience. How long before I'll feel well enough to resume full activities

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wishing you the best. I'm 76 - had RNY at age 74. Only wish I had known about it earlier. I'm off all meds & healthy & strong. Just follow all the rules 100%

You've made a great decision - it's a life saver & a life changer!!!