Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my first fill a week ago. They used 4cc. I am p-bing with every meal when I eat solids. I also have a great deal of pain when I eat. Does this mean I am too restricted?:eek:

Well, it all depends. Restriction takes getting used to and a lot of lessons.

When (exactly) did you start eating solids after your fill and what are you PBing on? That's a good start for the questions. :eek:

Kurn, there is a learning curve when it comes to learning to eat when we have restriction. Perhaps you're eating too fast or not chewing enough, or perhaps you're taking one or two bites too many. Try slowing down, allowing 30 seconds to a minute between bites (believe me, I KNOW that's hard to do); try chewing twice as long as you think you should, and then try stopping before you think you've had enough. If you really want more the food will still be there.

Good luck!!

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I have been on this site for a few weeks and I still do not know what P-Bing is.

I'm concerned about my restriction as well. At 1 cc I felt very little restriction but at 1.5 cc I'm having a lot of problems. Maybe I do need to slow down and eat smaller bites, but some days I can't eat yogurt without that shart pain in the chest area.

I don't want to tell my doctor it's too tight but I'm starting to feel frustrated with all this pain surrounding eating.

Any ideas??

Chrissy, I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to get an unfill, but if you don't get more comfortable please don't hesitate to get a little taken out.

I had my third fill in Feb. From the 1st day that I moved back to solids (day 3) I had trouble eating solid Protein regardless of how well I chewed or how slowly I ate. Since I was afraid to get an unfill and go back to unrestricted ability to eat I suffered with the fill for more than 3 months.

Finally called uncle and admitted my husband was right...my husband is also banded and kept threatening to put me in the car and take me to the fill center since I was PBing at just about every meal!

I had a TINY unfill (only .2cc). Before I had 2.8cc in a 4cc band and now I have 2.6cc. The difference was instant and WONDERFUL! I still get full quickly, but can eat chicken, fish and beef, salads, veggies, etc. I still can't eat bread, pizza, or other dense carbs but that's no loss! I'm no longer drinking shakes, eating ice cream and living on food that would "slide". And because of the unfill my weight loss has started up again.

PLEASE don't be afraid to get a slight unfill...you can always get a small refill if they back a little too much out.

good luck!

Just had my first fill a week ago. They used 4cc. I am p-bing with every meal when I eat solids. I also have a great deal of pain when I eat. Does this mean I am too restricted?:D

what is "p-bing"? i'm new to this and not sure of all the linguo.

thanks

marlynn

I'm concerned about my restriction as well. At 1 cc I felt very little restriction but at 1.5 cc I'm having a lot of problems. Maybe I do need to slow down and eat smaller bites, but some days I can't eat yogurt without that shart pain in the chest area.

I don't want to tell my doctor it's too tight but I'm starting to feel frustrated with all this pain surrounding eating.

Any ideas??

**IF** you are following ALL bandster rules and you are having this problem I'd suggest having an unfill under fluoro. If the problem is too big of bites, not chewing properly, not slowing down while eating, etc., then an unfill won't help.

If you are following bandster rules, ALL of them, and you still PB this much, an unfill is necessary.

Can you drink Water? Do you ever PB on Water or other liquids?? That can be a sign that you're too tight.

As for PBing on solids, it may depend on what you're eating. Not everything works with the Band for all people. Personally, I could never do steak or big hunks of meat, bread, rice, Pasta, or salad. Foods that rarely caused a PB for me were tuna and ww crackers, bean/lentil Soup, scrambled eggs (although some people can't handle them), cottage cheese.

Are you drinking with your meals?? That might cause a PB.

Are you chewing until liquid/mush?

4 ccs seems a lot to me for a first fill (but hey, my Band doesn't even hold that much! :o )... so I would talk to some other Bandsters who have your same Band size and see what their first fill amount was. (Although everybody is different.)

Good luck :)

I agree with Tired Old Man. Cut your food in chiclet size, especially meat. Then chew about 30 times and it has a better chance of going down. I always drink when I eat because the food gets stuck otherwise, but most folks say not to drink anything. Buy I chew food to mush before I swallow or I PB. When I PB I notice larger pieces of food that I haven't chewed adequately. One thing I've learned is not to get really hungry. If I do, I eat too fast and PB. This band thing requires getting used to.