Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Truly don't know what to do

I was sleeved on 10-21-14. The first week I had no trouble getting my Protein and fluids in, the second week, there didn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get my fluids in and I couldn't tolerate even half of one Protein Shake. Someone here recommended GENEPRO Protein, so I ordered it. In the meantime, I quit bothering to even open a protein shake...it was just wasteful as I couldn't drink it anyway. It really weighed heavily on my mind. This past week my nutritionist put me on soft, well chewed food (not breads rice, or pastas yet, but pretty much anything else as long as it is chewed well). And, my Genepro arrived yesterday. I thought "thank heavens...I can eat food AND I have protein that I can mix into my food! Now I can be compliant with my protein intake" Um, not so much. I had been collecting recipes that I could eat at this stage, so I started making a new one everyday since Tuesday. I've not been fond of any of them...and I've made a variety of different things. I can't eat any more than 1-2 Tbls per meal or snack, no matter what it is. And it's not because I'm "full", it's because the taste of ANYTHING literally repulses me. I have to mentally prepare myself before I swallow because it just feels soooo disgusting going down. So if I can't eat that means I can't mix my protein, and I'm obviously not eating enough to get my requirements through the food. Well, this evening I decided that maybe I just didn't really like the new recipes so I decided to make something I've made for years and has always been a favorite. Nope. Same scenario. I literally cannot stand food. I am getting depressed because this isn't going the way I wanted. I have the greatest desire to be compliant and I TRY, every single day. It's not about wanting something different or "cheating", it's that I can't eat. My dietician says "you're early out...just keep trying, it'll get better". *sigh* I guess, but I feel like a failure, even though I'm losing (OF COURSE IM LOSING! I'm starving myself to death...this isn't what I wanted!) sorry for the long vent, but I'm so upset this evening.

@@Jennifer Rogers Yuck! Well do you like Popsicles? Can you used your Protein mixes to make some of them To eat? Have you tried some thing basic like retried Beans with some cheese and maybe some avocado ect..or some ricotta cheese with some marinara sauce? Can you stand the cream Soups? I'm still early out but I like the cream of chicken with herb Soup and I add some unflavored protein to it. It kinda taste like chicken dumplings.

(*refried,)if you don't feel ready or can't move up maybe you should just stay on the full liquid a little longer and add your new Protein to some of that if you could tolerate the it?

I can't stand the full fluids foods either. I thought I was just sick of that phase, because I was feeling the same way with those. I think I may take your advice and go back to that phase anyway and do the best I can with it. Thank you!

Refried Beans and cheese I enjoyed the first time I tried it, but that lasted a total of one time...then I couldnt stand to swallow even the first bite. NOTHING has a taste..I mean absolutely NOTHING. And the texture of everything going down is just grody!

Edited by Jennifer Rogers

Oh, well I'm lost then hopefully it will just pass. Sorry.

I am having the same problem. I'm having trouble getting more than a few bites of anything down.

Lol! @@Elode I appreciate your advice though! I know I probably sound "picky or finicky", but I swear, I've never had a picky finicky bone in my body. I'm praying it works itself out, because I really am concerned with malnutrition. Thank you again for your thoughts :)

I am having the same problem. I'm having trouble getting more than a few bites of anything down.

@@jstrong630 how far out are you? And what are you allowed to eat?

@@Jennifer Rogers Oh I understand! I just heated up some Campbell's French onion Soup (strained it) and added Protein Powder to it and it's Really good! Do you like French onion soup? You wouldn't even have to strain your at this point. I haven't tried any other brands but this Campbell's is delicious! Good luck I hope this passes for you!

I do. But I added Protein powder to cream of potato last night and couldn't do it. How much protein powder do you use to how much Soup? @@Elode maybe I added too much

I'm 3.5 weeks out I am on puree/soft food.

@@Jennifer Rogers Oh I understand! I just heated up some Campbell's French onion Soup (strained it) and added Protein powder to it and it's Really good! Do you like French onion soup? You wouldn't even have to strain your at this point. I haven't tried any other brands but this Campbell's is delicious! Good luck I hope this passes for you!

what protein powder do you use? I'm tryidng to find one I like.

@@Jennifer Rogers I only add about a table soon. This French onion has such a strong flavor I can't taste the powder at all. I can taste it on some of my other Soups but this kills it. I probably could have added more.

@@Jennifer Rogers I know That doesn't seem like a lot of Protein powder but if you like it you can have more servings of it over the day and it will all add up.