Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there!!

My name is tiffany I am 31. Weight hit all time high today of 238!! I have Tricare insurance and just finished meeting with the dietician today. Everything else is done!! About how long does it take to get the approval?

Also recovery time. I have a 2 year old little girl. How long will I need help for? This is my first of many post so any info you are willing to share I will take it!!!

Hi Tiffany, I have Tricare too. If you filled all the requirements it doesn't take long at all for approval. Mine was around a week. Check your Humana web site to follow the progress. Tricare seems to be less of a hassle than some of the other insurance companies. As for a young child I just know I couldn't carry anything over 5 pounds for around six weeks. I was moving around really good after I got out of the hospital and I think I could of handled a two year old.

Hi Tiffany, I have Tricare too. If you filled all the requirements it doesn't take long at all for approval. Mine was around a week. Check your Humana web site to follow the progress. Tricare seems to be less of a hassle than some of the other insurance companies. As for a young child I just know I couldn't carry anything over 5 pounds for around six weeks. I was moving around really good after I got out of the hospital and I think I could of handled a two year old.

Hi Tiffany, and welcome!

Congratulations to you as you start this incredible journey toward a new, healthier you! The process will bring a lot of questions to mind, for sure, and these forums are a great place to gather opinions and personal experience.

Everyone's insurance company is different, so it's hard to give you a definitive answer about how long things take. My time frame was almost exactly 4 months from my first appointment to checking into the hospital. Part of it depends on the requirements by your insurance, your PCP, your surgeon, and what you've done beforehand to prepare which you'll learn can vary greatly. Some get approval early on, some need to have all medical clearances completed before approval can be applied for.

Recovery time is another topic that's very individual. I go back to work tomorrow after being home for 2 weeks and one day. I had really no pain after 2 days at home, and can do pretty much everything that I did before- in fact, I have to remind myself to carry lighter loads and stop to rest often. It also can depend on what kind of surgery you're having as to what your recovery restrictions will be- is it a sleeve, RNY, a band, or switch?

One thing that you'll learn very quickly is how to listen to your body and how it's responding to the changes that will come about. Hopefully you have family/friends nearby that can drop it to help if you find you're having a hard day or just need the company or encouragement. Best of luck to you- I'm here to help if you have other questions!

Thank you so much!!! I'm do excited and nervous!! When did u have urs done, and are you happy? Also did you just have to pay the 12.00 copay? Was the anesthesia covered or seperate?

The length of time for approval will vary by insurance company. For me it was almost a year because the insurance required a 6 month medically supervised weight loss and exercise program. As for recovery time, I left the hospital after 2 days and I was up and about. I had some weight limitations for a few weeks. During this time you probably might have to avoid picking up and holding your daughter because of her weight.

That's the strange part. Tricare covered everything. I spent four days in the hospital and I ended up paying $25.00.

That's the strange part. Tricare covered everything. I spent four days in the hospital and I ended up paying $25.00.

Omg!! 4 days why!! I was

Told one night!!!

I live over one hundred miles from the hospital and the doctor wanted me to stay that long in case of complications. Still, after three days at home I was having internal bleeding and went back to the hospital for three more days. The emergency room, medical transport, and hospital stay was all covered by Tricare and I ended up paying $50.00.

RNY stands for Roux-en-y and that is what I had. I'm very happy with it. You should read everything you can about weight loss surgery to know what to expect. Don't just use the web. I bought several books on the subject to help me. A good one, The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass, was co-authored by the host of this web site.

I raised my children as a single parent and This is a case of where you need to do worst case scenario planning instead of best. We can tell you how well our surgery went - But it is not uncommon to feel bad for a week or two after the surgery.

Also, you might not be able to lift her for several weeks. Do you have someone who can stay with you for 2 weeks and longer if required.