Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This has probably been the hardest thing post op that I've had to get use to. I did try to practice it during my 2 week pre op diet, but knowing I still could if I wanted to, made it seem simpler, I guess. I have always enjoyed drinking my drink while I consume my meal....not being able to, now, has taken QUITE a bit of pleasure out of eating the little bit I do get to eat. That's probably a good thing, but I am afraid I'm never gonna get used to this. Not drinking during meals...is that a forever rule or just during certain stages? Merely curious..I'll adapt if I must, but the old me wants to dig my heels in.

In my surgeon's practice it is a forever rule. You really do get used to it after a while. It seems perfectly normal to me now.

No offense, because I could (and do) say this about myself just as easily -- the old you was not so great at establishing healthy eating habits. If she was terrific at it, you wouldn't have needed bariatric surgery. Tell the old you to shut up and that you are going to listen to your surgeon instead of to her ^_^

It's a forever rule. For me, there's a finite amount of space to put food. If I drink I'm uncomfortable. I've learned to prefer food to drink at mealtime.

In my surgeon's practice it is a forever rule. You really do get used to it after a while. It seems perfectly normal to me now.

No offense, because I could (and do) say this about myself just as easily -- the old you was not so great at establishing healthy eating habits. If she was terrific at it, you wouldn't have needed bariatric surgery. Tell the old you to shut up and that you are going to listen to your surgeon instead of to her ^_^

Oh LOL! No offense taken! You're 100% right! The old me...she sucks. I like the new me, I'm becoming. I'll trust you that I'll get used to it, and I'll work harder at accepting and embracing it. Thanks for the swift kick...I needed it! (I'll prolly need it a lot more before it's all said and done!)

This has been hard for me too. I'm getting used to it though. Still odd for me.

Not drinking during meals... forever rule?

@@Jennifer Rogers

sorry bud- not drinking with meals is a forever, and ever, and ever rule :( :angry:

i've always believed the Water rules are the hardest for newbies et al

stop drinking 30 minutes before you eat

never drink with food

wait 45-60 minutes after you eat before you drink again

drink 64 oz of Water a day (chrystal lite, room temp water are good too)

if you are having any problems with the above necessary water issues.......

SUCK IT UP!! :o :D :D

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

This is a hard one for me too!!!!

I try not to drink while eating but find that food feels "stuck" after 2 bites so I take sip of Water to get past the feeling. I find I can eat my alloted amount of food with a drink and only 1/4 to 1/2 without the liquid. I understand the theory that the sleeve can only hold so much but the reality is the "extra" will stay in the esophagus until the stomach empties. The other theory about avoiding liquids during a meal is to prevent dumping by "washing the food through the stomach".

I am not trying to suggest drinking liquids with meals is "ok", only that I have not been able to follow this particular "forever rule".

I am still a work in progress and by no means following this perfectly yet. I do find it's easier to follow if I make sure there is no drink sitting near me when I'm eating. The easiest meal I have adjusted to is Breakfast. I just don't make a drink in the morning and eat before I have anything to drink. Then I typically leave and don't have anything to drink until I get to work.

I'm still working on the other meals. Last night I was eating something and drinking and I suddenly filled all the way up. I wanted to burp but couldn't and was uncomfortable for a few minutes. Lesson learned, I should try not to be so hard headed...

It took me a while to adjust, but now I'm used to it. In fact, when I set the table, I put out drinks for my wife and daughter but not for myself. If a bite gets stuck, I'll take a sip of of theirs -- BUT -- rarely does that help. As food/drink backs up my esophagus, it triggers the vomit button and must be taken care of. Also, sometimes I'll forget not to drink before a meal, then I can't fit the amount I know I should eat in during the meal. And then... I get hungry between meals. Best just not to do it.

It is a hard habit to break. I drank so much during meals and in between. Now I find I am focusing on trying to get my Protein and not drinking enough at all. I went to my first personal trainer session though and drank half my water bottle during my 1 hour. I was impressed.

You could personalize your problem by giving your new stomach a name. Mine is Miss Tummy, and she is the boss of me. Believe me, if she does not like something...she gives it right back or makes me suffer at least four hours. My own well-being depends on how I take care of her.

For me it is not a question of "want" it is simply "can't". I too used to drink before, during and after meals. I thought there was absolutely no way I would ever get used to not having something there to drink while I ate. Boy I was wrong...Initially I did it because I was told it was a rule. But eventually I learned it was an easy rule to follow. I have had no problems with food feeling stuck while eating, so that wasn't the issue. Sometime I am just thirsty after I eat. ( all depends on what was in the meal) For instance if I eat something with onions I want a drink pretty soon after. Yet if I drink too soon, I hurt. Doesn't matter what it is I drink ( Water, tea, milk etc) it causes discomfort and pain. I have to hold to pretty much an hour after I eat to not feel it. ( And depending on what the meal is, sometimes longer) I will admit I probably do not get enough fluids in. It hasn't caused me great issues with dehydration, I just know I could do better. I will also admit I do drink before meals. That has never been an issue either. I don't drink mass amounts, but I may finish a beverage I have been sipping on then go have my meal. But these are my experiences. I saw someone post a video demonstration as to why we should not drink while we eat. They put applesauce in a sieve. It dripped very slowly and most of the applesauce stayed on top, just a small amount coming through. Then they added water...The more they added the faster the applesauce went through the sieve. It only took seconds once the Fluid was added for the sieve to be empty. Same concept with your stomach and food and drinking. If you add Fluid too soon you just push the food through, leading to over eating.

Edited by Roo101769

Occasionally you'll need a drink when you have something overly spicy or it goes down the wrong pipe, but 99% of the time you don't. After awhile, it becomes automatic. This is the thing I was worried about the most, but I found it was quite easy to follow.

This may be a question for another thread, but I'm curious. My surgeon said I could drink up to 10 minutes BEFORE I eat but not during or for 45 mins after, which I always follow. I see that some don't drink for 30 minutes or more before and after a meal, does anyone know the benefit of not drinking BEFORE a meal? I've always wondered.