Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"You're not even that big... I think you need to be like 600lbs..." Wait..WHAT?!

Last night I went for my sleep study. The tech was setting everything up, explaining how this was going to work, etc. We some how got on the topic of WLS. He didnt know I was going for WLS & thats why my DR sent me for the study. He looked shocked that I would be considering the WLS. He said to me that I wasnt even that big, wls is more for people that are like 600lbs, and that he thinks DRs are just pushing surgery for so many people as a money maker. *Probably why they are sending me for this sleep study, cuz it would help qualify me for the surgery...not that they are really concerned that somebody my age *27* could possibly have it. Yes, granted I am not 300, 400, 500 or 600lbs..

First of all..... Screw you dude! I told him that by medical standards I am considered obese (maybe morbidly) & thats not healthy for anyone. I do hold my weight very well generally speaking so I do not look like I weigh quite as much as I do...but lately my BMI has bounced between 37 & close to 40. He then tells me that if I just bust my @$$ exercising daily and eat right that the weight would fall off because of how old I am. Oh really? Thats it? What about this last year busting my behind working out & eating according to the nutritionist to only lose a few lbs total?? Well, he thinks I just need to stick with it. Dont give up. WLS is giving up? No, its not.

I have always been a bigger person (except maybe mid-teenage years I wasnt quite as big). But for the last 8 years I have been extremely over weight, struggling to knock some weight off, etc. So, dont tell me that I'm just not trying hard enough. Mind you, this is a man who was maybe 150lbs max and thats probably the biggest he's ever been...If you dont know the struggle, dont bash those who have struggled & who are trying to better themselves. Most ins co make you work to qualify for WLS..They just dont say "oh...okay, lets go with this because you want to do it."

What made this even better (insert sarcasm here).... He kept referencing this 600lb man that he saw not too long ago.. He said all this man talked about was "fried chicken, fast foods , etc" and how this was a perfect example of why / how Drs are just pushing for surgeries (even with obvious signs that somebody is going to fail).

What kind of ignorant remarks have you heard from people about your WLS journey?

His approach and comments were totally inappropriate and you should file a complaint with his supervisor.

That's funny, because I get the distinct message of the doctor trying to show me all the reasons why this wls is more of a last resort! I have gotten the very same comments. It sucks because it tends to erode at our ability to make a decision for ourselves!

Everyone won't understand, just try and stay focused. I am 276.4 lbs, and I believe this surgery will help me turn back the clock on some of my health issues. One of my parents is against my having the surgery... I remain respectful, but her disagreeing won't sway me. I know she's concerned, but I am doing this for me. Sorry you had a bad experience during your sleep lab.

First contact the head of where you had this surgery. This is completely inappropriate from a "medical professional" and his boss needs to know

Second, next time shut down the conversation. This is none of your business. I am proceeding with a decisions that is right for me and my situation. If you continue I would like your supervisor to chaperone the remainder of this appt.

Third. Call your insurance. File a quality of care complaint. The care you received was highly lacking in quality. They will ensure this person gets appropriately educated and no other future patient suffers the same.

Unacceptable. I encourage you to make the appropriate phone calls

This is so dejavu!! The pulmonologist I saw after my sleep study told me the same thing. He said he would not be authorizing WLS for me, because I am not big enough. He said I needed to be closer to 400 pounds. Wait...WHAT?? Crazy stoopid Dr!! For one thing....I don't need YOUR authorization, Mr MAN!! I know I qualify, and why would I wait till I was that large if I can take care of it now, and achieve health and well being? Some of these Doctors are not very bright. :angry:

U won't be able to talk the stupid out of people trust me this I know! Save your breath for your recovery and excercise after surgery rather than defending a decision to better your health to people that cannot comprehend what it's like and just want to think that if u ate less move more it would all magically get better most of us need to loose significant weight to be able to begin effective excercise to keep losing and maintain weight loss after the surgery I don't think they be convinced so I refuse to debate those people our time and energy is better spent moving forward to better health

That guy seriously violated HIPPA by talking about his 600lb patient. That was seriously inappropriate. I feel bad for the 600 lb dude.

I don't think he violated HIPPA unless he provided identifying information OR he lived in a town with so few large 600 lb people it would be easily to identify.

NEVERTHELESS

His behavior was unprofessional and unethical and he should be reported to his supervisor.

My job said that no matter what even if you don't use identifiers, you are violating HIPPA. You never know who is friends or family to some people. For all he knew that guy could have been a cousin, a close friend, co worker, a number of things. And he did use identifiers by specifying how big this person was, it's not like 600 lbs is that hard to see from a person. It is very descrptive.

Edited by AuriP

Actually I got this from the Government website. I'm sure his weight was placed in his chart thus everything placed in his chart is protected by Hippa and he violated it by discussing it with a non approved 3rd party namely OP.

What Information Is Protected

Information your doctors, nurses, and other health care providers put in your medical recordConversations your doctor has about your care or treatment with nurses and othersInformation about you in your health insurer’s computer systemBilling information about you at your clinicMost other health information about you held by those who must follow these laws

I teach health care law and HIPPA specifically. You are right the weight may be sufficient enough identifier depending on the size of the town. In New York City, I suspect there are at least several hundred 600lb men not so much in Dayton, OH. Your job is correct that the better part of valor is never discuss patients even generically. A generic discussion may be inappropriate for a lot of reasons -- BUT without identifying information it is not a violation of HIPPA. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/De-identification/guidance.html

My job said that no matter what even if you don't use identifiers, you are violating HIPPA. You never know who is friends or family to some people. For all he knew that guy could have been a cousin, a close friend, co worker, a number of things. And he did use identifiers by specifying how big this person was, it's not like 600 lbs is that hard to see from a person. It is very descrptive.

Edited by MsUjima

I honestly would never feel comfortable going to that office, specifically if that person was still working there. I have my days where I really want to complain about it to my husband but since I would never want to be complained about in that capacity I refrain. I don't understand how a lot of health care workers don't take this more seriously. Thank you for your insight MsUjima.

Some people are just so ignorant! A few weeks ago, I went with my best friend to the salon to get her hair cut. She's talking to the stylist and her big mouth tells the woman I'm having wls in a week. I'm a private person and it was not her place to be telling people that. I took it in stride tho. So this woman turns and looks at me and she's like what?? Oh my god you're not even that big, how much do you weigh? I said well that's private, but I am 5'3" and my bmi is well over 40. She's like ohh. Well you don't look like you need it, usually people that are like 400 lbs need it, but good luck honey.

I was so annoyed. First of all, like you said, if you don't know the struggle then just shut up. I was 250 the morning of my surgery last week. But I was 275 when I started the process. At 5'3", that is pretty fluffy! I just can't stand when people are so judgemental.

I agree - that was incredibly inappropriate. The tech is NOT a doctor and has no business at all giving you any medical advice! He way overstepped his bounds. Even if he were a full-fledged doctor, he isn't YOUR doctor and was only there for one specific purpose, to hook up some wires to conduct your sleep study. He isn't there to comment on your weight, your surgery plans, your finances, your job, your dog or anything else. He was just a smart-ass punk giving his unsolicited opinion about something he was clearly ignorant about. I would disregard anything he says to the same degree as if it were the cashier at the grocery store trying to give you medical advice.

You know what they say: opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one!