Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out over fills!

Hi everyone. I am going to get my Lap band on Nov 6th with Obesity good bye. I am not scared or nervous about the procedure, infact I can't sleep I am so excited about it. I am however so so worried about getting fills. I am in Tampa Fl and have been checking all around and can't find any dr to do the fills if they are needed. I am paying for this band with my own money and can't afford to keep going to mexico! HELP

for me to return to my mexican doctor for a fill (than get it here in STL Missouri area) It costs me about $150 price line ticket (I did find one in sept through aa for $208), $75 hotel per night, $100 floro and $110 for transportation (I had the driver pick me up - but I brought my baby and she has a car seat- and it made DH feel safer than Taxi's & bus). They want $400 for fill + the hospitals cost for flouro- $ 100 - $300 depending on amount of time on table

I also scheduled it with our band friend and my MIL to share cost of transportation and hotel. We had another fun weekend in TJ. I did bring my own Protein shakes for after and loved the Soup at the hotel

Total here:

$500 to $800

and Dr. Here is conservative

starts everyone at 1 cc and goes up .1 cc a fill

So I expected that it would take a whole lot of fills on me- this scared me on spending up to $800 every month like I see some people going back till they hit their sweet spot.

Total in MX

$493 (using Max numbers & there transportation)

There approach is to try to get that sweet spot quicker

I got 2.6 cc to start out at first fill.

I have been loosing 2-2.5 lbs a week since the 18th and today broke into the 230's.

I did go and see the Dr. here in MO- for two reasons- One in case ther is an emergency, and two- in case I needed him later and he quit taking Mx patients, I was already an established patient. But it was just for a check up. He is trying to start a same day surgery clinic here so out of pocket costs will be less for us self payers, but it will take a whole lot of time. He was a wonderful guy and has a terriffic office staff.

I just feel more comfortable with the followup of the guys who did the surgery.

A couple of questions:

Who is doing your surgery?

Where are you getting it done?

Are you getting a LAPBAND or MIDBAND? It makes a difference when looking for a fill doc. Some docs won't take Mexico patients and then the ones that do take them won't take Midband patients.

Contact Inamed if you are getting a LAPBAND and they can help locate some docs in your surrounding area that do this procedure. www.inamed.com

As far as Midband I can't give you specifics on that.

You should set up aftercare before the surgery anyway in case of emergencies.

I asked my surgeon that placed my band for a list of docs that take his patients. Be careful though some people have been given a list and the docs they contacted would not take them after all. SO do the research before getting banded.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Please get your aftercare lined up BEFORE you get your band! You're making a big investment in a very worthwhile project - YOU! You have to be able to get follow-up care! Best of luck to you!:)

There is Dr Kim in the Orlando area that will fil Mexican pts. I live in Jacksonville and Dr Shariat here will also do fills and f/u. These may be options for you if you can't get back to Mx.

The price ends up about the same for me, but time is aslo important, and I like having someone local in case of emergency.

Good Luck!

Lisa

thanks so so much lisa. i am starting to get so worried because Dr ponce de leon is doing my surgery on the 5th of Nov and I just spoke to Dr Grossbard in Zephyrhills and his nurse was like "no way.. i would never recommend him" and that they wouldn't do his fills and no one else would either.