Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could I have torn my port loose?

I've searched the forum, but haven't found where anyone else has had this. When I'd been home about a week, I'd felt a stitch pop at what I believe was my port site, the only wound that hurt, on the lower left end. Now I think my port may be hanging loose.

I say believe, because at my post op instruction, my surgeon's translator pointed to the site at my xiphoid, (5-6 inches above the belly button, just lower than between the boobs), and said it was my port site, but in the rest of the lower row of wounds, only the one on the left end hurt.

It was a burning pinching pain, that I really felt with activity. The patient coordinator said IT was my port site. From the description everyone else gave, I believed it probably really was my port site.

ANYWAY, that popped stitch hurt like hell, then I felt a relief sensation of the burning pinching pain, and a weighty sensation on my abdomen, that I thought must be my port lying over my 'innerds'.

If I press, I can feel in an area 2 inches below the xiphoid wound, a hard protrusion, that I think my be my port. I can't feel whether there's a port under any of my puncture wounds, all I can feel is the healing scarred area.

After the intial stitch pop and pain relief, the pain at the left abdominal puncture returned after a little while, but not as pinching as before. I'm not in any pain at all now, only the mildest of tenderness at the abdomen, like I shouldn't attempt sit-ups yet, but other wise all is well.

Surely they use more than a single stitched place to hold these on? Ever hear of a port that completely floats free?

I emailed my patient coordinator, and he doubts that it's broke completely loose, but is consulting the surgeon just in case.

Hey Pam, Oh my goodness, I hope that is not what has happened. I had that same burning pain a lot with activity for about 2 weeks out, felt like a hot poker sticking in me at my port site. Hopefully your port is ok. I will be thinking about you and saying a prayer everything is ok. You have done so well. Keep up the great work. Keep up posted. Hugz

Jodie

Pam, do you remember doing anything that could have torn your port loose? Donali made a lunge to her car backseat and did pop a stitch. She said it was a searing pain. She did get it fixed by her surgeon. Some surgeons do not stitch the port in place. My surgeon stitches it in 2 places. I have the "sternal port" that you referred to. I did have some extremely painful spasms at my lower left incision. But I was sent home w/ an abdominal drain for a week at that site (not the norm). (Due to other things done that weren't Band related.) I just assumed that the drain tube was pinching/poking me in the left ovary area. Please take it easy on ab exercises right now. Keep an eye on this and if you keep hurting and/or think something is wrong, listen to your body. Best of luck to you!:)

It's a bit confusing, the terminology, however, I understand that it is entirely possible that BOTH places are called your PORT site. Reason being, the port to your band may well be stationed in the sternum area AND, the 'port' site where the laporoscopic procedure was done is definitely in the lower left area. This is called the 'port' site for the procedure because it is where the largest of laporoscopic instruments is introduced into the abdomen. This is a general term for all lap procedures, not just the band. So, it could well be true that you do, in fact, have a sternal port.

I believe they can see on x-ray if the band port has come undone. Sometimes, they do go in and fix them in a minor procedure. I hope this is not the case for you, but if it is, take heart that this is not all that uncommon and very easily taken care of.

Here is a link that might help you to understand this better.

http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/tectec.html

Keep us posted on what develops!

Hi Pam -

Yes, I did indeed tear one of my port sutures while reaching too hard for something in the back of the car. The pain was unbelieveable for two weeks, and then just very uncomfortable. I could see the port bulging under the skin.

What had happened is my surgeon only puts in two of the four available anchor stitches. These stitches are to the fascia of the muscle, so you know that is a very thin and delicate piece of tissue, and easily torn. Only one of the stitches pulled loose, and the port turned upside down. I believe that when it was the most painful it was actually on its side.

I showed it to Dr. Lopez and he said it was fine, but I said "No it's NOT!! It HURTS!" So I had it flipped back into place and restitched. They fixed it through the orginial incision, and the recovery was much less painful than the original placement.

I believe it is common for the European surgeons to NOT suture the port at all, so if you are not in any pain I would not worry about it. Your tissues should encapsulate the port and hold it in place. The only thing is if the port is encapsulated upside down, they may have to fix that if they cannot manually turn it back upside right at the time of your fill.

Yikes. I don't think I ever had a stitch pop, but some of the other pains I felt.

I can feel my port under my skin. I have a feeling that you feeling yours might not have anything to do with your stitch. The port isn't all that big, but in terms of a foreign object in the body it's pretty good size. :)

When I started moving more after I started recovering, I felt pain kind of like you are describing in my port area. It was kind of scary, but after a couple of good walks it went away completely.

Anyhow, I personally would give it a little time and see if you feel better, but if you are scared, don't hesitate to at least call your surgeon to see what he says.