Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be concerned about diet & Exercise NOW?

I am 1 week and 1 day out from surgery and on full fluids. Yesterday was my first hungry day and I ate (drank?) more than I have in a while. This morning the scale was up about a pound.

I have been eating cream Soups for lunch and dinner and I know that they are high in fat. Should I be concerned about this at this point? Should I start a regular exercise regime now? I am really worried about gaining any weight that I have already lost. Very anxious about it as a matter of fact.

Today for lunch I had small bowl of cream of broccolli Soup with a scoop of Protein Powder. I was still hungry so I then had a Protein shake. Is it normal to eat this much? It seems like suddenly from having trouble eating a 1/2 container of Jello, I can now eat a full can of soup!

Any thoughts or suggestions would REALLY be appreciated.

Hey Susan...even tho you are on "full fluids" be wary of how much you are "eating". If you look at the TLBC info, they are still saying to eat only 1/4 to 3/4 cup of Soup (for instance) ...certainly not a whole can! Don't forget to look at the portions they are recommending thru this full Fluid stage. Measure out what you are supposed to have and STICK TO IT!!! I know it is hard, but try (you did the pre-op, afterall, so you can do this too!). Willpower plays a much bigger role until you get proper restriction.

Yes, it is normal to start to feel hunger....most people do (I envy those few who don't)

Certainly don't worry about weight loss/gain during the first 6 weeks post-op. Even after your first one or two fills, you may not be "on track"....don't forget...it isn't supposed to "work" (the band) until it is properly restricted....so any weight loss prior to that point is just a bonus but shouldn't be "expected".

Exercise is a huge part of this equation and yes, it is recommended you exercise...but not until you are able/capable. If you were working out prior to being banded, you can start much sooner than someone who wasn't....but follow your doctor's guidelines.

You are right about the portions Yoda - I thought that was if you can ONLY eat that much. What a dummy I am! I better be careful because the thought of gaining weight right now is stressing me out!

The last time I worked out regularly was about a year ago! I will start again, but just walking outside or on the treadmill.

I think it is important to worry about diet and exercise at this point. Right now, you are to be concentrating on healing, but dont use it as an excuse to fall into old habits.

Even though you are still in full liquids strive to make better choices. Look for those Soups lower in fat and calories and stick to your portions, it will make it easier once you are through your recovery.

As for the exercise, stick to what your clinic wants you to be doing, but I think it is important to walk and make exercise part of your new lifestyle before falling back into old habits.

You are truly in the hardest part of this process, but it will get better as you do. Remember to work the band, even when it is not working for you.

Andrew

I agree with Andrew. I would not be worried about weight loss so much but I would keep an eye on portions and nutrition content of food. As for exersize I would say it is a MUST. For the first couple months I was walking about 30 min every 5 days but after the two months when I felt my body was fully recovered I got into a more complete workout routine. I think it has helped me a lot.

Hi all, I'm new to this site, but have enjoyed reading everyone's entries for the last number of days.

I was banded on April 19, 2007 (TLBC-Dr. Yau). I am completing the first week of pureed food. I have found this stage a huge challenge as I feel nauseous after eating just a small amount of food. According to the literature, I should be eating about 3/4 of a cup of food per meal. I am uncomfortable with anything more than 1/2 cup. I tried blended lasagna the other night (1/2 cup) and I felt like I'd swallowed a cannon ball. I didn't expect this. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

As for pushing the amounts of fluids, I spoke to a post-op counsellor who said that it is very important to eat only the amounts and fluids suggested. She couldn't stress enough how important the healing time is in the broader context of the banding experience. She said the biggest job for me right now is to heal. The weight loss will come in the right time.

Soonsunny

Hi & welcome soonsunny.

Don't forget that the 3/4 cup is a guide for most people. If you can only eat 1/2 cup....than that is no biggie....as long as it is rich in Protein etc. There will come a time when you can eat more. Don't force it.

I tried blended lasagna the other night (1/2 cup) and I felt like I'd swallowed a cannon ball. I didn't expect this. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Absolutely, and as much as I hate to say it... get used to it. Strive to avoid it! But it almost certainly will happen again, and your responsibility will be to do whatever you have to to avoid it, and figure out why it happened! Maybe you didn't puree it enough, maybe you took it too much at one time... maybe it has spinach in it, and that's something you can no longer tolerate (I say spinach specifically, cause thats something I put in my lasagna!)... who knows. It's gonna take some trial and error.

When it happens, your best bet is to just try to wait it out. Walk around, jump up and down, bend over, whatever happens to work for you to 'unstick' that stuff and make the pain/discomfort stop! (short of vomitting, you don't wanna do that!)

And anyways, Welcome! You're new! :)

Umm....im on full Fluid, and i can drink a can of soup....is this bad? I am also starting to be able to drink more....should i REALLY be super hardcore about sips or is it ok...I'm worried....i dont want to be like...on well i feel fine so it must be fine...But thats kind of what im going through. But really...i'm young, so i'm guessing my stomach healed quickly, like yesterday i was out and walked a good 2Kms no biggie...i'm feeling pretty much 100% and im 1 week out of surgery. I mean, it is only liquids, and the operation shouldnt have an effect on liquids should it? All it does is make the stomach smaller for food...but liquids are liquids...they go down easy no matter how small the hole...right? I don't know...You can't stretch your pouch on liquids can you? I have talked to another bander who is my age and he says he can get liquids down just like before...it's only the food thats not (which is what i'm hoping...its the point of the operation) And he's lost over 100lbs....so to me that means something. I'm throwing a lot of questions out there...sorry. I'm sure everything is fine....i'll stop worrying.

IMO--as for the weight gain....i wouldnt be worried, i mean, you werent drinking enough calories and such in the Water and Clear Liquids stage...so i'm sure it's your body fighting you now to take back everything you lost...just like the yo-yo diets. But now that you'll start consistantly getting enough calories, just much less than pre-band. You should start losing again.

robgoblin: all the info re. portion sizes (even the full Fluid stage) are on the instructions provided by TLBC.

Ultimately, it is up to you whether or not you follow them "religiously" or not....your choice and you naturally have to do what you feel comfortable with.

That being said, I would not advise others to disregard the instructions...the choice is theirs if they wish to do so.

Don't forget....even though you "feel fine"....you can still feel fine but you can't "see" your insides so you don't know if it has completely healed....apparently you need 6 weeks to "heal".

Just my two cents...take it or leave it!

I think Yoda is raising a good point here. Stick to what your clinic is telling you in your post op instructions, they are there for a reason. No matter what your age or condition you have just been through a major surgery and your stomach has a new device sutured to it which needs time to heal in place.

Take it easy at this stage. You need to be following the rules laid out for you. Afterall, it is an inability to follow rules regarding food that got most of us to the point of needing the band. I would hate for anyone to jeopardize your bands.

Take care of yourselves.

Andrew

Gotta say I agree with Yoda and Gaffer... stick to the rules for this, it is so important in the big picture. This isn't a short term thing, it is something that is going to be with you for the long haul... lol and speaking from 52 years of hauling my body around.... at 19 you gotta a long way to go baby!!

Yeah, i agree.....i will be taking it easy on the fluids from now on. I thank you all for the encouragement and advice.