Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after surgery?!

Hi all,

I was banded on April 30, 2007. It has been about 10 days and I am starting to feel depressed. About what? Im not quite sure, but I am crying easily, restless, wanting to do something, but I am not quite sure what yet.

I know it sounds crazy, but I almost feel lost. Lost with what to do with myself.

Anyone else experience this after surgery? I would sure like to know that I am not alone.:help:

YES!! I actually was told by my patient advocate that it is common to experience depression 2-3 weeks after surgery. We talked about it on the Violets thread and determined that it probably has to do with fat cells shrinking and releasing estrogen into your system...which can cause PMS symptoms. Sound familiar? It goes away in a week or two....well, it did for me anyway. Hope you feel better real soon!

That makes me fill better :) I was told that food is like an addiction and when we are "coming off" food that it is natural and necessary to replace that addiction with something else...so i think i will go try some retail therapy.

I have also planted an herb garden, started reading more books, crocheting, and scrapbooking....just trying to keep busy.

Thanks

Would you classify yourself as an emotional eater?

If so, you may well be mourning.

I think I am an emotional eater. I eat when I am happy and sad. It like any other addiction that I have ever had. (I HOPE) At first it is difficult, and your body misses the satisfaction it receives from it, but eventually everything is ok. Don't get me wrong..once an addict always an addict, but you learn ways to keep from folding under the pressure ;)

Hey sorry to hear that you are going through the depression mode. Did your Dr. prescrib you any medication. My dr did (they say they do this at the Bariatric Centers) because people that used food for happiness and sadness will go through a withdrawl. That is one reason why they give you almost a 6 month supply. I dont use mine because I never used food as a way out, I have just always been overweight. Do you have anything else of interest that could devert your mind from what is making you feel this way. Pick up the phone and call someone to talk, or do something that will keep you busy unable to get a chance to sit a think (think about the wieght that you are going to lose and how proud you will be of yourself). If all else do not work contact your Dr. they can help you get through this time of life changing atmosphere. Good Luck and I wish you the BEST!!!

I went through a short period of depression, not necessarily over the food part, but over WHAT THE HECK HAVE I JUST DONE TO MYSELF!!!!!!! I couldnt believe that I had let myself get so fat as to need to go to surgery....I cried my little heart out for a while then felt better and better each day. Of course, I posted on here and someone was right there with me the whole way...Seems like there is always ONE post that really hits home, the other are good, but one that really points something out or makes you feel so much better....Its great here..let it all out and you will feel better. I think feeling lost is kinda like no one else you knows has this band but you, you have a lap family online, but no one else in person...that can make you feel lost. Keep your chin up hun...it will get better as each day passes and you get more confident in your decision and when you start getting some food in your system....Deanna

I am fully expecting to be depressed after the surgery. I'm going through some pretty emotional stuff right now-- before the surgery.

I know about the toxins and hormones in the fat cells, but also about the feeling of being lost. In the past I've fasted, and on my fasts I would feel lost because there wasn't even food there to eat and I didn't know what to do with myself because my whole life was about cooking for and others and planning dinners out, and everything was eating. (I have a family). It must be even harder to eat but only just a little. I could fast to lost weight, but it's made me sick in the past and I need to be able to eat a meal and then STOP regularly!

What is shrinking violets? My surgery is tentatively in June. Insurance approval is pending, although I am over 60% over, have proved 5 years of that, and I have sleep apnea (co-morbidity) which I was not able to tolerate the breathing machine to treat. I'm getting my surgery done at a place about an hour from my house and there are no support groups in my area so I came here!

I am fully expecting to be depressed after the surgery. I'm going through some pretty emotional stuff right now-- before the surgery.

I know about the toxins and hormones in the fat cells, but also about the feeling of being lost. In the past I've fasted, and on my fasts I would feel lost because there wasn't even food there to eat and I didn't know what to do with myself because my whole life was about cooking for and others and planning dinners out, and everything was eating. (I have a family). It must be even harder to eat but only just a little. I could fast to lost weight, but it's made me sick in the past and I need to be able to eat a meal and then STOP regularly!

What is shrinking violets? My surgery is tentatively in June. Insurance approval is pending, although I am over 60% over, have proved 5 years of that, and I have sleep apnea (co-morbidity) which I was not able to tolerate the breathing machine to treat. I'm getting my surgery done at a place about an hour from my house and there are no support groups in my area so I came here!

Actually, it's NOT "harder to eat but only just a little". I thought the same thing too, but actually it's a RELIEF to be able to feel so satisfied with about 1/3 of the food you used to eat at a normal meal!! I think it's pretty darn cool! :biggrin1:

"Shrinking Violets" is the group of bandsters that were banded in the month of April...it's just our name. Your welcome to come visit our thread...it's always hopping!

Hi all,

It has been about 10 days and I am starting to feel depressed. About what? Im not quite sure, but I am crying easily, restless, wanting to do something, but I am not quite sure what yet.

I haven't even had the surgery yet, but just my pre-op diet has caused an elevated level of unhappiness. As best as I can tell, a substantial portion of my happiness comes from eating and being deprived of it naturally reduces my level of joy and pleasure.

I am preparing for a significant initial increase in unhappiness and depression following the surgery. On the advice of friends and family, I am looking for alternate expressions of happiness - I have a bunch of feel-good movies and books lined up for after surgery. I am planning on spending lots of time talking with the friends and family who usually elevate my feelings of happiness. Whatever it takes to get through a major life changing event in my life!

Hi all,

I was banded on April 30, 2007. It has been about 10 days and I am starting to feel depressed. About what? Im not quite sure, but I am crying easily, restless, wanting to do something, but I am not quite sure what yet.

I know it sounds crazy, but I almost feel lost. Lost with what to do with myself.

Anyone else experience this after surgery? I would sure like to know that I am not alone.:help:

One of the reasons that you feel depressed after surgery is because of the anesthesia. Anesthesia is a Central Nervous System Depressant. It takes 3 to 4 weeks, on average, for the anesthesia to "wear-off". Give yourself time for this to happen.

I have been seeing a bariatric psychologist. The one who I had my psych eval with actually. She said that in over half of lapband patients they need to prescribe some sort of anti depressant within the first six months. This is a life change and that is extremely difficult to process. you very literally wake up from surgery a different person to a certain extent and that makes old habits hard to break. I think it's great to recognize that. i have noticed how anxious I get at night and now i am not able to eat to cover up for that anxiety. Keeping busy is the best way to combat the problem. I go for a walk, or shop or call a friend. I am trying very hard right now to beat the feelings and NOT to go on anti depressants but the fact is I know its pretty normal. I just keep looking forward to the future and thinking how good I am going to feel. Think, no matter where you are on your band journey this is going to be your last "fat summer." Your last summer at this weight and level of uncomfort. That is pretty good news no matter how sad you may be feeling at the moment...

Hi,

i know how you feel. I felt the same way for the first 5-8 days. I was told not to drive. I am a very active person who doesn't sit long. So when i was expected to not do much, it drove me nutty. Try taking small walks and if someone can drive you anywhere like a short trip to the store or something. change can will help you feel better. Hope you feel better soon. I am almost 3 weeks out and i am so happy now and feeling much better. My husband has even commented how nice i have been.

Hello

I am so glad I found this and realize I am not alone. I have been full of mixed emotions. My friends don't know how to deal with me so they treat me different so I decided to get some yard work done I have not had the energy or desire to do the last 2 years in my major funk, so now no one is talking to me, and telling me I have changed and I'm different.

Well it really hurts me and I am the same person, just in a different place in my life. I knew having this surgery lots of things were going to change but I don't think I expected my friends to bail on me, but I am not different, deep down I'm the same person, just trying to deal with the adjustment.