Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question re: post-op diets

Hi:

I'm considering getting banded. I understand the various stages of diets from liquid to reg. foods. However I am confused on a few things. Can you ever eat sugar, caffeine or alcohol again? I know these are bad for you and not working toward weight loss but don't know if I can go the rest of my life without a cookie or caffeine again. Help, I'm so nervous.

Thanks, Tesma

I know from my doc they dont want me eating alot of sugar..mostly sugar free..I dont think that they want you drinking alot of caffeine....but that might just be the carbonated kind...I am not much of a coffee drinker once in awhile...thats all that I know...someone else will chime in with what they know too!! Deanna

Hi:

I'm considering getting banded. I understand the various stages of diets from liquid to reg. foods. However I am confused on a few things. Can you ever eat sugar, caffeine or alcohol again? I know these are bad for you and not working toward weight loss but don't know if I can go the rest of my life without a cookie or caffeine again. Help, I'm so nervous.

Thanks, Tesma

I can, all three. We don't dump like Bypass patients can on sugar, which can be a pro or a con depending on the person. I can't drink beer, it's too carbonated.

Approaches vary as to whether or not we should. Personally, I got banded to try and be as normal as possible in my relationship to food. Which means a treat once in a while, I just have learned to make myself put it in my food totals for that day and account for the calories.

I don't see any problem with Caffeine, by the way. I have a non-fat latte for Breakfast pretty much everyday.

Hi:

Thanks, Tesma

Hi, I'm new to Lapband talk so bear with me. I've been banded since 7/16/06 about 9&1/2 months ago, I'm down 87 lbs and I feel fantastic. (I look pretty good too, if I do say so myself) I do agree with LisaH when she said she got the band to be have a normal relationship with food. I myself don't drink but after 3 months my doc allows caffeine, (I only have one in the am the rest of the day I go Decaf whether it is hot or cold) And most of all once in a while even naturally thin people have a "real" treat. But for the most part you will come up with a treat that is high Protein that you love.

I have a Protein Shake everynight -- 1 scoop of Protein Powder, 1 tbl spn of Peanut Butter , Water or milk and ice cubes in the blender or magic bullet. it is great. you can experiement with fruit too.

P.S. I have recently discovered that I do not like cake, it felt like a sponge in my mouth...a day for celebration!!!

So good luck!:)

Thanks so much for the information. I agree. That's what I want a normal relationship with food. I think the most difficult thing for me to give up will be Diet Pepsi, I'm totally addicted.

Just a thought I was the biggest pop attict around about 5 to 6 cans a day it was deit pop though. I havent had one in over a week and really not even thinking of it. unless that will change at a later date.

Do you think the surgery has allowed you to kick the Diet pop habit? I think I could give up the carbonation but I sure need the caffiene to me started in the a.m. Do you think they make caffiene Crystal light. JUst joking. Thanks for info. Marcy

Do you think the surgery has allowed you to kick the Diet pop habit? I think I could give up the carbonation but I sure need the caffiene to me started in the a.m. Do you think they make caffiene Crystal light. JUst joking. Thanks for info. Marcy

I wonder if you crushed no-doze and mixed it in? :rolleyes: :heh:

I was worried about giving up beer, I love beer. But after my one-and-only experience trying to drink it, I miss it a lot less. I felt horrible after about 1/4 of a beer. Negative reinforcement can be a good learning tool.

I remember when they told me no more soda...ever...the carbonation can stretch the new pouch. I felt a little panic because as you all already know about "addiction" . I'm happy to say that it will be 10 months on the 17th of May and I have not EVEN once felt the need to drink a soda (and I used to use a diet pepsi instead of coffee to get my caffeine.) While I was preparing for my surgery, this time last year, the nutritionist/educator said that sometimes we find we like things we didn't like before. This turned out to be kinda true, I now actually like apple sauce, the unsweetened kind.

Also, I start my day now with reg. hot cup of tea (after 3 mos. my docs allow caffeine.) Throughout the day I use Decaf.

As far as cravings go, I actually crave my Protein Shakes that I make. I mentioned them yesterday. (milk, Protein powder, ice cubes , fruit or Peanut Butter. )

I do also get at least 75 grams of Protein a day from these shakes, I wanted to preserve my muscle as much as possible.

Sorry, I tend to be long winded. It comes from being an RN we are born teachers.:embarassed:

Actually they do, it's called Crystal Light Energy and it has 60 mg of caffeine in it, about the same as a can of soda.

My nutritionist says NO CAFFEINE for at least the first couple of months, you are getting used to your band and trying to get enough liquid and food in and caffeine is a diuretic. You will not be well-hydrated if you are taking in caffeine.

I gave it up in December because of a heart issue, so I'm one step ahead of the game, I guess.

Tesma,

I drink all decaf....the nurse said that the caffeine will cause you to dehydrate...so ....I have not had any caffeine for 6 weeks and 4 days...but who is counting..lol.....I really don't miss it...I do fine with decaf.....

Someday, I plan on having a cookie...just not the whole bag of Cookies...

I drank 4-6 cans of diet soda a day before I got the band. I haven't had one in 3 months, I can tell you that once in a great while I have the urge to grab a soda and chug the entire can down, but I don't....I paid out of pocket for this and I need it to work. Plus, I don't know what it is, but my skin is in much better condition, much less dry, and I think it has to do with not having the soda....

As for sugar and alcohol, I have had some of both, but I do it in moderation. The sugar thing is the hardest, because so many sweet things are still very easy to eat....chocolate, ice cream, caramel.....the band doesn't really restrict those things, so I do my best to stay away from because they just slow down the progress.

Good luck!