Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on Friday May 4th and have had issues with gas in my shoulder, in the front, not the back. I have walked and taken gas ex but this is so painful that I still have to take pain meds. The area where I had surgery seems fine and isnt really painful at all its just this darn shoulder. I seem to be pretty swollen and its painful to take a deep breath. I am running a low grade fever and just feeling horrible. Any suggestions? Thanks

Susan

If you are running a fever, contact your doctor I did have gas pains in different parts of my body. I did not have shoulder pain this time, but have had it years ago after a gall bladder surgery. Felt like a heart attack!!!! Do check with Doctor and maybe he has a suggestion other than gas-x and walking.

How are you Susan? I was banded Friday too, and I am having the same problems. I am also very upset that I feel like crap! I should have expected it, but I was trying to be optimistic! Let me know what your dr said!

Ginger

Thanks Tranam. If I am not better tomorrow I will call the Dr. Ginger I feel for you if you are feeling like I do...ughhhh. I am passing the gas...as much as I hate sharing that with everyone...it just doesnt seem to help with this pain. Will let you know what the Dr says Ginger. I just thought I would be feeling better today....

Susan

SUSAN AND GINGER!!!!!!!!! LISTEN UP!!!!! I ended up in ER thinking the pain was a blood clot and this is what the ER doctor ended up telling me....He said...go home...get down on your hands and knees....then with a pillow supporting your chest/stomach area....lower your head down so your butt is sticking up in the air! (DOGGY STYLE)....That very night my pain was gone. I had a CT scan to see if I had blood clot and the ER doc said he could see a BIG line of gas bubbles pushing up under my diaphram which hits nerves that makes your shoulder hurt. TRY IT!! and then do it again...and again if you have too... I had slept in a chair for five days...had never laid down...all that gas was trapped up under my rib cage...I hope this will give you some relief as it did for me...the NEXT day after doing this which was a week one day post surgery, I went camping!!! I know not everything works for everybody but you have nothing to lose to try it!! Best of luck to you both Deanna

Thanks for the advice Deanna. I have spent a lot of time today with my butt up in the air hopeing that things will be better for me tonight. My Dr did a chest xray but I havent gotten those results back yet. I am a little more comfortable tonight and hope that it will continue throughout the night so that I can sleep. Thanks again

Susan

Susan,

My shoulder was a little better today, but it still hurts. I have not called the doctor, but I emailed and they did not reply. That really bothered me since they were so quick to reply before they got my money! I am back at home tonight after a school trip, so hopefully I will rest tomorrow. Tomorrow will be my first day back at work. Let me know what your dr says.

Ginger

Well Girls I am glad I came to read the posts. I was banded on

May 4th and I just kept thinking it was me. I am and have been having the same problems. I was crazy enough to think I would be able to go back to work on last Monday. I can't imagine anyone being able to bear that. Good luck and thank you, Randaree

Hi all. Heard back from the Dr and the xray is fine. Am glad of that but this pain still hangs on. Was talking to a friend tonight who said that when she drinks Crystal Light she gets gas...so since I drink that I am going to try to avoid it and see if I can get this cleared up. I was going to go back to work today but am waiting until tomorrow...and will go regardless. The lucky thing is I work from home most of the time when I am not traveling so I can finish the week here.

Ginger how did your first day back go? Randaree when do you go back? Wishing everyone well.

Susan

does the gas smell? i need to know waht to expect because i will be at a friends house for my recovery.

Oh boy! First day back at work, and MAN I was about to die! First of all, no one knows, so no sympathy for walking like a snail! I got to work and immediately had to give tours of the school. I will say that being on my feet all day, did do more good than I thought. The gas is moving around, even though I thought it had to be going away by now. I have to tell you the funniest moment of the day, (although it was not funny at the time) I have a cough, so I took a cough drop. . . well, I swallowed it!!! I thought OMG, I am goign to sit right here and choke in front of everyone! Nothing happened, but I was so worried it would get stuck! I was not as hungry today, so it may just be a "brain" thing! I did get some cough Syrup from the dr today, so maybe the cough will get better. I did find out at the end of the day, I was selected to help with a field trip tomorrow, so that should keep me moving.

I can't say that I notice a bad smell with the gas as in other kinds, but I could be wrong!

Susan- I am glad your x-ray was good!

What are you eating in your post op liquid phase? My nurse tells me to use a blender and be creative? Does that mean a cheeseburger blended up?

Share details please!

You girls are TOO funny!!!! blended up McDonalds....Yummy!!!! I didnt notice the gas smelling until you start eating some food..but on the liquid diet it has no smell..just be careful you dont think its gas and its not....that can get embarassing....Deanna..

p.s. not that I KNOW for experience or anything.....LOL..

glad everything was ok for you Susan, Ginger you are a brave one. I was going to try work today but chickened out again. By the time I get my shower that's all, either back to bed or to the easy chair. Some how (No I am not blameing my Husband) LOL my scale got broken over night where the LED is. So I thought I would take a short outing and just go to pickup another. Then I could see how the driving and walking would do. Dr. Marsden didn't set a return to see him as of yet, and so I don't know when that will be. Is it around 4 weeks??

Randaree, be sure not to drive if you are on pain meds. If something happens (even if it's not your fault), you can be found liable.

I hope your pain improves soon.