Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing Guidance from experienced bandsters!!

In short, my story is the following... I was banded 3/12/07, lost 10 pounds first 3 weeks, gained 6 back during weeks 3-6. First fill was on 4/23/07 of 1.8cc. That became too tight by the 2nd day so I was unfilled down to 0.6cc on 4/25/07. Initially after the unfill I felt like my restriction was great but with each meal I could eat more and more... so now here I am with little restriction and am scheduled for another fill on Tuesday. I am afraid of getting too little of a fill and having to go back again and again. However, I don't ever want to be too tight again because that was horrible. My first fill was done in Mexico under fluoro and look what happened... I wasn't initially too tight but bacame that way. Now I am having this next fill done here in my city but it isn't done under fluoro.

I guess what I really want to know from you experienced bandsters who have found that sweet spot is.... what does that feel like? There are times that I feel full after few bites, especially if bread or Pasta is involved but then it passes within minutes and I feel hungry again. Is that always going to happen? Before when I was too tight eating was so painful but the food was staying in the upper pouch longer... isn't that the way it is supposed to be? But yet I know it's not supposed to be painful. How is it supposed to be? I guess I just imagined that I would be comfortable and full after eating a small amount and that I wouldn't feel hunger 5-10 minutes later once the food has passed into the lower part of my stomach.

Any advice, suggestions, or explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :ohwell:

bread (or gluten products) will almost always swell up and make you feel full quickly. Even cause PB's on occasion. My advise would be leave the bread products for last and go for good, hard Proteins first. chicken, fish, etc - chewed to mush. It stays with your pouch longer, provides the Protein you need and doesn't have near the calories as starches/carbs.

Remember, Protein first, veggies - anything else IF you still haver room.

You'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

Yeah, what Leatha wrote!

When you were overfilled you experienced natural swelling. That is why so many docs suggest liquids for the remainder of the day and soft foods for the following day. When you have a new fill AND natural swelling, life can be miserable.

Take it slowly, now you know why a BIG fill CAN be bad. When it is bad it is very very bad. When it is good it is very very good. That can mean as little as 0.1-0.2cc. Amazing how such a tiny bit of saline can affect us in a huge mega way!

Take it slowly. It will work, just relax and allow your band to do it's job.

Ditto what leatha g said!!!!!

"If nothing changes,,nothing changes" The band is a tool,,not a cure all. If you keep on doing the same things you used to do,,yoiu'll keep on getting the same results you always have. Personally,,I eat very little bread or rice and no Pasta. You can gain weight forever if you fill your pouch with high caloric foods. Empty calories might make you feel full,,but they aren't good for you and provide temporary satisfaction.

My physician is a hard ass when it comes to honesty and following rules. I appreciate that quality in him. He holds me accountable for my actions while encouraging me and guiding me through this change in lifestyle. THAT'S wht this is,,a change in lifestyle.

Stick to the hard Proteins FIRST. Trust the diet that your physican/dietician hopefully gave you and follow it closely. I bought a Backyard Burger today,,its big,,with lettuce, Tomato, cheese, onion and Condiments. I pinch off as much bread as possible and have it still stick together and I slowly ate half of it. I brought the rest home and saved it for lunch tomorrow. It satisfied me for the whole night. I had to learn the difference in NEEDING to eat and WANTING to eat. Keep reading the website and learn, as I have,,from those who have gone before us! Good luck!

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

331/286/150

one fill to date