Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any Banders w/PCOS - has it helped symptoms?

Hi,

Are there any banders out there with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? I am wondering if the weight loss experienced with the band has helped with PCOS symptoms.

Currently in month 2 of doc supervised 6 month diet before insurance will consider me :tired

PCOS here! What help my PCOS is eating Lower Carb/ Lower Sugar..... I'm assuming the band will help in the fact that I am going to be eating less EVERYTHING including carbs!

Seriously though....... I had wacky periods, LOOOOOOONNNNG infertility history ... monitoring my carb/sugar intake straightened all this out and I'm now even a mom..

I too had inferitility problems, i now have a 2 1/2 year old son. All the usual PCOS probs with uncontrolable food cravings.

I am just really hoping the band can help curb the appetite and I will be able to get back to being active and feeling healthy!

I will tell you .. I am one week post op and am amazed that I am NOT starving! IT IS WONDERFUL! ME the girl that can put away a pizza like a linebacker!!!! actually full after 1/2 a pudding cup and 2/3 of a cambels Soup at hand!!!!!!!!!!!(this was ALL I ATE YESTERDAY!) I also have a non existant thyroid............ Maintaining a loss has ALWAYs been my issue and my VOLUME eating......YOU HAVE a LOT to look forward too!

I have yet to be banded, but am also praying the Band will help me w/PCOS. The weight loss will be a huge help. Wacky periods, infertility, hot flashes, and facial hair are noooo fun!

Hiya, I have PCOS too. I'm due to be banded on the 17th. From what I've read, any weight loss helps with the symptoms and the "cycle" (gain weight-symptoms get worse-gain more weight because of PCOS being worse-and so on) of PCOS. My fingers are crossed it will be one more thing that will be helped by losing weight. :)

Its so nice after all the struggling to come to terms with the issues of PCOS that i finally feel like there may be something that can help!

:clap2:

Now I just have to wait for my insurance company to agree!

I have PCOS too. Not yet banded. I too am still in the getting approved stage, but from what I've heard from gals here and from soulcysters is that it will definately help with symptoms. My hope is to get off meds that I take for insulin resistance and high blood pressure, and from the info I've gotten I believe it is more than possible. There is hope for us cysters!!!

I would love to follow some stories of people with similar experiences.

If all goes well I'm hoping i will get approval sometime in Sept and am hoping to schedule the op before my birthday Oct 7th. That seems like such a long time away.....

Hello everyone I also have PCOS and my Dr recomended the lapband surgery to me. She told me it would help with all the symptoms. I have my first consultation with the surgeon on Monday. I'm so excited. PCOS is such a vicous cycle I cant wait for all the symptoms to start going away. Does anyone have trouble taking the meds prescribed to PCOS patients once they have the lapband?

I have PCOS too. Not yet banded. I too am still in the getting approved stage, but from what I've heard from gals here and from soulcysters is that it will definately help with symptoms. My hope is to get off meds that I take for insulin resistance and high blood pressure, and from the info I've gotten I believe it is more than possible. There is hope for us cysters!!!

Hey. I'm a SoulCyster, too! :fish:

I have PCOS too. I didn't find out until last may. I had never even heard of it until that time. I always had problems with my periods- I wouldn't get them. When I was in undergrad, I went to the doc's and Iwas told that I wasn't getting my period due to stress. Yeah, ok..I wasn't stressed out at all. Well maybe when exam time came around but that's it.

Last year I made an appointment with a new GYN. At that point it was almost a year since I had my period. She had me do some bloodwork and viola!! PCOS. She said that was also a reason why I was gaining and it was hard for me to lose weight.

She put me on birth control.

2 weeks before the surgery, I was told to stop taking the pill. I haven't been back on it yet and my period came on its own. I am going to wait one more month to see if it comes on its own again. If not, then back on the pill until I lose more weight.

I have PCOS too and was just banded on April 27th... I'm hoping this will help me too. I was at my all time highest weight but since having my kids (5 1/2 and 3 1/2) my periods were doing okay, not regular but having them on my own. Well the last 6 months have been out of total whack and I've been spotting for about 3 weeks. I really hope loosing weight with the lapband will help my symptoms.

I totally agree that low carb is what my body responds to the best.

Good luck w/insurance approval, I was self pay.

I too have PCOS and am newly banded (Mar 27). I was diagnosed with PCOS and Endometriosis years ago... I have tried everything short of a full hysterectomy. My GYN was thrilled when I told her I was being evaluated for surgery... we're both looking forward to the changes weight loss will bring.

Katie

301 / 284 / 165

I have PCOS. Losing weight has helped with all of my symptoms. I still have a little hair on my chin, but nothing a plucking doesn't take care of.