Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All my life I have been over-weight. Heavy, big boned, fat, pudgy...have all been words that would describe me. I have been told I am very pretty...except for my body. A few years ago I lost a good deal of weight...then I got pregnant. Oh boy! A great excuse to eat! And I ate, and ate, and ate some more convincing myself I could loose the weight after I had the baby with ease. That was not the case. I gained 57 lbs while carrying my daughter, Summer, the light of my life, and have not yet lost the baby weight. She is now 21 months old and I still look like I am getting ready for hibernation...lol! I think it is time I do something about my weight not only for myself but for my family as well. I am getting married to my fiance of a year and a half August of 08 and I want to look great in my gown. He loves me just the way I am, and being that he accepts me for me I decided it was okay that I would always be just "a little bit fat", but not anymore. I want to be able to be as beautiful on the outside as I am on the inside and not be judged by my weight.

SO here is my predicament. I have no idea how to go about doing this! I have medicaid for my insurance carrier and they are cruel....so thats out of the question. On the bright side I would be willing to pay for insurance that does cover this procedure....help?! Anyone?

My weight today: 230 lbs.

My height?: 5 ft 4 in.

My target weight: 125 lbs.

Weight to loose: 105 lbs. ( A whole other person!!!!)

Hi and welcome,

Congratulations on your bundle of joy and your upcoming marriage, both great ideas for getting healthy and losing weight. I hear about lots of insurance companies now covering the band. I had Anthem bc/bs ppo last year when I started looking into the band and I think they cover now with no problems. I didn't even bother because I wanted my surgery like yesterday and didn't want to go through all of that and was self pay in Mexico so I'm not positive about the insurance thing, but I'm sure some others will chime in and help you. You might want to go to the insurance forum part and check there. I'm sure you find many that do cover.

Good luck and you've came to the right place for excellent information and friends and support.

I thought that I was going to have a hard time with my insurance covering the band because the company I work for can be some real cheep asses sometimes. But it was really simple. I just had to have a BMI over 40 ( And I do) My insurance is UHC PPO. I know all plans are not the same but just do your research and I am sure you can find someone that will cover it. I was kind of planing on my insurance not covering my band so I had a couple of attorneys lined up. I know of a few if ya want there websites I could give them to you. If you do have to self pay I have been told Dr Ariel Ortiz in mexico is great. I have not worked with him but I have read his book and everyone says he is really good. I think people say he could do it for around $8,000. Witch is alot cheeper than my Doc wants if I have to self pay $25,000. Anyway best of luck to you and keep after it.

wow Tara, u just described me! lol but my baby is 2 and 1/2 years old and I am 6' and weight over 350lbs and tired of being fat. I checking into this lapband also, but mine is because I've had a hip replacement and I pretty much need it but I don't know if they do it in N.Y. so if u get any info could u please share I would greatly appreciate. I wish you luck with your goals in life.