Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will the sleeve work w/someone post-menopausal?

My sleeve surgery is scheduled for 8/26/14 and I'm having second thoughts due to the fear that this will not work for me since I'm post-menopausal. The surgery doesn't scare me too much, however, the post-surgery timeframe terrifies me because I have in my head I'm not going to lose anything. When I met with my surgeon couple days ago, I told him I was going to be his first medical miracle.....I'm going to follow everything they tell me to do and not lose anything. He just chuckled and said if I follow it, I will lose.

I am 43 years old and have gained so much weight since menopause, diagnosed with high-blood pressure, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, etc. (body is falling apart so I keep telling my husband to take me out behind a barn and shoot me......lol).

My questions are for anyone who has had this surgery after going thru menopause. Did it actually work? Did you lose weight? Did you lose a lot of hair? Did you plateau a lot? If you did lose weight, how slow did the weight come off? Sorry, just a few questions lol. Thank you!!

Hi Janie,

I had the sleeve done just over 2.5 months ago. I had the same fears you did. I am post menopausal and am losing weight. I don't want to jinx myself but I have lost some weight every week so far. I have just started to notice that I am losing hair but it will come back so am not that concerned. I have followed my doctor's program with only slight variations (I never could do strained food) and am very pleased with my numbers. I have no regrets! Good luck to you!!

Hello, Janie,

I had my sleeve done just two weeks ago. I lost about 40 pounds in the six months prior to surgery and have lost about 10 pounds since surgery. I have to believe that I will continue to lose even though I am menopausal as long as I do what I'm supposed to do with diet and exercise. It's a journey, and though these early post-surgical days are challenging (trying to get enough fluids and protein), I know it it's a journey I'm glad I'm on. Good luck to you with your journey!!

you are only 43 that is almost 6 years younger than me. I am post menopausal and have lost 130+ pounds. if you follow the plan you will lose! Protein first! you are young! there are many people older than you or me successful with the sleeve. It is all up to you and in your control.

That's wonderful, congratulations! That helps tremendously knowing someone else, who has the same set of circumstances, has experienced weight loss with this surgery. I may have more questions as I go thru this great journey, so I apologize upfront for potential nagging lol. Thank you for sharing your success.

What in the world does post-menopausal have to do with it?

Seriously -- where did you get the idea that was a problem?

Hi Janie, I had surgery 6 weeks ago and I am going to be 59 next week. My first 4 weeks I lost 19 lbs. I only weigh when I go to my doctor so I won't know how much more I have lost until Sept. 3rd. Like everyone else says, if you follow the plan you will lose weight. The main focus has to be on Protein and Water. After your surgery please make sure to get your Water in as soon as you can drink. I didn't and ended up dehydrated. You don't want that. You might want to start practicing now on taking very small sips. Don't forget to take your measurements the day before surgery so when the scale isn't moving you will see your progress by rechecking your measurements. Good luck.

Honestly, I'm hoping my age will be a plus for when I start losing weight. With the constant pain in my feet, my knees, my back, it makes it difficult to exercise. I keep telling myself, if I don't move now, it is going to be more painful down the road if I have to continue carrying this weight.

U did say u told you're surgeon u will follow and not lose...and his response to u ...the doctor is the expert just listen to him and stop playing the mind games with you're self...where did u get that idea from?...U should search this site and see the many articles and ppl way older than u and the amount of weight they lost ...u really need to be positive about the surgery....meno or not!!1

Edited by Pepper123

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I keep reading about Protein, Protein, protein (and of course Water too). So I started looking for Protein shakes and powders I like (which I have found several). Thank you again!!

Don't buy too many Protein shakes and powders before surgery because several people's tastes change after surgery. I use to love Protein drinks before surgery and after surgery none of the Protein Drinks or powders agreed with me.

My GP informed me my metabolism level dropped significantly after I went thru menopause which was causing the weight gain at such a fast rate. Don't get me wrong, I also wasn't moving like I had been (workouts went from 3-4/week to just walks around my neighborhood). This was due to the unexpected fatigue that hit me hard at that time.

So I started Weight Watchers, followed everything by the book for seven weeks. Not only did I not lose anything (weight or inches), I actually gained a little. My GP said it was because I was post-menopausal. This is why she recommended me for this surgery.

I recognize my fears are creating these negative thoughts, therefore, I think I'm going to create a scrapbook of this amazing journey. I'm hoping it will keep me busy and motivated while I conquer this thing called obesity.

Edited by Huggies123