Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation

Hi Paula, I haven't been banded yet so I can't offer too much, but here's some of the results I found when I did an dadvanced search for thread titles with the word "constipation" in them. You might also want to try searching for constipated.

Hope these help!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32973

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30631

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30412

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26334

I had dreadful Constipation for weeks. I'd literally go for 8 days with a bm. However since taking laxatives to initially clear myself out I've found just eating an apple a day is enough to keep me going 2-3 a week. I also make sure I drink plenty during the day. Hope this helps!

I add Benefiber to my morning latte. 2 tsps, it disolves quickly, doesn't thicken up and has no taste at all. It seem to keep things, well, moving along...

Don't use Metamucil. It gets thick like Jello and can be very painful.

I totally agree. I tried the Metamucil pre-op and just couldn't get it down. I use Fiber Sure and it disolves completely and is tasteless. Also works!! So does a dose or two of prune juice.

For me, ever since I was LITTLE (being potty trained, I believe) my mom always gave me a little glass of prune juice every day or every other day depending on the needs of the day.... I still like it and still use it when I'm having problems "going". BUT, most lately, I've decided that it's just too much sugar, and being diabetic, it's not the best choice for me. Therefore, I've just been finding ways to add in more fiber to my diet, using benefiber, and sometimes a chewable fiber, I haven't had too many problems "going" since being banded. Thank goodness!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think Im going to try Benefiber. Ive done the milk of magnesia and cant seem to find a happy medium with it (its all or nothing if you know what i mean!...LOL)

Can I offer Gerber's fruit juices in apple juice (apple juice to keep you loose).

It helped me when I was taking the pain medicine. I can also offer that if you eat a large meal that may get the juices flowing.

Children's cereal: Kaboom (they gave it that name for a reason)

Good luck Paula

Do you take Iron pills?

I do and that is the main cause of Constipation for me. Certain Iron pills you can take without being constipated.. However, that is my main problem.. Though it's not so bad anymore.

You know thats interesting you should ask. Ive discovered that iron suppliments can cause your stools to be dark green too. I wonder if its causing constipation as well. Ive been taking Flinstones complete Vitamins for a few weeks now.?? Hmmm maybe thats part of the problem..

You guys all rock!:rockon:

I have battled the Constipation war since about a month after being banded. I've tried the benefiber, ground flax seed, upped my Water intake, and much more. I do the milk oh mag, but it's all or nothing as stated above, don't leave site of a toilet. Ducolax tabs work too and they are small enough to pass through, even a tight band. I drink a glass (atleast 12-160z of 100% apple juice or that new plum smart juice daily). That seems to help! Best of luck to you.

I went to the ER last night with horrible stomach pain. I was sure my band had slipped. The pain was so bad I actually passed out. They gave me pain meds, something for nausea and IV fluids. They did a CT scan (had to drink 20 oz of barium). They couldn't find anything wrong. The band was just fine. Praise the Lord!

I talked to my MIL today who is a nurse and said I am probably backed up. She suggested Laci LeBeau dieters tea it comes in lots of flavors. She said they have it at most Wal-marts and some grocery stores. I sent my hubby out to find some.

I was using that Miralax. It is now available without a prescription. I took it for 7 days about 2 weeks after surgery and it finally worked, but my friend who had cancer said it was a life saver for her. You just mix it with 4 to 8 ozs of Water. It tastes kinda soapy, but doesn't get thick like some of the others.

I'm hoping one of these things will help you too!

Trina

I swear by benefiber. I don't like the idea of having to put in practically everything though. There has got to be a better way to get some natural fiber into our diets. It's just not healthy to not have fiber in our diets. I eat Kashi Crunch Cereal a few times a week. I hate the carbs, but it's very high in fiber.