Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal trainer

I day I start with a personal trainer. I'm a little over 3 months post-op - was sleeved on April 21, 2014. I've only been doing cardio, for the most part - walking, treadmill, elliptical and now doing the couch-to-5K app outside since the weather is gorgeous.

The problem is that I know nothing about strength and weight training and I'm not the kind of person who can watch a YouTube video to work on it - I need a teacher, I need actual guidance - someone to tailor something for my needs, watch my form and most importantly - keep me accountable!! I'd prefer not to have any more surgery and I think the best way to avoid cosmetics/plastics is to really kick the weight training in/up.

I found a number of people online and she seemed the most reasonable and she actually got me in touch with another bariatric client of hers, which made me feel great!!

I'm nervous! Maybe that's weird but I'm nervous. The idea of failure is always sitting in the back of my mind - can I do this? Will I bail? I don't meet with her until 7 and I've been awake since 4!!

Has anyone else gone the personal training route? Pros? Cons?

I joined a fitness club that does semi-personal training. It's basically classes with fewer than six people, plus supervised open hours where I'm more on my own. I'm sooo thrilled. It's been expensive, but I have all this extra money from the food I'm not buying anymore. I wish I could afford to include totally personal training sessions in the mix, but as a poor student it's a bit much for me. Even so though, I've been thrilled with the results.

Anyway, a good personal trainer is the best asset you could have! I totally suggest you go for and get lifting!

I worked with a personal trainer when I lost 135 pounds previously. I stretched sessions out over a year and it helped significantly. He taught me do many simple things to do that helped build up muscle and tone overall. He also worked with me to deal with long term knee issues. I so miss strength training. Hopefully in the future.

I love my personal trainer. We meet every other week. She writes the workout programs for me and is always e-mailing me with nutritional tips, articles, etc. She has even gone running and biking with me outside of our scheduled times. I canceled my cable tv provider and that pays for my trainer.

I should also add that my trainer and I are always trying to make each other laugh in between sets. We have a great professional relationship. I also clean my gym once a week for an hour at a time, in return I get a free membership and free tanning.

Edited by Trever

I'm not trying to be a shill for Planet Fitness, but for anyone on a very limited budget their membership only runs around 10 dollars a month, and they have free trainers on staff. They do training in small groups... but most of the trainers seem to be quite willing to help out with questions between classes. I imagine having a personal trainer can't be beat, but there are alternatives if you are just starting out and need some guidance.

I would say though, at least in the beginning, that if you can scrape together the funds, seeing someone one on one (especially someone used to working with people with obesity) is really helpful. One of the things that held me back in previous weight loss attempts was relying on the staff in bog box gyms. They're fine with normal people with normal fitness goals, but often don't know how to work with people prone to weight related injuries. I've hurt myself so many times because these kinds of trainers made me feel like a lazy hypochondriac. Not that everyone who is just a regular old gym trainer is a total meat head, but, let's be honest, many of them are, and when you're not paying for personal training, you don't always get to pick whom you're working with. If you can afford someone who is more familiar with sports medicine or physiotherapy, I'd say do it, even if it's just a few sessions to get you back in touch with your body and help you learn your own limits.

Edited by WhoKnows

I hired a personal trainer and did 8 weeks before surgery and I'm starting back up with her tomorrow. I started back working out with weights 2 weeks ago but she's been on vacation.

I think it's a fantastic investment in your health. She's taught me a huge variety of exercises that I wouldn't have known before and I've lifted on my own before. She always shows me new routines mostly with free weights or some machines. She is very gentle and watches my face and form to know if something is too hard for me and modifies it or replaces it with something more in line with my fitness level.

It's been a wonderful experience and I'm so excited to see her tomorrow to get started up again. She's gonna be blown away by my weight loss too since she hasn't seen me post surgery.

I day I start with a personal trainer. I'm a little over 3 months post-op - was sleeved on April 21, 2014. I've only been doing cardio, for the most part - walking, treadmill, elliptical and now doing the couch-to-5K app outside since the weather is gorgeous.

The problem is that I know nothing about strength and weight training and I'm not the kind of person who can watch a YouTube video to work on it - I need a teacher, I need actual guidance - someone to tailor something for my needs, watch my form and most importantly - keep me accountable!! I'd prefer not to have any more surgery and I think the best way to avoid cosmetics/plastics is to really kick the weight training in/up.

I found a number of people online and she seemed the most reasonable and she actually got me in touch with another bariatric client of hers, which made me feel great!!

I'm nervous! Maybe that's weird but I'm nervous. The idea of failure is always sitting in the back of my mind - can I do this? Will I bail? I don't meet with her until 7 and I've been awake since 4!!

Has anyone else gone the personal training route? Pros? Cons?

"hmk"....sounds like a great plan to decide to do this, educate yourself and learn good form before diving in. Get motivated, form a plan with goals in mind and stick to your plan, ease into it and you'll be glad you took this step. I wish you the best!

Also, "failure" in the gym is a good thing. When you get to the point where you pushing it more, muscle failure and time under tension is what will make your muscles respond, strengthen and grow. So don't be afraid of failure, get a little out of your comfort zone and do it.....you got this! :)

Edited by aroundhky

I was nervous and embarrassed at first too. Everyone starts somewhere. And now I love having a trainer and look forward to my sessions. Not a single con.

It holds me accountable, keeps me motivated, and I get results. I was sleeved mid-December 2013, and I've worked with my trainer once a week since February. Compared to what I could lift in February, I've at least doubled all the weights. On some level you want to impress them, and I'm my strongest and can do the most reps when I work with him.

I've learned so many different exercises. A friend asked what I did at the gym, and my honest response was "What don't I do?" Last week we did this planking thing with my feet on upside down frisbees. I had to slide my legs apart and then together and do as many of these scissors as I could. I maxed out three times and loved it.

When I first started PT, I couldn't hold a plank for a second. So painful!! If I'd been on my own, I would have just accepted that. Or I would have focused more on crunches, tried planking again, failed again, and then would have given up for good. He found the problem though. It wasn't that my core was weak per se, but my back was very weak, and that has dramatically improved. Thank goodness for his expertise!

I contractually committed to 6 months of training, but I just extended it another 6 months.

I have a personal trainer that I see every week. He is the best investment (next to my sleeve) that I have made in myself). My training sessions are dynamic in that they are strength, cardio, and flexibility all rolled into one. He pushes me harder than I would push myself and I'm always amazed at what I can do. He is very knowledgeable and a great cheerleader!

I too was really scared in the beginning...but go for it! you won't regret it!

I belonged to an all woman gym after my lapband surgery in 2009 (I'm now a a sleeve revision). I paid $60 a week for a personal trainer. Loved her. She kicked my butt every week. We spent 90 mins (30 on nutrition choices and 60 on weight training/cardio intervals). I told her I didn't like the elliptical cuz it was hard and made my legs feel like noodles. Guess what she chose for my 3 mins cardio intervals? Yep, the damn elliptical. By the time I left, I felt like Jello. Had a hard time walking to the car.

After about 2 mths, I cut back to every 2 weeks (just cound't afford the $240 every month). I would weigh, we'd discuss my food intake and then she'd work me out. Everytime I got on the scale, I saw a loss. Even after not making the wisest choices at times.

After a couple more months, I cut her back to once a month. Still saw losses every month. Then I met my now-husband. He had a membership at the Y, so I started going with him. He couldn't go to the all female gym with me and we didn't want to work out alone. So I gave up my trainer.

Something she told me early on that I still remember: "You don't have to give up ur favorite foods. Just take a few bites and throw the rest away. U still have the taste but also have the control over what ur eating". She got me off my almost daily Tamale Pie (Found at Vons and Safeway on the West Coast). I cut back to once a week. Not giving it up but cutting back on it. I rarely eat them now.

After losing 100 lbs in 9 months I wants to get under the 200 pound mark. I signed up with a personal trainer for 2x week for 6 months. I just did not know what to do on my own. Pick have lost 26 more pounds and went from 36 to 24 percent body fat. It cost a ton of money but it got me where I am now. I just finished my 6 months and he set me up a plan to do on my own and I can review with him again for free in 6-8 weeks. I hope I don't screw this up on my own. It is really expensive but I wonder if I will have to go back again and consider it a necessity to stay healthly. I will give it a few months and then check. I really recommend it for a newbie though. It is an investment in your future health.

I'm fortunate enough to have a nephew who is a certified personal trainer and a professional bodybuilder

I have been working out with a trainer for 1 year now. I started for the same reasons as you- I was clueless and intimidated by weights. Weight training with a trainer has helped me bud muscle and progress from 5 and 8 lbs dumbbells to now using 15-20 lbs dumbbells. It is an expense and I put $ aside each month so that I can prepay for a large block of sessions. Doing that allows my trainer to give me a break on the overall cost and keeps me committed dice it is all prepaid. Just make sure that before you commit you are working with someone you are comfortable with. Here's a little "muscle" shot for inspiration and remember "sore today, strong tomorrow".

post-161802-0-92622500-1406837784_thumb.jpg

I am working out with a personal trainer every two weeks (and doing the excercises on my own in between). You have to find one that is willing to work with your goals and limitations and then it is great! Mine knows I have a herniated disc and modifies for that. He is helping me to strengthen the muscles around my knees so they don't hurt so much. My % body fat is dropping, % muscle is increasing, and I look and feel better. My trainer helps keep me motivated.

Only downside is the cost - but on e every two weeks helps.