Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I am a 43 year old woman I weight 196lbs and I am 5 feet tall. My BMI was 36 and I am aware I am starting at a lower BMI then a lot of people on this site . I have high blood pressure for the past 8 years , high cholesterol and I am pre -diabetic which has my doctor concerned . I come from a family of heart disease also so I decided it's time to take control of my health. My mother died of a massive heart attack at 53 years old and had all of the conditions I now have . I have dieted since I was 16 years old . I have always gained the weight back so I have decided it's time to do something different so I have decided to have the sleeve done . I am very nervous about it , but I know in my heart it's the right choice for me . I am having my surgery in Staten Island NY. I have met with the surgeon , I had my first Nutritionist appointment to start my 6 month diet history , I already had my psych evaluation, cardiac evaluation and I am having my sleep study tonight which I am very nervous about .I am hoping to have the surgery by January if my insurance approves me . I just wanted to say to all of you and its nice to know I am not alone in this . :]

Welcome!

Don't worry about the sleep study. They hook you up to a bunch of electrodes and monitor you from another room. You just sleep. You will be fine. I had my surgery in Brooklyn last Friday. I'm 7 days post op. Gas and general soreness in the belly area, but doing ok.

Thank you Shahada !

Edited by hootney1214

Thank you Fine Diva I am glad to hear you are feeling ok . Can I ask you how you felt when you first woke up from the surgery .

Welcome! I am so glad you are having the surgery BEFORE you get diabetes! That crossover from pre-diabetes to diabetes is when you lose about half of the pancreas cells that produce insulin.

wanted to say hi :)

welcome to our "humble" little group :)

we're all great people (especialy me :lol: )

ask alllll your question during, about pre-op

read the boards - go back to older posts

put a word in at the search area (ie coffee) and you might get the answer to a question

share your experiences post op - ask questions with whats going on for that specific period

these 6 months will fly by

and you will have jumped through all those necessary hoops

and you will be approved :)

again,,,,,, welcome :)

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thank you Fine Diva I am glad to hear you are feeling ok . Can I ask you how you felt when you first woke up from the surgery .

Girl, I don't want to sound scary, but when I woke up....5 1/2 hours... in the operating room I tried to freak out and they had to calm me down. I kept saying "It's 7oclock"? I was on the table at 136pm.....looking right at the clock and when I opened my eyes it was 705pm. I was in pain and feeling slightly confused. Now let me explain. My surgeon told me surgery can last from 1 to 2 hours. So imagine my confusion. I stayed confused about the length of time time until I finally saw her on Saturday around 4 pm. Yes, she did have doctors check on me Friday night and again on Saturday am. But I wanted to see her!! I asked her if I was in surgery until 7 pm. She calmly stated yes. She then went on to explain that I had so much scar tissue fro my previous three csection and open hernia repair, she had to remove it all before she could even begin the surgery!! I told her how worried I was that I had been in surgery that long. She seemed to take it all in stride and obviously she had experienced cases like mine before. So yes I did wake up slightly out of it, but is to be expected. You lose that time you are asleep. I did not get to my room until 1030pm. I was able to do a very short walk and call my 16 yr old son. Lord know what he was thing because I had promised to call him by around 5pm. Once I was in recovery my poor baby was the only thing on my mind. Once I was able to speak to him all was right with the world!!!

Some background.....I told no one about my surgery and was completely alone at the hospital. The was I planned and wanted it. No great reason. Just my choice. The only thing I would of done differently was have my surgeon call my child after surgery and tell him I was fine. I hate that I may have caused him stress. But when I asked him if he had been worried, be calmly stated "no mom, I knew you would call". We texted half the day Saturday and he came with the person who picked me up.

Welcome! Don't sweat the sleep study, it's no biggie. They put little sticky pads in multiple spots (scalp, chest, legs) then hook everything up to a machine...and then expect you to fall asleep! You lie there thinking "there's no waaay I'm gonna sleep" but you do. Then after a few hours they wake you to attach a mask to see what settings allow you to sleep better.

I had no complaints about my experience, except that they woke me up an hour after they said they would. I had to take my kids to school and ran out of there with the sticky pad glue still on me :blush:

what a scary feeling to wake up like that Fine Diva I am glad it's all past you now and you are recovering . ;]

what a scary feeling to wake up like that Fine Diva I am glad it's all past you now and you are recovering . ;]

I had my sleep study last night and it was just awful . I got maybe 1 1/2 hrs of sleep they never came in to put the mask on my during the sleep so I am not sure if I have apnea or not . Of course the technician can't tell you anything so I am going to have to wait until I have my follow up with the doctor .I hope I don't have to repeat it again because I got so little sleep . :(

yes, it's all pass me now. I'm 8 days post op and it gets better every day. Just deal with a monster gas pain that refuse to go away, but I know that also will pass. Thanks.

I had my sleep study last night and it was just awful . I got maybe 1 1/2 hrs of sleep they never came in to put the mask on my during the sleep so I am not sure if I have apnea or not . Of course the technician can't tell you anything so I am going to have to wait until I have my follow up with the doctor .I hope I don't have to repeat it again because I got so little sleep . :([/

quote]

ok, so when I did my sleep study....no mask was used.....I thought I did sleep (because I FELT like I was awake most of the night) I did sleep. Don't worry about it right now. As t the follow up the doctor explained to me the the study doesn't really expect you to sleep like when you are at home. It's not ideal conditions. I was upset because I arrived at 9pm and the lad tech did not come to the room to get me ready until 1145pm. I evev fell asleep in the chair waiting