Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Removal surgery canceled by dr.

Today, during pre-op surgeons office called me to reconfirm surgery. THey have me down for a sleeve (primary surgery) and (secondary) band removal. I reminded them, for the 20th time that my esophagus has severe problems...they did not see that on the chart. I asked her to tell dr to look at the upper gi again cause it is pretty darn obvious!

Here is what I was wanting: PRIMARY Surgery= remove band, SECONDARY, fix esophagus, THIRD, and only IF the cost wouldn't be too much more - SLEEVE surgery. I put it to them this way because I figured I would get some sort of discount on the sleeve since, afterall, they are inside me anyway.

So...the doctor said cancel the whole thing!!! I am so mad! We are to meet on Monday and I wanted your advise. Sort of made me feel like, after I told them, for the 20th time that my primary concern is to remove band and fix esophagus - and they realized they wasn't going to get $30,000 for sleeve surgery than to heck with me and just cancel it. Not taking into consideration that I can't eat, sleep sitting up, throwing up, the whole nine yards...

Am what I am asking unreasonable? Is it heard of? Or am I being simple? If he writes up the primary surgery to be sleeve than the removal will not be covered at 80% - because IT is not the PRIMARY reason I am in the operating room.

Any advise, comment would appreciated.:phanvan

Ya know, I had a good feeling to just walk in the darn emergency room complaining of pain and make that darn dr come and take this band out!

Bless your heart...sounds like you have really been thru it...I would just go in on Monday and tell him exactly what you have posted here... surely he can see where you are coming from...and will make things right...I pray all will go well for you...this has to be so frustrating...Let us know how you are doing...

Di

I'm so sorry for all the crap they are putting you through. I agree with bigaslife, I would do the exact same thing. We will all keep you in our prayers and thoughts that you can get all of this done and have your insurance pay. Good luck and keep you chin up. I'm sure it will happen for you.

Who is your doctor??? Is he experienced with the sleeve?? Most Band to Sleevers I know are told that there is no guarantee that they'll wake up with a sleeve. The doctor first has to see the condition of the stomach (and esophagus) after the Band removal. I would be wary of any doctor who looks at the sleeve as the primary operation especially as you have had issues with your esophagus.

You may want to post on one of the VSG boards (ObesityHelp or Yahoo!(Sleeve Gastrectomy)) and talk to some other Band to VSG folks for advice.

I read posts about these butthead docs and I realize even more how much I adore my surgeon.

Sorry you have to go through this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure your doc is very experienced. Revision surgeries are always more complicated. Not all docs can do them, of those that can not all docs do them well. Ask a specific number of surgeries he has done of THIS type. Not just sleeve, but band to sleeve with esophageal problems.

At this point I am NOT getting sleeve. I have too many bad vibes with it. I will wait until I get better insurance that will help pay for it.

When I go to see him Monday I will tell him to either remove it or repair it - and after reading your advise I will MAKE SURE to ask him about his "repair" history - and then the follow-up of those particular patients.

I really appreciate all your advise/comments. I had forgotten to ask those specific questions.

I got banded in 2001 and lost 125 lbs the first year or two (I can't remember now)....and it went down hill from there -my fault I am sure. I am sort of scared that if he repairs it and it all was my fault - will I mess it up again? Anyway, I will continue to pray/mediate on it and I will go with my gut feeling.

Anyway, I will continue to pray/mediate on it and I will go with my gut feeling.

There is NO way I can stress enough to go with your gut feelings. There is a difference between fear of a procedure and a gut level feeling. Most patients that have had complications said they had a gut feeling before the procedure something was going to happen, and it did.

People who were confident and sure - do well. Gut feelings count!

Now there are some folks that are sure anything that can happen, will. I'm not talking about that kind of person. I'm also not talking about the kind of person that is looking for problems. I'm not referring to those who have normal fears and anxiety about surgery. I'm talking about a gut level feeling that one should or should not do something.

Follow your gut and everything will be well. I don't know what it is, I don't understand how it works. I just know it is pretty darn accurate.

I am new here and waiting on insurance approval to get a lap band so please forgive my ignorance up front! First of all I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. As others have said go with your gut instinct and get 2nd and 3rd opinions. Just like when you were looking into the lap band research all of your options. Talk to others who have had the same issues you are having. Last of all do what is best for your health not your surgeons pocket book!

Why do you blame yourself?

I blame myself because I knew the rules. Don't overeat. Don't drink while eating. Any throwing up - go to dr. I ignored these time and time again until my pouch got distended and well...the rest is history. I think it just kept getting worse as time went by even though I would get unfilled/wait 6 weeks/get refilled. Probably slipped a long time ago and I just never knew it and just figured I was doing something wrong. The end result is the same. I have to get it removed...and I am fine with that.

Wasabubblebutt:

Yes, I am getting ready to go right now. Wish me luck!! I am going to tell dr. NO sleeve! And ask him to repair band if possible. I will post update when I return home this early evening. Thanks W...

(P.S. I love your nickname!!!)

Went to see doctor yesterday. He said he wants to just remove the band and nothing else. No sleeve, no repair, no replacement. Anyway, he said that he also feels the esophagus problem may be better when we remove the band. I told him that in the past whenever I unfilled the band (in Miami) than all reflux disappeared - so he summised, that perhaps I was not a good candidate for the band in the first place. Anyway, all being said, he will try to remove it laprsopically but may have to make a 6-8 inch incession to get at it. He said he felt it has possibly eroded and scar tissue may make it harder to remove since he viewed the upper gi in December. Whatever, just get the darn thing out! now, waiting for cardio to clear me for surgery. I see cardio on Thursday to take another ekg.

Thanks for all your encouragement and prayers....will keep you posted.

I'm so sorry you will lose your band.

Now, I could well be wrong but I thought the only way to really diagnose erosion was with endoscopy. Does anyone know for sure one way or another?

Good luck evcase. I'm sorry you're losing your Band, but if it resolves your esophagus issues... then perhaps it's a good thing. :target: