Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saskatchewan?

I was just wondering if there was anyone from Saskatchewan on this message board? And I am not sure if i am doing my ticker right!!

Amber

Phone Consult 26/4/07

weight.png

Hi Amber,

Yes I'm from Saskatchewan, where abouts are you from? Have you been banded or doing research right now? I'm just about at the final stages of making a decision and am considering Mexico for it's obvious price difference from Canada.

Hey Argon,

I've been lurking for a while so I've seen some of your posts lol. I didn't realize you were from Sask though. Where abouts are you? I'm down south in speedy creek :) I was considering Ontario but it is double the price down there for the same thing. Did you ever look at other countries? Where do you get your fills done?

I am from SK, but I moved to NB last year. :) Had I stayed in SK, I would have just gone to Calgary for fills. Dr. Cobourn's working on getting fill Dr.'s in every province though.

I looked into Mexico, until I realized I needed family help to fund it, and they didn't want to support/encourage me to go out of country. No dissin' any of you guys that went out of country, but I feel confident and secure having mine done in Canada, and even though I am not close to my surgeon, I'm only ever a few hour flight away, if I ever need to go back.

If you choose to go to Mexico, you make SURE you have someone here to do your fills, cause saving all the money in the world ain't gonna help you when you can't find anyone to do your fills.

You can PM me if you like!

I was thinking Mexico because there is an RN in Saskatoon that will do the fills for $50 each time which is a good price as far as I'm able to tell. She is 3 hours north of here. I could travel to Calgary I guess but that is 5 1/2 hrs. and I didn't know if they would hassle me for going to Mexico to begin with.

I am so nervous about spending this kind of money but I know that I have to if I want to be here long enough to raise my kids and that is just so scary. Right now I'm just so low that I can't imagine that anything could help me. I've just given up and even though I don't want to feel this way I've failed so many times it's hard not to.

Right now I'm having to wait to see if my husband is going to have to pay for a procedure that is causing him a crap load of pain. So bad that he cannot wait the 12 month waiting period for surgery in Saskatchewan.

Just lost!

Terranne: Hi: Anyone with a weight problem has failed so many times they were in tears and depressed. This is what caused most of us to make the giant step to acqiring a band. I was 303 lbs when I made my decision, I had the band Feb. 01/07 and yesterday I was told the port had flipped and I needed further corrective surgery.

The TLBC has a wonderfull followup program and the fills are free as well as they have a nutritionist and support programs. A conference call is now being put in place for out of towners.

I am from North Vancouver BC and I did not do a thorough job of researching the issue of fills. The TLBC referred me to a surgeon close to my home. I don't know for sure, but I believe the surgery correcting the port flip is free of charge. I may have to pay for the anetheseologist (sp?). What I am saying, is I would do it again with no second thoughts, but I would be more careful in finding someone close to home so I wouldn't have the huge costs of flying to Toronto.

You are in a tough position having to decide whether your family's spendable money goes on you or your husband but did you know that if your family doctor referred you to Alberta, they have a clinic that assesses people for banding. As the medical system is Federal, they take from anywhere. I belong to a support group and one of the ladies in my group is going to Alberta having been referred by her family doctor and the surgery will be paid for by the medical system. there are other requirements that I am not sure about. You may have to wait, but it would be better than doing nothing. Doddie

Hi I am also from SK and have been banded in Toronto.

I am going to St Albert AB for a file on june 11

Sieni

Hey Everyone!

Well I did it, well going to do it lol. I booked my surgery in Mexico for June 12th, booked my flight and got the time off work!!!!! I'm gone, I'm so excited.

Started my pre op diet yesterday and so far so good! Completely liquid diet which I wasn't aware of at first but it's okay.

Nice to see there are some from Sask. here :confused:

What surgeon are you going with, Terranne? Who are you going to be seeing for fills?

Good luck, it's coming up soon!

Doddie, You've caught my interest ! Do you mean that someone from lets say Kitimat, B.C (such as myself) could get referred to a Doctor in Alberta and that the Alberta Health Care would pay for the lapband surgery ? What are the other details ? Could you ask your friend in your support group for more info please. Currently I have an apt. with Dr. Amson in Victoria scheduled for June 7 (I'm hoping he'll do my fills) and a phone consult with Dr. Mumford tomorrow May 31. I'm exploring all my options so your additional info would be greatly appreciated as I am very close to finalizing my decision and taking the next step.

Thank you !

Corinna from Kitimat

Doddie, are you saying this woman is going to Alberta, and is from ON, and is getting banded there?

I HIGHLY doubt that an individual living "out of province" (ie. AB in this case) qualifies for AB provincial health insurance....no, and out of province resident cannot get anything like the band paid for....holy smokes!!! Pers within their OWN province can't get it.

There is a miscommunication somewhere...so don't get your hopes up.

(but... maybe she's getting the bypass, and that would be covered if she were from ON and going to another province)

Who is this nurse and where is she located and how long has she been doing this for? Saskatoon would be ideal for me over Winnipeg! I had the understanding the closest place for to got for a fill wold be Winnipeg Or Calgary!