Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CPAP USERS - how did u titrate down on air pressure

As I gained weight, every time the sleep lab would want me to go through another overnight sleep test. It's such a pain. I haven't been to the sleep lab in 2 years. I realize I could call my doctor and get scheduled to sleep lab but as I drop more and more weight, I don't want to have to go back in for sleep studies or overnight titration. I've only lost 35lbs (which I'm happy with in 3 weeks) so my current air pressure should still be okay. But I lose another 30 and I may not need all the pressure.

Anyone else using a Cpap or Bipap machine who may been 6 months post op or more that could share how they handled it, I would appreciate the feedback.

I use a CPAP but I'm only 9 weeks (tomorrow) out. I have lost 37 lbs but that was mostly at the beginning of my journey. I saw my pulmonologist on 6/10/14 & he was pleased with my progress. I see him again in October & at that time he is going to have me bring home a self testing kit instead of sending me to a sleep study lab. At that time he will determine if I can get rid of the CPAP altogether. I hope so. The biggest reason I was put on the CPAP was because of my oxygen levels not how many times I stopped breathing, which was only 6 times. Anything up thru 5 times they don't put you on a CPAP. Now if I can just get rid of the oxygen 24/7 I will be a very happy person. Good luck with your CPAP. Ask your pulmonologist about the home testing kit.

I was on the CPAP for a couple of years before surgery. At 9 months post-op, I was down about 100 lbs and the CPAP was pumping a lot of air into my stomach. So much so that I was waking up with gas coming out both ends! :-)

I wasn't able to change the air pressure on my machine, so I started putting tape across the air outlet, trying to limit the pressure, but it didn't work too well.

I started experimenting, sleeping without the CPAP. After about a month, I realized I was getting the same quality of rest without the CPAP as with it. And I stopped using it completely sometime in month 10 post-op. Never went in for a sleep study or asked my doctor about it.

I use the CPAP. I noticed about a month after surgery It was too much air for me, so I stopped using it. I had a doctor appointment scheduled with the sleep doctor. I told her and she did another sleep study. They had to lower the pressure on my machine. I will probably have to do this again eventually as I lose more weight, but I don't care. I would rather be losing and eventually lose the machine too! I know the whole process with that is a pain, but you should probably have another sleep study. Definitely check with your doctor. Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches