Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have taken 3 pregnancy test and they were all positive so I am going to make an appointment tomorrow with my PCP. I'm extremely nervous because I've only had my lapband for a little over a year and I am down 77 lbs. My question is if I am pregnant can I have a normal pregnancy with the lapband?

I can't speak from experience but all the research I've done (because I hope to get pregnant again by the end of this year and i'm 2 days post op) says that you can have a normal pregnancy with the lap band. I understand that they recommend that you don't get pregnant RIGHT away after you've banded and try to lose all the weight that you need to lose before you get pregnant. And once you do you have to watch your nutrients very carefully.

There is someone on this forum that was documenting what they went through being pregnant and banded here: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/137406-my-experience-being-pregnant-with-the-lap-band/

I hope this is helpful! CONGRATULATIONS on this amazing news and Good luck to you!

Congrats on your surgery! And thank you I'm not sure if I'm scared to death or excited or a little of both but I'm not sure if I believe the home test or not hopefully I'll get an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and thank you for that link it does help to see where someone has been in my place :)

You can. I was banded in 2008 and had a baby in 2011. My dr emptied my band to 3cc's and it stayed that way during the whole pregnancy. Once you have you apt and it's confirmed contact your WLS Dr so they can adjust your band. With my medical group they consider me high risk and that meant I got extra ultrasounds, which who would complain at a chance to see their baby. Best of luck to you and congrats

Absolutely!! I have been banded since 07 and have had two wonderful children during that time period. Congratulations on your pregnancy : )

I started bleeding Thursday and went to the ER and was told it is a threatened miscarriage so I'm having to wait until tomorrow to get my results on my second hcg results. I hope and pray that they go up. If you pray please say a prayer for me tonight :)

I started bleeding Thursday and went to the ER and was told it is a threatened miscarriage so I'm having to wait until tomorrow to get my results on my second hcg results. I hope and pray that they go up. If you pray please say a prayer for me tonight :)

sorry to ) sorry to hear you are going thru this, how are things going?

Stacie I was actually having a miscarriage :( broke my heart because I was so excited. I believe it could have been my BP medicine I was on that could of contributed to the MC. The BP medicine I was one could cause birth defects and I didn't know that! I am on something safe now but it blew my mind that the medicine I was on could hurt the baby. Now I'm on something that's completely safe but the thought still makes me sad and sick at times but I know someday I will be able to be a mom hopefully

I am sorry to hear. I have been in your shoes 7 years ago. It does get easier biut you never forget.

Glad to hear you are in something else

Yes everything I am on now is pregnancy friendly lol I made sure. No I will never forget this and it will worry me the next time I get pregnant. Stacie how long did it take you to get pregnant again and go throughout the whole pregnancy?

Thank you Irishchick. I thought I was okay but I'm still torn up inside about it. I'm glad to see you got pregnant so quickly after because I was scared it was going to do something to where I couldn't get pregnant again. Good luck with yours!!!

I struggle every day. It's been almost a year. And yes I'm pregnant again. But I still mourn the loss of the wee one. I cried on my due date. And I'm sure I will cry when I come to the anniversary of the day the bleeding starting and the day I had to have the surgery. It's ok to mourn. Some people will say there is no reason to mourn a child that you never held in your arms. But I disagree. You held that baby with your heart. Your soul and your body. I don't know if you are religious. But that baby was born into heaven. And it may have been an early loss but it was a loss just the same. And you are a mommy to an angel. When people ask me how many children I have. I tell them. I have 3. One on the way and 2 in heaven. I miscarried my 5 year olds twin and the wee one last year. People look at me strange but someone who hasn't experienced a loss doesn't understand the logic. Baby dust honey. It will happen.

Yes you can! I was banded August 12 2013 and was pregnant 3 weeks later! Crazxxy right! I had normal delivery and my baby is healthy 4 month old! Good luck to you!

So sorry for your loss, it is a heartbreaking experience at any phase of pregnancy, its still a part of you that you bonded with. I thought i couldnt get pregnant because I had a traumatic delivery with my second daughter and never needed BC since.. Until I got the band, we had the most amazing surprise when we discovered we were expecting twins. Needless to say we were devastated when I miscarried one at 14 weeks, We cried and held each other rushing to the hospital.. Then we cried a whole lot more when we heard a single heartbeat and realized one had survived.

I had a healthy baby daughter and over a year later there are still days we look at her and mourn for her lost twin but we take comfort in knowing it was a blessing to have that angel even for a short time and we bonded over that love.

If anything I think you can take hope from your own experience and know that through the pain of loss you also gained love and I hope you get to pass that love on to a little one soon, in the meantime love yourself! :-)