Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emergency band problems when traveling!

I like to cruise, and I enjoy the dining room! Even after being banded I've been able to take 18 day cruises, and I've been able to enjoy the dining room despite my limited ability to intake food.

Eating slowly, and avoiding the rolls, deserts, and other unneeded carbs had worked in the past... for example, we did an 18 day Panama Canal cruise on Holland America... now, if you cruise, and if you do Holland America, you KNOW what the dining rooms have to offer, LOL!

While I did well and survived the 18 days with only a one or two pound gain (which was quickly lost) it soon dawned on me that I could have faced some serious problems if I had become stuck for an extended period.... needing an unfill on the ship, or at a port in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, or even in an obscure port in Mexico would have been scary!!! This is a real scenario that almost any bander might face when traveling! What if that tempting fillet ended up becoming stuck, because I took to large a bite, and didn't chew properly?? Scary stuff.

Since I'm going on another 16 day cruise for Alaska land and sea, here is what I did.... I asked the doctor for an emergency kit, and a script for a syringe and needle that could be used for an emergency unfill by the ship's doctor, or by a medical facility in case of an emergency where I became stuck and was at risk of becoming dehydrated.

If you are going to be traveling out of country for more than a few days, this is something you might want to consider asking your doctor about. You don't want to risk health problems, and we all can experience episodes where being stuck can result in dehydration. I'd advocate being prepared, and being ready for when problems arise. You have nothing to lose by informing your doctor regarding extended travel plans, especially out of country, and having him provide you with the tools and documentation to ensure a safe and healthy journey.

VERY good idea Labwalker. I have thought about this at times when I was traveling. In an emergency, I could easily do an unfill if I was away from "trained professionals"....but it'd be better to have the correct needle.

Very good advice, indeed. I travel a lot, usually to 1st world countries and I always look up and print out the bariatric practices near to where I'll be. Fortunately for my trip next week, I'll be in southern California where there are loads of these places :). For me, this is more about band slips (my big fear, more than getting stuck) but yes, good info all around.

First, without getting into too much detail, I am in a situation that I carry a syringe with me when I travel out of the country..I have had food poisoning, or some kind of bug, before being banded and I do not want that with the band. so I am prepared to do a complete unfill should I get the Noro-Virus or similar...

My Port is 1/4" below the skin, and a one armed blind man can do it!!!

Having said that, it is something between my Dr. and me, and I am not saying this is something I suggest to anybody...and I would say it is not the norm for banded people. But it would be something to speak with your Dr. about if you feel you would not have an issue doing it.

As far as cruising, my wife and I go frequently....

First cruise after getting into the Green Zone, I let it ride and trusted my band....and sure enough, it did not matter how much food was offered to me, my band performed just as if I were anywhere else....I can eat just so much, then that's it...plus the lack of hunger/appetite, and general lack of interest in food doesn't hurt either....

But that's not me, that's because of WLS......

I have always found that my band is a constant...it does not change from day to day. (other than that minor tightness - looseness)

But the big picture, it does not matter where I am at...a party, family gathering, fancy restaurant...or an all you can eat buffet...

It's the band that makes the difference, not me. If it was up to me, I would have failed a long time ago just as I did with so many diets before WLS....

All I need to do, since my portions are limited, is to make the best of what I do eat and not blow it on food that is not nutritious...junk.

Edited by B-52

I should have been more clear, I wouldn't attempt this myself... but they use a special needle and I wouldn't want risk having imy port damaged. I figure the ship's doctor wouldn't have one on hand, so having one available makes me feel a bit more comfortable.