Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! It's finally going to happen

After three previous attempts and my backing out for various reasons, I am finally Ready - Set - Go! I have my surgery on Wednesday the 16th of July, 2014....The pre surgical jitters have already set in. I have read EVERYTHING available - I have watched literally every you tube Video.....and I still am nervous. I know I have to do this for my health - my children lost their father at age 45 due to a massive heart attack and I will not leave them without a fight.....Mostly I am concerned with 1) what if I don't lose weight 2) what if I lose it and then gain it all back???? Are my concerns valid? Did everyone/anyone else experience this???

First of all, everything you feel is valid. They're your feelings, and nobody can invalidate them. :) Of course you are nervous before surgery. There are very few people who wouldn't be.

Speaking for myself only, I have had those same thoughts, plus some more about complications, people's reactions... the list goes on. Like you, I also backed out of going forward with this once. You are not alone with your feelings.

You made the decision when you were in a rational state of mind, not a pre-surgery jitters state of mind, so try to remember that, and remember your reasons for going forward. It may help if you write down all the reasons you decided that WLS was right for you, and all your fears. Everything seems clearer when you put it on paper or say them out loud. You may already feel better just by posting here this morning!

I see this is one of your first posts. I would recommend finding other people on the site that are due to be sleeved this next week like you. It will make you feel much better to share the experience with people who are in the same place as you. You will be able to compare experiences, which will reassure you that you're not alone.

Best of luck!!! I hope to be where you are in a few months.

Had the same feelings, 2.5 weeks post-op and still wondering if I made the right decision. But all I hear from this website and from my friends that have had this done, they all say the same thing. (It will get better and easier as time goes on and you will have no regrets) So I just keep working towards that goal! I agree with jessiquoi, just keep searching in the pre-op discussions and u will find a lot of good advice! Good luck!

Hey, I'd say go for it. It's a challenge, my mom went through a bypass 7 years ago. She gained some weight back due to a bad relationship, so it's a possibility. But she got it back off pretty quick. I just had my surgery on the 9th of this month (july) and it hurts, but I know for the sake of my health, it's well worth it, but every day it's getting better. So... If you really feel and know that this step is a challenge you can take on (which if you listen to and follow all the doctor's directions) you will be fine. Get a food scale if you don't already have one for when you start on more solid foods, and keep that habit up. Weigh your foods, 2 to 4 ounces of food is what I was told. Pay attention to your tummy.. Chew for a minute, eat slow.. And when it's full, stop eating. And I know, from one big lady to another, stopping food is an ordeal that brings tears to my eyes. But I don't want food controlling me any more. I want to enjoy my life, I want to go to parks and ride roller coasters and be able to walk without back pain. I want a life I can be proud of, and I'm sure you do to. So go for it, girl.

Thanks so much...I KNOW it's going to be fine, but very supportive to hear cheering in the background. Thanks so much!