Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery trip this Sunday

Hi Everyone

It is our time for banding. My wife and I fly from chicago to

monterry this weekend. We are so excited and concerned at the same

time.

Question Just who do you tip in Mexico.

We are packing light since we are both having surgery and no esle is

going with us. Is anyone else out there going this week.

I wish we could meet everyone at the bash, but its to soon to travel.

We have really sinned this week. Your name it we've eat it. 2 years

LO Carb,but No Lo Carb this week. We have stop sodas and that is

hard for me. I hate cyrstal light. SF koolaid is working out OK.

Any last minute advise.

Dow and Debbie

Hi Frank

I made sure I had everything I needed for when I got home. Water, gatorade, popsicles, chicken broth, Jello. Also I took with me to Mexico some Gas X for the gas pains. I did not have a problem with it until the way home ... I'm so glad I brought it. Also I took some adult strength liquid tylenol for pain and also needed it driving the bumpy roads to get out of TJ again I'm glad I had it. Best of Luck to you and your wife. I hope all goes well for you both. Please post when you are home and feeling up to it

Good Luck ~

Dow and Debbie your in good hands with Dr Sanchez!! Tell Sadi, Vera says Hi! Try and get all your documentation, receipts, info with your band number before you come home. Yes They can e-mail it but I believe it's better to have it in hand.

Monterrey is a large, fairly clean city. This time of year they may even have rain, but it's warm.

Since your traveling alone, please don't lift any thing heavy.

I brought some Gatorade, like Lisa said "It was heavenly"!

Get up and walk as soon as possible, If your staying at the Hospital Santa Engracia look for the Chapel. The painted murals are 3 stories tall in a beautiful round room in the center of the hospital. A real work of art.

Be Safe, Good Luck, God Bless and Congratulations

Best of Luck and speedy recovery. Post as soon as you guys are up to it.

Hey Dow and Debbie, You both have made a very good decision and it took a lot of guts................ You both will be fine, and I look forward to giving you both all the encouragement I can. I was banded on the 17th of this month in Monterrey too, but with Dr. Rodriguez. I had my surgery at Santa Engracia Hospital........... it is very clean and beautiful, the nurses speak very little english, so be prepared for that. About tipping............ the taxi drivers expect tips and they speak very little english if any. Our dollar is worth 10.50 there so go by that as far as tipping. I will be thinking about you both. Look forward to hearing from you both when you get back home. Keep a smile on your faces........... and take care! Hugz to you both.

Jodie

Good luck to you both.

As Jodie said, Taxi's like tips. Other than that, there's probably not too much that's different than here. Tips for waiters (which you probably wont have to worry about much :)).

But do pack light. I brought everything I needed in a back pack (ok, maybe a little extra, but still in the backpack), and it got a little heavy for me by the end of the flight. My boyfriend was wonderful and carried it for me most of the way, and gave me his lighter backpack when it got to be too much for him by himself.

Once you give up soda you start to find all sorts of other things out there. I actually still sip on a soda every now and then, but not very often. I've had 2 in the last month and a half. Anywho, some of the v8 splash juices are good. I drink alot of Capri Sun. Some Crystal Light. Lots of tea lately.

:D

Dow and Debbie,

I think it is so wonderful that you two are doing this together. What committment to each other. A testament to your marriage.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you both. I will pray for traveling mercies and the healing hands that will be taking care of you.

Lots of good advice given.

Take care of each other when you get home.

Do you have someone comming over when you get home to help you out a bit?

Good luck to you both. I just got back from TIJ on 9/24/04, and am doing fine mostly, I find I have the most difficulty getting up and down, and am just now comfortable sitting in a desk chair. I didn't have much gas pain, and only discomfort at the port site. I was up walking the same day of surgery, and walked up and down several blocks two different times the 2nd day. I was able to turn in bed ok slowly, but couldn't lay on my left side for a couple of days. I read that there is a national law in Mexico that businesses must have a Water purification system if they serve the public, so your hotel is probably ok for ice and Water. Mine was. Clear liquids there was a challenge, but room service is pretty cheap in comparison to room service here.

I read up on tipping before I went and learned the following

tip your bellboys $1 per bag,

Maid service is $1-2

restaurants are 15% like here, tip roomservice likewise,

I also read do not tip taxi drivers,

make sure to say how much before getting in the cab, and say no if they ask too much. My most expensive cab ride was $6 to go quite a ways for shopping.

I guess the cab tipping thing would be up to you, I read not to, and I didn't, and nothing was said.

also I invested in a small electric chopper, and am drinking juices and slimfast in lots of crushed ice to help get the water in, and am using it to puree Soups.

Best wishes for a safe and comfortable trip for you both!

We fly in the morning to have surgery. We still have not told anyone about the surgery. Don't wont to here how crazy we are. We are ready once home to be more open. Your post of encouragement has been a real blessing. In the morning I preach and we go strait to the airport after church. And we can't wait. We feel that this is our answer to prayer.

God is Good...All Day Long

Best wishes for the two of you.

I was banded on Aug 10, 2004 and have lost 60 pounds so far.

Best thing I ever did.

Soda was one of the hardest things for me to Dow But I got thru the three day headache from the caffine withdrawal and I don't have a problems now. I do like Cyrstal Light So that works for me.....and lots of Water.

Don't know much about Mexico and the tipping habits for that trip.

Well Enjoy your new life. Its going to change lotes of things.(for the better)

Once agian good luck and we'll keep you in or prayers here in Michigan

Greg