Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conflicting advice from my Pros--what's a girl to do?

My weight-loss has slowed to a ridiculous crawl the past three weeks, and I am logging everything eat, exercising six days a week (alternating days with strength training and cardio + 7000 steps each day) and presently I eat 800 cal per day, getting 60 to 70 g Protein and 60 to 80 ounces of Water each day. I eat no grains, potatoes, Pasta or bread, only Protein, fruits, veggies and occasional Protein Drink or bar if I am in danger of not getting enough protein on a given day.

Thursday I had my two month checkup with the doctor and a follow-up email with the RN about how to move my weight-loss alone and break the slump. Their recommendation was to continue my exercise, and add one or two days a week of super intense longer session activity as a jumpstart, and also to drop my calories down to 600 still focusing on protein. Okay, I'm willing to try that.

Today I was at my support group, which is run by a team of actual medical professionals, some of whom are joint staffers with my own doctor's office. We each talk about how we're doing, what we are working on and how, etc. When I mentioned this, their advice was much different. They consider my exercise routine to be too much too soon, and said to back off of that, and raise my caloric level yet again. (on their advice I had already upped it from 700 to 800 calories two and a half weeks ago, in an attempt to break this stall back then--no luck!).

So, one team says more exercise and fewer calories, the other team says more calories and less exercise. Maybe I'm looking for a tiebreaker opinion, but seriously – what's a girl to do!?

All I can tell you is what I experienced about the same time. At week 6 I gained 3 pounds and then stalled completely for a month. I was on medication for a Clostridial infection that made me very nauseous and could barely eat or drink. I had to get IV fluids 3 times. There was absolutely no excersise program. As soon as I was off the meds I at least doubled what I was eating and drinking and bam lost 8 pounds in 1 week. It's been slow and steady since then (and still no excersise program ;) ).

Our bodies do strange things and no one can give you a universal magic formula (as you have obviously discovered). I say take whichever version of "expert" advise you feel like and see what happens. If you don't like the results, try the other version. Luckily I didn't have a doctor and nut breathing down my neck, so I figured out my personal magic formula on my own. And there's nothing that says it will work for anyone else.

As soon as I was off the meds I at least doubled what I was eating and drinking and bam lost 8 pounds in 1 week. It's been slow and steady since then (and still no excersise program ;) ).

Sounds like a lousy time with your stall Kindle! Thanks for the reply about your experience.

When you say you doubled -- what amount did you go up to? Two weeks ago they said to up my calories and i went from 650/700 to 800 and the scale hasn't budged. I'd happily cut back on the exercise, but i'm afraid it's part of what's making me feel better these days - so I may just try "Door #1" and decrease calories while increasing exercise. Groan. You're right - I just have to pick one.

I've never counted calories, so I can't give you details. I just know by the number of meals and Snacks and Protein shakes and fluids I was eating and drinking. Even now I have no idea what my calorie intake is. Tracking seems too much like a diet so other than knowing I'm drinking at least 64oz. of fluids and eating Protein first, I don't have a "plan" or meal schedule. I never really let the numbers on the scale bother me because I've felt great and I keep shrinking out of my clothes. I actually dropped a whole pant size during the month I lost no weight. Good luck with your choice!

BTW, with your great excercise routine, you may be trading muscle weight for fat weight, that's why the scale isn't moving. Are your clothes fitting any differently?

Edited by Kindle

I'm slightly awed at you being able to do that! Some people can do that wonderful detachment from scale and counting and do just fine. For me, it's when i abuse latitude and the amounts creep up, along with my weight.

It's possible I'm losing some fat and gaining muscle, and my measurements are incrementally smaller, but not much. My pants a bit looser in line with that, but not a size loss or anything. I've also read research suggesting we can't gain terribly much muscle in a short time. (Much as I might like to think so!) My daughter's gym has a tool to measure body fat percentage, so maybe i'll do that again for comparison if there's still no movement in a couple weeks.

My concern is that statistically we lose at a higher rate and usually 85% of what we'll lose within the first year. My doc had said his patients typically lose about 30% of their excess by the end of three months from surgery. Not going to happen at this rate, and that's why i'm trying to hard to work this. I don't want to blow the opportunity of that window. Probably being paranoid or overthinking this stuff.

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't worry, although it sucks, this is just a stall. :angry: I went through some weeks with zero loss, only to turn around and have great results the following week. Keep doing what you know to do, i.e. stay active and follow your plan to a tee...the lbs. will drop.

I could not agree with Kindle more...don't let the number on the scale define you and dictate your feeling of success!

I have religiously worked out since about week 16. I started with light weights and gradually increased. Weight training five days a week and mild cardio (mowing lawn, staying busy outside and swimming...well, lounging in the pool! :lol:). As you add muscle, you will have weeks with negligible weight loss. However, although the scale may not move, the inches will...so please, don't beat yourself up over the number on the scale. I weigh once a week...if I remember. ;)

By the way, 41 lbs. since April ain't too shabby! Give yourself a little credit! :D

Good luck!

I'm a believer of more calories over less. I'd go up to 1000 calories for a few days then down to 600-800. Keeping the calories ranging helps your body wake up a bit and the metabolism guessing.

I wouldn't worry, although it sucks, this is just a stall. :angry: I went through some weeks with zero loss, only to turn around and have great results the following week. Keep doing what you know to do, i.e. stay active and follow your plan to a tee...the lbs. will drop.

I could not agree with Kindle more...don't let the number on the scale define you and dictate your feeling of success!

I have religiously worked out since about week 16. I started with light weights and gradually increased. Weight training five days a week and mild cardio (mowing lawn, staying busy outside and swimming...well, lounging in the pool! :lol:). As you add muscle, you will have weeks with negligible weight loss. However, although the scale may not move, the inches will...so please, don't beat yourself up over the number on the scale. I weigh once a week...if I remember. ;)

By the way, 41 lbs. since April ain't too shabby! Give yourself a little credit! :D

Good luck!

Thanks Whodat - I'm trying not to be too scale-focused, but also cognizant of the 'honeymoon' period of higher weight loss rate, and don't want to waste it if i can get better results. Also I agree that 41 lbs is good, but that's with my prep diet. Since surgery in April I've lost about 30 lb. The encouragement and experience you offer is much appreciated!

I'm a believer of more calories over less. I'd go up to 1000 calories for a few days then down to 600-800. Keeping the calories ranging helps your body wake up a bit and the metabolism guessing.

I like that idea, and it's basically where i'm sort of landing with all of this conflicting advice. I'm going to drop down to 600 for a couple days and then go up as you say, and drop back down, and see if that helps.

Much to my surprise, I'm enjoying the feeling from working out and my walk/jog days, and both make me feel good, so i'm loathe to stop now. Also fearing i may never talk myself into starting up again! I'm not someone who's ever liked exercise - so want to stay with it while it's feeling so good. Thanks for your input lylabelle - always good to hear more calories suggested, but kinda scary too!

One thing I like about logging my food on myfitnesspal is that I have given my NUT access so she can review what I am eating and give me advice. So far I have been doing good but if I was having a problem - at least she can review it and give me advice!!

I like that site too jajmj, and even printed out recent weeks to take to my last doc appt and when I saw the nut. They just asked a few questions about what and how many macro-nutrients, and we went from there, but it's wonderfully helpful to see where I've slid into bad habits! My nut had advice that made sense, but so did my doc and the RN - all of which were in conflict with each other - groan.

I opted for a combination of my doc and RN who runs the program (18 years with it!) and FINALLY after three days of reduced calories and a couple days of insane exercise levels, I lost a pound. Phew! I"m not willing to keep that up daily, and so will swing up on calories again in a few days to keep my system from adjusting to the new low, as the nut said.

Consider too that if you are consistently eating only 800 calories and exercising that much, your body may be holding on to extra weight for dear life. I eat between 1000-1200 calories per day and work out pretty hard about 3 x per week. On those days I try to make sure my net is around 1000 calories (I eat up to the amount I've burned, if I can.) I still lose. Slowly…sometimes it feels like a snail's pace, but I lose.

I've tried to be up near 1200 calories, especially on days when I am working out. I find that since I got up near 1200 calories, my weight loss has been much more consistent. I burn a lot of calories doing cardio. Of course, I could say this and just stall starting tomorrow out but hey :)

I am in the more calorie camp. When you eat too little your body will get very efficient to hold onto it's stores. I am a believer in getting to 1200 healthy calories by 3-4 months. Exercise in the beginning should be moderate. I also know In my experience if I keep the sugar grams to less than 25g a day and weight will come off! I eat 75-90g Protein a day.

My dr told me to do 1200 calories a day. Do the math, as long as you have more going out than in, you will loose weight.

I prefer to lose slow and surely and not have to deal with the baggy skin. I try to walk at least a mile everyday.

I do 80 grams of Protein a day and 64 ounces of fluids.

Have fun with this journey, just make sure that there are no uturns on this road