Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only required to follow a 24 hour Pre-op plan. What to do 2-4 weeks before?

For my Pre-op I am only required to do 24 hours of Clear liquids and not the 2 weeks I see mentioned here a lot. When others have had doctors requiring only 24 hours, how did you handle the weeks before the surgery?

As of tomorrow my surgery is 4 weeks away and I want to do something structured, but I worry that I won’t have the total commitment and follow-through because the doctor doesn’t require it. I don’t want to start beating myself up over a self-imposed plan that may be hard to follow. On the other hand, I want to go into this healthy and ready and not overeating until 26 hours before surgery!!

Very anxious for ideas, support, help! If you want to message me privately please do. If you have the same problem and want to support each other that would be great too.

I only had a 24 hour pre-op diet. About 2 weeks out I traded lunch for a Protein shake. At that point I also cut out coffee and struggled to cut out alcohol, I ate clean. Pretty much lean meats and vegetables only.

I would start mostly with behavioral stuff - if you haven't already, commit to tracking all of your food on myfitnesspal or something similar. Get used to weighing or measuring all of your portions. Exercise (even if it is just walking) if you can for 20 minutes a day.

If you want to do something dietary, I think you are right in doing something modest rather than something super strict that might lead you to "fall off the wagon" and beat yourself up. Maybe limit yourself to 1700 calories per day or something like that.

Good luck!

Also start with not drinking while eating and waiting 30 minutes after that was a slight challenge

All I had to do for the two weeks is eat anything low or no carb, no sugar. So I ate what my surgeon suggested: meat, cheese, nuts, and low or no carb veggies. The purpose of this diet is to shrink the liver in order for the surgeon to be able to lift it out of the way to get to the stomach.

I personally don't see why a liquid diet is the preferred method for some surgeons. It just seems like unnecessary torture to me.

My liver shrank just fine and I am happy to say that so far I'm free of any complications and at 42 pounds down I feel amazing!

Good luck!!

I only had 24 hour pre surgery diet too. I admit; I splurged the weeks before. :P. I know that's bad BUT I have been 100% committed since surgery (I'm almost 5 months post surgery). so, certainly listen roentgen others and their suggested small changes! Best of luck!

For my Pre-op I am only required to do 24 hours of Clear Liquids and not the 2 weeks I see mentioned here a lot. When others have had doctors requiring only 24 hours, how did you handle the weeks before the surgery? As of tomorrow my surgery is 4 weeks away and I want to do something structured, but I worry that I won’t have the total commitment and follow-through because the doctor doesn’t require it. I don’t want to start beating myself up over a self-imposed plan that may be hard to follow. On the other hand, I want to go into this healthy and ready and not overeating until 26 hours before surgery!! Very anxious for ideas, support, help! If you want to message me privately please do. If you have the same problem and want to support each other that would be great too.

Hello. I'm in the same situation as you and also being sleeved on 7/24! I was thinking about doing Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch starting tomorrow. However my friend that had surgery in January keeps telling me to eat while I can. I'm afraid if I keep eating what I want it's going to be too much of a drastic change post op. Bought a second Ninja blender to take to work, so I really should start doing shakes!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

I became confused a while back when someone told me she did the shakes for a week even though her doctor didn't require it and that after the surgery she regretted not indulging during the time she could have. That would sooo be me, sad and regretful, yet I want to be as healthy and ready for the surgery as possible.

I need to figure out what eating clean would look like for me. I know the junk is gone, but what about the rest? what type of meat? I've been on a steak kick...

Well, I see how I managed to be 100 pounds more than I should!! If I read this post from someone else I would laugh and think they have to know better!!! Wow this addiction is tricky and loves to play dumb!

Crazzescrapper - maybe we can help each other. It sounds like your friend said something similar to what had been said to me. Confusing!

I also had only 24 hours. And did not do any dieting pre-op. Some insurance requires months of tracking and dieting with the office but mine didn't.

Right or wrong I let myself not worry or "diet" for a few months. I was more in observation mode. I watched my food choices and tried to figure out my triggers. And imagined what it would be like not to have those crutches. It was the first time in my entire life I didn't beat myself up over what I was eating. I just got my head around it all, grieved for my friend of overeating and knew that help was on the way. Had my last diet Pepsi ever the night before my liquid day lol.

I am only 3 months post op but for me personally I don't think not dieting before has made sticking to the plan any harder. But lots of people swear by it and it makes sense to give yourself small habits to start so it's not so overwhelming post op.

I had a two week pre op diet, they had me eating small portions of lean meat and as many veggies as I wanted. I can't remember exactly how many oz of meat they had me eat ( it's been over a year) I just remember it was really small. When I got hungry I just ate veggies, don't be super hard on yourself, but I agree although it was hard it was nice to feel basically cleaned out going into it. I also dropped like 13 pounds in that two weeks! Keep the good work up, you will do great!