Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knowing what you know now.......

What advice would you give someone that's getting sleeved in September? From exercising, eating, Vitamins, and anything else you could think of that they should start doing more or less of. How did you prepare & what would you've done differently?

I would advise you to start sipping slowly that was a hard one for me. I was told to but didn't because I have always been a gulper and after surgery it hurt so bad to gulp. Some don't have the problem but many do. So sip and do the baby fork and spoon bites. My nut told me 20/20/20. 20 bites , 20 chews for each bite and 20 seconds bête week bites. I do not usually make 20 bites. Stock up now on crystal light, g2 Gatorade or Powerade zero, flavored water, canned chicken, tuna, chicken broth, sf Jello, sf Popsicles all the foods you are able to eat after. I hated the store where I lived it did not carry what I needed. Follow your dr orders about exercise after surgery. And most important remember you will be fresh out of major surgery don't over so it. Get your house clean, laundry done and all those things before surgery. Just advice from someone who did not do it right.

buy containers (if you don't have any already) to store leftovers in, you will have them. Get in the habit now of researching reasturants before you go so you know what is good to eat (when you get to that stage)

Cut out fast food all together now and start on fewer grams of sugar.

Have your favorite last meal at least one month in advance and enjoy the hell out of it. Say good bye to that food and plan on never eating it again.

Don't over purchase any one food or liquid item (you are going to get sick of things very quickly). Test out at least 25 different sources of Protein you intend to incorporate into each stage. You should have a wide variety of options. You want to know how these items will effect your body before you go into surgery. You may experience some allergies you weren't previously aware of.

Buy a food scale and measuring cups. Get some liquid containers and start getting used to carrying around plenty of Water.

Practice eating slowly and drinking liquid 30 minutes before and after.

Don't weigh yourself more than once a week.

Have support at home from someone. Doesn't have to be a spouse but that helps.

Pre-op. Don't stock up on anything. You should be out and about by day 2 or 3 and able to buy what you like. What you like now will change.

Post-op. Eat really freaking slow and never trust a fart.

Never ever trust a fart. Never. Seriously. Never

Don't buy your Vitamins in bulk before surgery! I did this without knowing how hard it would be to swallow pills post op. I've had to experiment with several types of chewable Multi Vitamins and Calcium that didn't make me sick post-op. Also, buy some small containers and freezer bags for food storage, since you won't be able to eat but a few ounces at a time post op. Oh, and follow your surgeon/NUT's instructions to the letter! I'm convinced that's why I had zero complications (except for occasional constipation) once I returned home from the hospital.

Good luck!!

One more thing- as Josh said, buy a food scale! You will have to measure portions until you can trust your new tummy to tell you when it's full. I still measure everything because I'm paranoid of over-eating and stretching my stomach. Join My Fitness Pal and get used to logging your food. It's a great way to make sure you are getting all your Protein, while also keeping track of fat, sugar, and carbs, and of course, calories!

Never trust a fart- yes, I've had that happen, too! Luckily, I was at home at the time! LOL

Buy a scale at Bed bath and beyond

I searched lots of stores before I actually found a scale

Start exercising, however small it might be, NOW! The more that comes off pre-op that's just that much less you have to lose post-op!

This is all good advice. The big ones stop any caffeine now so you can get over the withdrawal stage, try out as many Protein Shakes you can best to have a few different ones in case you don't like one after surgery. Try to stock up on the liquids and soft foods you can before hand so you don't have to run to the store. Get your house in order, cleaned, dishes done, laundry done etc. Also try to figure out where you plan to sleep. Remember you will have 4-5 incisions on your stomach so it will be hard to get up and down and move in bed. This has been the hardest for me still and I have been home for 3 days now.

I bought the food scale, waste of money since I eat small amounts anyway. I stocked up on Protein Powder and shakes, then at 3 months was told don't drink shakes. I bought so much Soup, egads! I froze food, and decided I hate leftovers and I don't want to eat what was frozen. What I would do different is relax and understand I could get to the store 2 days after surgery and had no need to stock up. I would know my tastes change constantly and what I wanted last week I do not want this week. LOL.