Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling drinking with meals

K I know! After all these banded years I have done what?!?!? Yes slipped back into bad habit drinking with meals! Help!!!!!!!!!

I vow today to stop with Gods help and your encouragement!!

It is what makes the band work and I know it and I need a huge kick in the rear for letting this habit go for many months now!

Thank goodness when i ate today solid Protein meal like supposed to I feel restriction but scheduling with adjustment nurse soon.

Anyone have any tips to help me reset my brain for this!?!? thanks!

I instinctively reach for my glass if it is there. So get it off the table or cover it with a napkin. Set your phone alarm for 30 minutes after a meal and that means you can drink. Before the first bite take a nice big drink of Water. My doc allows drinking up to the first bite but nothing during or 20 minutes after food.

It's only a habit. You can break it. Stay hydrated before you eat and it is easier.

Don't pour the glass.

BTW-If you can wait 1-2 minutes after each bite to drink, your food should already pass through the stoma. It's drinking to wash food down so you can grab another bite that's the problem.

I seldom drink while eating but occasionally I do. But I try to wait one minute after I swallow before I do and try to never wash food down with fluids unless I'm eating leftovers that can be very dry.

Watch this video and pay attention around the 2:00 minute mark. But obey your own doctors protocol if you can?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCE8pGJHG4

It's not that I won't drink with my meals...it is because I CAN'T drink with my meals....

After achieving a certain level of restriction....drinking Water after taking a swallow will immediately come right back up.

The food is sitting there, slowly passing through the band....adding Water will immediately increase the volume sitting in my pouch...having no where to go but right back up....

But that's the thing about the band..it is adjustable and everyone will have a different experience depending upon how their band is adjusted....

As far as washing food down...that NEVER happens with me....

I was perhaps the biggest chug=the=grub bozo out here, as it did solve the problem of stopping to chew as well as being able to get it all down as rapidly as possible.

Surprisingly it wasn't all that hard to change my own habit.

So don't set the drink anywhere near you, maximize the inconvenience of going to get a drink, and take the time to appreciate your brain has a choice in what you do.....that last bit was a hard one for me to become convinced about, but certainly fits with the notions of training ourselves out of Bad Habits and into Good Habits.

Start your New Good Habit today.

B52 im the same way. If I drink amd eat at yhe same time right back up it comes.