Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am in the ins approval waiting period to get my revision from the band to bypass. I got my band in 2009 and after years of trying to find my "sweet spot" and basically becoming bulimic when my band was filled I knew it was time for a change. I was approved for the surgery in 2012 and found out I was pregnant about a month later! My son is now almost a year (tear) and I'm gearing up for this new change. I'm looking forward to being able to eat the foods that are good and NOT throwing them up and opting for "slider" foods. I've recently become a single mom, my ex was abusive-physically, emotional, mental. I feel like this is my new lease on life for me and my son. I'm hoping to find out if I'm approved this week and scheduling surgery for the 1 or 2nd week of July! Nice to meet you all!

~Jules

post-44223-0-39317300-1402857344_thumb.jpg

Hi Jules!

I had much the same experience as you, I was banded in 2008 and spent the past several years throwing up daily, no fun! I too have a young child (turned 1 June 11th) and my pregnancy took a toll on my band. I had band revision in August and then band to bypass on May 21st. It has been like a rebirth. I feel like I have to work harder to keep myself on track because of the years of band habits but I has been great. No more gurgling and sliming, I feel normal again :)

Miri

Miri!

Thanks for responding!! I'm trying to build my support system and some people just DO NOT understand what I'm talking about when I explain how having the band was. Where are you located? I'm in AZ! I hope to find out this week if my ins approved me or not. I'm worried about recovery. Being a single mom, I have no one to help carry my son and he doesn't walk yet. I'm not sure how I will get him in and out of the car, in the bath, in his crib and out. Advice is welcomed and needed!!

No one can know until they have experienced it, I delt with that too and opted to tell very few people until after I was out of surgery. I had my approval within a week, I hope yours comes as quickly!

I used to live in AZ but I now call Indiana home. We visit frequently tho, both my husband and I have family and friend there. I miss it terribly! What part are you in? I lived in the phx area.

Well, I'm not going to give good advice on this because I'm a rule breaker unfortunately. I did have help, my mil came to stay with us and my husband but... I still picked my daughter up. How can I tell a baby that I can't? She is my shadow and although I tried, it didn't work out. I survived... I did however end up with an infection in the port site and cellulitis, I don't know if it was related. My best advice would be to try to line up help early on and try not to pick him up from ground up. By week 2, I was fine but the first week was tough.

Thanks for the advice! I share custody with his dad so he may go over there for a few extra days. I live in Gilbert now but spent most of my life in Scottsdale/Phoenix.

I'm wondering if my doc will take my port out. I hate this thing and it's still tender if I ever hit it on anything. I'm just ready to put the whole band experience behind me.

My current weight is 260 and I am 5'1. My lowest I got to was 186 and I was so happy there-barfing after every meal but happy nonetheless. I talked to my doc would said 130 would be a good goal to have. I'm familiar with eating small potions but I need to STAY AWAY FROM SWEETS!!!! I'm sure I will be a dumper so I'm going to just start saying I'm allergic to sugar so people stop offering me it. I am scared to dump so I'm pretty sure I will stay away from it. I love the website theworldaccordingtoeggface.com-tons of amazing recipes, all RNY safe!

How are you doing with the RNY?

[

My biggest concern was the port, I asked my Dr a couple times just to be sure it was coming out and each time she looked at me funny and said "Yes Miriam, I would never leave it there" I knew it I just wanted to hear it :)

I haven't had a full on dumping episode but I had something that I think was maybe dumping. I have (had) this horrible habit, when I go grocery shopping I will go to the dairy dept and get a chocolate milk. I usually couldn't eat and the chocolate milk would stay my hunger during the shopping trip. I did the same thing last week, thought it would be fine bc I wouldn't drink it all at once... It wasn't. I felt gross, flush and my stomach hurt and that was after drinking 2 oz. I paid for it and threw it away, won't do that again.

I am doing great, approaching week 4 and have lost 25lbs which is shocking to me as I was a lower bmi and was told id lose slow. I am now back in Onderland which makes me extremely happy. I do have struggles, portions.... I don't get the signal that I'm satisfied or full, I don't know if it's just me or I'm broken but I don't so I have to measure everything out. I have over eaten. Attraction to slider foods, I'm so used to it that I have to remind myself I don't need those anymore.

I also have a strong fear of stretching my pouch and failing. My pouch is larger than a virgin pouch, years of band abuse stretched the hell out of the top of my stomach. I also have a very good friend with RNY who did amazing for the first 3 years and is now heavier than she started. She has always sang the praises of the band citing she she wished she would have gone with it instead of bypass. I do learn by example so hopefully I can keep on the straight and narrow.