Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some good thoughts

I am so stressed out trying to make the decision weather or not to get the band. I feel like I am never going to lose weight without surgery, but reading these forums puts so many fears in my head. My husband tells me that I should stop reading them, but I can't help it. So many posts are about scary side effects like PBing and vomiting and not being able to eat anything other than liquids or mush. Drs and Advertisements make it sound like the band allows you to eat whatever you want but not too much. But these posts make it sound so much more complicated and painful than that. Also, it seems like so many people are having complications like slippage and horrible side effects. I can't imagine constantly worrying about having to have another surgery. One minute I really want to, then the next I don't know because of these posts. Has anyone else out there had this problem when making the decision. I am already on my way to getting the surgery (have chosen dr, waiting for insurance approval) but I am second guessing myself every minute of the day. I'm just so confused and can't tell you how depressed over the whole thing. I came home just now and started crying because I feel like I am going crazy over this decision. Anyone have any advice??

Every other moment I try to convince myself that I can do it by dieting, but I know for a fact that I will never be able to keep the weight off once I lose it. I have been battling this since I was 10 years old. Currently I'm 27, 5'5", and 239 pounds. Ugh.

I'm not sure how many people agree with how I did this. I got all of the statistical facts on what 'could happen'. I really tried to avoid 'complications' and 'removal' part of this forum till after my surgery. I had read some, and they made me nervous and worried.. and I had already decided 100% I WAS getting this surgery, I will not become bed-ridden and dead at an early age because of morbid obesity..

So.. I read all the support forums, the before & after pics, the happy yay-goodness stuff.. to keep me pumped. I did educate myself on the risks, and complications.. but I didn't read problem testimonials on it until April 17th. Reading them now, I'm not as scared.. because I'm not letting it affect my decision to get the band. Good luck with your decision!

For myself I do have fears but the fear of a future stroke or heart attack was VERY scary to me. I just knew that I was going to keep adding to my weight. It would be maybe just a few years before I creeped up to my top weight of 276.

edie

I am so stressed out trying to make the decision weather or not to get the band. I feel like I am never going to lose weight without surgery, but reading these forums puts so many fears in my head. My husband tells me that I should stop reading them, but I can't help it. So many posts are about scary side effects like PBing and vomiting and not being able to eat anything other than liquids or mush. Drs and Advertisements make it sound like the band allows you to eat whatever you want but not too much. But these posts make it sound so much more complicated and painful than that. Also, it seems like so many people are having complications like slippage and horrible side effects. I can't imagine constantly worrying about having to have another surgery. One minute I really want to, then the next I don't know because of these posts. Has anyone else out there had this problem when making the decision. I am already on my way to getting the surgery (have chosen dr, waiting for insurance approval) but I am second guessing myself every minute of the day. I'm just so confused and can't tell you how depressed over the whole thing. I came home just now and started crying because I feel like I am going crazy over this decision. Anyone have any advice??

Every other moment I try to convince myself that I can do it by dieting, but I know for a fact that I will never be able to keep the weight off once I lose it. I have been battling this since I was 10 years old. Currently I'm 27, 5'5", and 239 pounds. Ugh.

I understand completely in the area of 2nd guesses. I have been looking at doing this for a couple of years. a week ago tomorrow i was looking again, i met someone on here and as of Tuesday i am now scheduled to have this done. I am at the point that if i don't do something, my life could be cut short. I really don't have any advice. but in Sunday school last weekend, i put this on our class prayer list, (well not the entire truth) i put need confirmation for decision, We , DH and I, went by post office on the way home and there was LB info from the company that I had called for 3-4 months ago, My prayer in church was let me see YOU (God) make it clear that I am in your will and that if this is not what you want me to do make it clear and stop it. I go home and that was in the mail. My husband said when i told him what had happened smiled and said thank you Lord, he had asked for a sign. So that was what helped with my 2nd guessing, now i am just a bundle of nerves waiting for this to happen. Like your husband said to stop reading them, that is easy to say, but we cannot borrow trouble from tomorrow. Just need to be informed and know or have a plan b in place to go to. I think this site is a good plan b from what i have been reading here we can post what our problem and there are wonderful people here that are willing to do some research and help find solutions. Just keep focused on the outcome, My bmi is starting at 61, i have done every type of diet except for Optifast. I have lost 80-90 # many times only to gain them back. so I am going to be thankful for the tool to help keep it long term. Good luck !

I am one with lots of complications and I couldn't BE more pro-band.

Look at it this way. The odds of your having serious complications with a band are low, the odds of your dying of complications due to obesity are quite high. You can sit and worry about the low odds of complications while you continue to gain weight. Does that really make sense?

In my personal opinion....which doesnt mean that much on this site...LOL... I think 239 is not enough to need weightloss surgery. I think if you start to eat the foods now that you WILL HAVE to if you get the surgery and exercise you will lose the weight on your own.

I was at the point of no return at 380 lbs.....it was do or die for me...

At your weight it is not do or die.....and you can bypass all the risks and just do it on your own.....please read my post in the general section that is entitled READ THIS B4 GETTING BANDED......it explains that you cannot go into this thinking it will fix all your problems. You have to put ALOT of work into it. Now that i sit back and think on it....the band plays a VERY SMALL role on this whole thing.

Just my opinion for what its worth...i dunno

In my personal opinion....which doesnt mean that much on this site...LOL... I think 239 is not enough to need weightloss surgery. I think if you start to eat the foods now that you WILL HAVE to if you get the surgery and exercise you will lose the weight on your own.

I was at the point of no return at 380 lbs.....it was do or die for me...

At your weight it is not do or die.....and you can bypass all the risks and just do it on your own.....please read my post in the general section that is entitled READ THIS B4 GETTING BANDED......it explains that you cannot go into this thinking it will fix all your problems. You have to put ALOT of work into it. Now that i sit back and think on it....the band plays a VERY SMALL role on this whole thing.

Just my opinion for what its worth...i dunno

Krystal...

I'm less than that (now) and I could have never come as far as I have or finish without my band.

If you have food issues, what is the reason for letting it get worse before getting banded? Honestly, if someone has food issues, battles weight constantly, I'm not opposed to banding at a BMI of 30.

Krystal...

I'm less than that (now) and I could have never come as far as I have or finish without my band.

If you have food issues, what is the reason for letting it get worse before getting banded? Honestly, if someone has food issues, battles weight constantly, I'm not opposed to banding at a BMI of 30.

I hear ya......I guess i look at risks (pros and cons of getting and not getting the band)...and i look at the reality of the situation that even if your banded or not you have to change your life....the band only does a small portion of the overall picture. If there is really THAT much concern then I would suggest trying to act like you have a band for a month and see if it is something u can mentally do. Only eat 4oz at meal time....exercise...and watch what you eat.

A band can be cheated...so its not a sure thing....ya know?

You HAVE to have the internal will power to MAKE it work for you.

Everyone has different views on this....just my opinion is all.:eek:

I do think 239 is high enough if you have tried to lose weight on your own and cannot.

I am not banded yet. My insurance denied last August, and denied the appeal. I have resubmitted with uncontrollable sleep apnea. That being said, I weigh 240 lbs and am 5'6" tall. I have tried for 18 years to lose the weight. When I had my youngest son (who will be 19 in July) the day I gave birth I weighed 209 lbs. I was appalled! This was 9 months pregnancy weight on top of my weight. I never saw below 200 again. Well, not entirely true. I did fen-phen and lost 80 lbs and was loving life and feeling health and full of energy and sleeping well. That of course didn't last. Every diet since then, I will lose SOME weight and gain it all back plus.

Not trying to argue at all, but my health is deteriorating every year. Now my blood pressure is high and I have high cholesterol. My insurance won't count those though, cuz I would have to be on medication, and have that not control it to be counted as a comorbidity.

I am 46 years old, and as tired as a 70 year old woman. I go to my job and I come home. I have been walking every day, even though it winds me to do so. I am preparing my body for surgery, as with or without my insurance, I am having it done. If insurance says no, I have a date in June in Mexico.

So, my struggles over the past 19 years make me say that I do believe 239 lbs is high enough if you have struggled for a long time.

I have had my gallbladder out, recently a hysterectomy due to fibroids and ovarian cysts (which the gyn said was made worse by obesity, as when you are obese your body creates more estrogen, and estrogen feeds both fibroids and cysts.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book. This one just caught my eye.

Have a nice day everyone, and good luck with your decision.

Keep in mind im not trying to offend anyone.....my view on this could certainly be distorted because i am so big. I am working my butt off now to lose the weight.

THE ONLY WAY THE BAND WORKS IS IF YOU WORK WITH IT....am i right?

I love all you guys dont get mad at me...lol

I've heard someone mention before the-- 'try eating like a bandster before you do it, see how you can handle it', and someone who is banded rebutted about how it's not fair to say that.. the band offers restriction and without the restriction a 4oz meal is not going to satisfy someone who has not been banded.. so I DON'T think that's a good idea, if anything it will give you a distorted view of what would be to come if you had the surgery.

hi

I was banded in July of 2006. I was not much more than you, but shorter 5'2 and 252 as of surgery day. I am so glad I did it. I am 35, struggled for a long time and decided to go for it. I self paid in Mexico with Dr. Kuri. I do think that I could have lost the weight without surgery, but I have no doubt that I would have gained it back had I not had the band put on. When I hit my first plateau, I knew it was ok because it was not going up and I knew eventually it would keep going down and it has. I am 16 lbs away from my first goal of getting under 200 lbs!!! It has been a long long time!

This is not a easy fix and has taken a lot of will power, don't kid yourself or believe the commercials which I think suck! Good luck!