Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would LOVE to have a new buddy / Mentor or two

I am still a very new lap band baby. I was just banded on 5-12 and I am already making big mistakes and needed a mentor to help me understand things. I am not looking for approval to do what ever I want. I made that mistake by eating real food when I am supposed to be on mushy. I have no concept of time. really I do. I need someone to say to me STOP THAT! Do it this way, I am scared I messed my band up because I had real food at this stage. I don't want to have another surgery, I fell like a looser right out of the gate. since my first follow up appointment with the doctor that was the Friday after my surgery. I have not lost one pound,

Anyone want to try to help me? Did I hurt the band, I am appalled at my behavior. absolutely disgusted.

Anne Marie Elias

Actually, this initial stage is not for losing, it's for healing. Drink plenty of Fluid and follow your doctors orders. You have sutures that need to heal and you don't want to tear anything loose. You'll find lots of support on this site, but the burden is still yours. We all occasionally don't follow the rules, but don't do anything to jeopardize your band.

Actually, this initial stage is not for losing, it's for healing. Drink plenty of Fluid and follow your doctors orders. You have sutures that need to heal and you don't want to tear anything loose. You'll find lots of support on this site, but the burden is still yours. We all occasionally don't follow the rules, but don't do anything to jeopardize your band.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anne Marie....any time you feel like doing what you know you shouldn't, remember how you are feeling right now. Honey, this is not always an easy journey, but the rewards can be great. Keep your eye on the prize.

Thanks y'all :-)

I didn't realize this time was healing and not to really worry about weight loss. I thought I had to drop a bunch of weight the first few weeks or the doctor would be very upset at me.

I was really upset because I had my colon removed in 2012. So things usually just really go through me really fast. I usually have to go 3-9 times a day (No bag they hooked the end of my small intestine to the rectum) and I was worried because I didn't go for a day. But all is running (Pun Intended) really well. LOL

I still would like friends who can give me the ins and outs of this journey - words of wisdom and guidance pople I can come to with questions.

:-) Hugs

AM

Bring on the questions, there's a lot of personal experiences and NSVs here.

Great advice ladies. Truth. This initial phase is for your stomach to heal. The idea is not to make it work too hard to digest foods or get stretched out, gassy and bloated. Should be simple foods/liquids that pass on thru easily. Keep it calm. Let it rest. That kind of thing. I made a lot of mistakes too. And I ate a lot of wrong foods for several years now. Thankfully, I did not damage my band or stomach by being so careless. I use a lot more caution now. Take it easy on yourself and your body. solid food will come. I remember what it was like to want it so much tho. I did not have an easy time either. Just so ya know. :-) I absolutely came out of the gate a rebel. It has taken me years to want to do the right thing. :-)

Hello everyone!

I feel so ashamed of myself and I feel like people are staring at me all the time "saying she isnt losing weight", I had my lapband done in Oct 2013 and up til now I have only lost 36 pounds and 15 inches, I cant get by with only a cup of food, I feel so guilty, I feel I have let my family down and more importantly myself...I feel like I need someone to put a week or month menu in front of me on what to eat...I work nights and so with my schedule backwards to the rest of my family I feel like I eat around the clock....Anyone who would be willing to help me get on the right track or someone I should see to get on the right track would be greatly appreciated.....

Hello everyone!

I feel so ashamed of myself and I feel like people are staring at me all the time "saying she isnt losing weight", I had my lapband done in Oct 2013 and up til now I have only lost 36 pounds and 15 inches, I cant get by with only a cup of food, I feel so guilty, I feel I have let my family down and more importantly myself...I feel like I need someone to put a week or month menu in front of me on what to eat...I work nights and so with my schedule backwards to the rest of my family I feel like I eat around the clock....Anyone who would be willing to help me get on the right track or someone I should see to get on the right track would be greatly appreciated.....

Brenda...sweetie...talk to your surgeon. That's what he/she is there for. I've not had any fills so I can't say for sure but maybe you are in need of one.

If you are in proper restriction, you may need to discuss how to become aware of satiety rather than fullness. It's not always easy as we are overeaters and haven't learned how to eat like a naturally thin person. It takes work, and really and truly listening and looking for the signs that tell you that you are done.

Oh, and regardless of your current struggles, you are not a failure. You've lost 36 pounds and 15 inches. That's not anything to be ashamed of, it's something to be proud of.

Start a new thread with the same thing you wrote in this thread and you'll get lots of advice from the folks here on this site.

There are plenty of ppl on this site like u. I was one if them 17 days ago. I came here out of the same despairation. There's a lot of support here. Keep coming back.

And I'll just go on the record and say I'm struggling tonight and have been doing some comfort/stress eating all day. And even with the band you can do that with slider foods. I've gotten into sugar today and that just starts a vicious cycle. I feel bad and think I'm getting a cold. I just wanna sink into the sweets and feel better. Anyone know about that? Cuz I'm thinking I'm not alone here. It happens. Many of us are not normal eaters. Normal eaters don't turn to food when stressed about an upcoming event or when they don't feel well. Share it or wear it. So, I'm putting the food down and sharing it tonight. No shame here. I'm done with that. Too many years of it and just caused me to eat more. Thanks for a place to be honest. Together we get better.

I hope you're feeling better. Sometimes you think sweets will make you feel better but they only make you feel worse. When I want something sweet, I try diet hot chocolate

I hope you're feeling better. Sometimes you think sweets will make you feel better but they only make you feel worse. When I want something sweet, I try diet hot chocolate

Excellent idea! Which usually works. But, and a big one, I stupidly brought home marshmallows thst were left over from a church event thinking I'd be ok with them in the house. I'm not ok with them in the house. They went into the sugar free hot chocolate and also in my hands and in my mouth. Too many times. Ack! I just can't be trusted when it comes to sugar. If I doubted it before I know it now. Feeling very thankful I have somewhere to be the real self with. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Brenda, you are not a failure. No way, no how. It is VERY challenging to eat like a bandster when you aren't in the Green Zone. I would make an appointment with your lapband doctor and nutritionist. (Mine are in the same office, so I can see them both in the same appointment.) You most likely need a fill or two to get you on track. Trust me, when you have a good fill level in your band, you won't be able to overeat. The band will be helping you so much and the pounds will start to fall off.

Hang in there and try not to get discouraged. You have lost weight. That's ALWAYS better than gaining. With the right fill, your weight loss will be on fire!

My hardest time is right after a fill...I should be on fluids for a few days and just can't stay that way long...so I am hoping this fill today will do something for me...I am living in Frustration City!!!

Brenda my doctor said if you can eat more than a cup of food its ok as long as you are losing or maintaining. Best advice from nutristisit I received after 3 years banded. Write down what you eat. Keep records of calories, fat, and most importantly Protein. That way you can make adjustments to get the right amount of what you need.

Also this is a great site to ask others what has worked for them.