Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting my life back

Hello fellow michiganders, i am about 3 weeks pre op, and when i got the call, saying i was approved, i felt a huge weight lifted. I was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident just before 9/11. I ended up putting on 100lbs because of having to have my back fused. I have many other illnesses associated with obesity, that i hope to get rid of after this surgery. im currently 6'3" and about 370. any insights or hints or support would be appreciated. Im ready to get my life back. thanks all:help:

Hello fellow michiganders, i am about 3 weeks pre op, and when i got the call, saying i was approved, i felt a huge weight lifted. I was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident just before 9/11. I ended up putting on 100lbs because of having to have my back fused. I have many other illnesses associated with obesity, that i hope to get rid of after this surgery. im currently 6'3" and about 370. any insights or hints or support would be appreciated. Im ready to get my life back. thanks all:help:

Where are you from and where are you being banded???

Well, I sometimes hate to admit it, but for me it was... pardon the expression.. a piece of cake! I had no pre-op diet except doc wanted me to lose a few pounds to shrink the liver. I opted for a low carb/ high Protein diet for a week before surgery. Then liquids the day before and it's been Clear Liquids and yogurt ever since. I have one more week on clear liquids.. then all liquids.. then mushie food and then regular food. I had no pain to speak of afterwards. Just a little pulling in the incision area... and NONE of the gas pain everyone talks about. Don't know why I was spared, but I'm very thankful. For me it was just a very easy surgery and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Port Huron is a wonderful hospital with great staff and my doctor is one of the finest in the state for Lap band surgery. He has done over 700 of them so far.

The liquid diet is not really that bad. With broth, sf Jello, yogurt, sf popsicles and juice there is enough variety for the day. I take a chewable vitamin... Viactiv chocolate cherry and it's my little chewing treat each morning.

Hope all goes well for you!!!

Judy

super insight, i had really bad gas after my spinal fusion surgery, worse than any of the back pain i ever experienced. hope not to relive that again. my doc has done about 1200 they tell me, he was also the vascular surgeron for my fusion. im so ready to get my life back, the biggest reason is to take some strain off my back, about 150 lbs worth i hope. well i hope you have continue good luck, and keep me informed on your progress as i will keep you informed on mine. 5 more days till the infamil...lol

take care

mike:painkiller:

I definitely will be checking on you, Mike. We Michiganian..errrr Michigander.......errrrr whatever the heck we are..... have to stick together! Even though you're going out of state for your surgery.. lol

You have five days til liquids and I have five days til I can have stuff other than clear liquids. Never thought I'd be so happy to see V8 juice and lo fat pudding and custard.. wooo hooooo!!

Judy

Hey Mike! The good news for you is it seems the weight loss for men with the band goes VERY fast. A guy in my small town had it done and weighs about the same as you do and he lost 50 pounds after one month, it's taken me 7 months to lose 50! hehe.

I had the gas for a few days after surgery but it wasn't too bad and it was totally worth it. You're making a great choice! That first month on liquids will go by quickly and you'll surprise yourself at how creative you become with liquids. hehe.

The hording food is common. They call it "last supper syndrome" I had it BAD! I'd sit at work and think of all the stuff I will never have again (not true) and I'd pick which thing I was going to go have after 5pm. It was horrible!

The hardest thing for me to give up has been pepsi and the occasional beer. I miss them both. But again it's so worth it and I'd rather live my life without pepsi or beer then be 393 pounds again.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you progress. You'll do great! Welcome to a whole new life!!!

i like tapiocca... not sure they make it sugarfree though. do you know if you are able to drink sugarfree pop, eventually, thats gonna be another tough one for me, well enjoy your impending level up ..lol

my kids and i are getting together this weekend for lapband final cookout party.. chicken, steak and the fixings. mikes last stand, did you have one..take care

mike:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

thanks for all the kind words all of you, its nice to know there are other people that know how you feel and what you are going through... for many years after my accident, i was happy to just be alive, i ate because i was bored, then couldnt lose the weight, because of my injuries. Now i have the chance of a lifetime, and i will suceed. if i dont respond directly to you, its because i am new to posting in this way, so i will try to post with a little for everyone. thanks so much for all the great words, and

support. You all have put my mind at ease

mike:thankyou: :confused: :cool: :eek: ;):D :D :D :thankyou:

As far as my doc is concerned.. pop or anything carbonated is a no no. Tends to stretch the pouch and was told it was very painful to boot. I'm not gonna try it.. nuh uh. I drink Crystal Light. and reduced calorie juice. Crystal Light equals my Water for the day and the juice tastes like a treat to me.

I didn't do the "last supper" meal, but many have... so go for it!! Just know that you WILL be able to eat normal food again.. but this time you'll eat it like a "normal" person with Portion Control.

Judy