Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fashion

If someone had given me a little glimpse into what would be in style when I got down to a decent size, I swear I would've just eaten myself into oblivion instead of doing all of this work! Seriously, with the one piece jumpsuits, and the half tops and all of the other ridiculous shit I just saw while attempting to find clothes that fit me. It's all garbage. I was so excited to go shopping, I have awesome plans, a babysitter--and yoga pants. Lovely.

Jenny have you tried Old Navy, Gap, banana Republic, Chicos or Lands End.

I had real good luck with them in finding clothes that are not crazy fashions like they are show these days.

Good luck in finding new clothes for yourself.

Sorry but this made me laugh because I thought the same thing, however, have you tried some of the 1/2 shirts with a tank underneath? I actually bought one they're really cute on. I had the same thought and then I said why not try it:-)

I think that there are still plenty of "classic" type clothing available. I am a Ross Dress for Less fan - plenty of junky stuff there but also nice stuff. I sometimes shop in the juniors stuff for a few fun things, but they also have nice Calvin Klein, Michael Kors and other "adult" fashions that are classic without looking frumpy old lady.

I will never ever wear a once piece jumpsuit. Never. ever.

OMG I wore those things in the 80's when I was 16 and wore a size 4 :) Now I'm over 40 and it's really not my style it wasn't then but yes it was cute and it was the "fashion" and you could toss it out with the trash like all the rest of the "fashion" items that change with the times.

My sizes keep changing but good style never really does. You can add pizazz and you can add a bit of chic and funk to just about anything without being odd or trashy. You can be 80 and be fashion forward without looking like your wearing your granddaughters clothes. It just takes a sense of self and a sense of style.

I know it's not easy with our changing bodies to find where we "fit" into things all the time I have that issue often. My size keeps changing but I like what I like and I don't want to compromise my taste or my style because of the times or the "fashion" of the moment. I pick and choose this or that to add as I like it or not and keep the classic things that I enjoy. My yoga pants are just one of them. On a weekend try to get me out of those! I even buy them for work when I can get away with it! Pair them with a fitted button down shirt and blazer and your in a power suit honey and ready to kick some ass :)

My (now ex) mother in law was a dress maker for many of the top fashion designers in NYC. Vera Wang, Christian Dior, Olga Cassini, I could go on...and you know what all these lovely fashionistas wear on the daily....? Jeans and a tee shirt. So be comfortable, find what you like and accessorize it and make the clothes define who you are not the other way around is what I learned from these mega stars!

I had a lot of good luck at the Loft. I also like Macy's and can find the occasional item at Land's End.

Swear to God....this city gal has alot of luck at Kohl's and JC Penney of all places...

Am I the only one here still shopping at Goodwill!? I can only wear each size for 6 weeks or so anyway, then it' s back to Goodwill! We have several near Indy that are quite good. Sometimes I even grab things that are too small because I know I'll be there soon! Got this gorgeous Ann Taylor jacket that I will look SMOKIN' in 10 pounds from now! I do have to invest in expensive bras, however. The girls deserve to appear as magically perky as I can afford!

Am I the only one here still shopping at Goodwill!? I can only wear each size for 6 weeks or so anyway, then it' s back to Goodwill! We have several near Indy that are quite good. Sometimes I even grab things that are too small because I know I'll be there soon! Got this gorgeous Ann Taylor jacket that I will look SMOKIN' in 10 pounds from now! I do have to invest in expensive bras, however. The girls deserve to appear as magically perky as I can afford!

Maybe thats why my girls aren't "magically perky". I can finally fit into the cheap Target bras with skinny straps (I've always had to wear over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders) so I buy those now. Maybe I should go back to my $50 bras?

Edited by marfar7

I still shop at the salvation army. i drop about a size every 6 weeks too so no point in buying new things to donate back to the store. ( hope i didnt jinx myslef lol) yonkers, macys, jc penny, sears (mine has lands end inside it) all have classic pieces and some trendy stuff too. just becasue im thinner doesnt mean im going to dress like a 16 yr old :D

I agree about this years fashions. ..no. Just no. Some things should never be resurrected and that includes all of the 80's. Lol

I'm constantly asking my husband if I'm trying to look like I'm 16 when I'm trying on clothing. Last summer, I bought a pair on neon (tri color, mind u) pink/orange/yellow skinny jeans. As soona as I put them on at home, I knew they were a no-go. Just becuz I can doesn't mean I should. I look like a fool. That was a wasted $30 from Penneys. I'm 46 and have to shop for my jeans in the juniors dept cuz my butt is so small that the womens jeans make my butt look even saggier.

Good luck!

Oh, and I LOVE Old navy!

Edited by marfar7

Oh man, my goal clothes are some shorts and shirts from my college years (circa 1980). My daughters wear them now. Of course, they would be considered vintage now. Hope I don't look like a damned fool wearing them again, because I AM going to wear them!

Oh man, my goal clothes are some shorts and shirts from my college years (circa 1980). My daughters wear them now. Of course, they would be considered vintage now. Hope I don't look like a damned fool wearing them again, because I AM going to wear them!

Thats what I said in the dressing room at Penneys last year when buying those said neon tye died skinny jeans. becuz they were a size 7. And only cuz they were a size 7. "I'm going to ear these"

Guess I needed a good girlfriend to go shopping with me to talk me out of some purchases!

However, last summer I looked terrible in tanks, as I always have. Since last summer I've lost an additional 26 lbs so tanks look decent (not great, still have a little sideb-boob going on) so I've been buying them alot lately. While I may not look fantastic in em, it gets hot in So Ca so I'm comfy.

Oh, did I mention the coochie-cutters I bought over the last year, thinking that someday they may look decent on me? Recently gave them (size 8/9 - they fit but make me look like I'm trying to be 16) to my stepdaughters girlfriend. Coochie cutters look much better on a 21 yr old a** than a 46 yr old a**.

Edited by marfar7

Coochie what??