Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just discharged. Had surgery 5/21

Hi all - I had VGS on Wednesday with Dr Jossart at CPMC in SF. Everything went well, no complications I had some anxieties before surgery about if my surgeon would need to open me up. I'm on the larger end of one of his usual patients.

Pain hasn't been too bad but I stayed in the hospital for two nights. Felt much stronger and more like myself this morning.

Happy to be home, although my hospital experience was very positive. A little nervous about getting enough fluids or Protein and not gulping. It's hard to sip but I imagine I will learn quickly as it hurts to gulp more than an ounce at a time.

This far I am down 5 lbs since day of surgery but this may be because I'm on a different scale.

Congratulations! Can you believe you are finally on the other side of your surgery? I am an RN but still nervous about my surgery June 12 th. We just need to sip sip sip that Water to stay hydrated and get the Protein in for healing! Good luck!

It really is hard to believe that just a couple days ago I teared up on the operating table.

All of my RNs were fantastic and made everything so easy for me. And yes, sip sip sip. I made the mistake a couple times of gulping and ouch. Too full!

Good luck to you! It will here in no time.

Hi guys,

I struggled massively at first sipping Water and even more trying to sip Water with my crushed medication. Stay strong and keep sipping, it gets easier. I'm 2 months post op now and no problems drinking. Not being able to drink enough at the beginning made me dehydrated which caused dizziness and low blood pressure. I mistaked this thinking it was because I was lacking food for energy.

Keep sipping your doing just fine.

I am on last day of stage one eating. Can't wait for stage two on Saturday. Sipping is going well but abdominal pain on right side is intense. I am getting so much comfort from this forum already. Can't wait to hear how you're all doing. Let me know how I can help.

no complications

@@yasmineSF

welcome home :)

glad things went well with surgery :)

between getting all your Protein and drinking........

drinking is MUCH more important

when/if you don't drink enough - you might get dehydrated :angry:

try sipping room temperature Water - that might be easier for you to swallow

sip slowly :)

walking around the house for a while is good too :)

especially if you still have some gas :o

continued good luck during recovery :)

in my chrystal ball i see you will have a wonderful healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

no complications

@@yasmineSF

welcome home :)

glad things went well with surgery :)

between getting all your Protein and drinking........

drinking is MUCH more important

when/if you don't drink enough - you might get dehydrated :angry:

try sipping room temperature Water - that might be easier for you to swallow

sip slowly :)

walking around the house for a while is good too :)

especially if you still have some gas :o

continued good luck during recovery :)

in my chrystal ball i see you will have a wonderful healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck :)

kathy

Sounds like you are on the other side of the worst of it. How are you today? Feeling good? Losing weight?

I had my surgery on 5/21 as well. And I am from the Bay Area too. ;) how are you doing? Do you attend any support groups out here?

Yes, doing pretty well post-op. Today is my first time I've had any craving for food, which is a little hard to manage.

I've been drinking Water and two Protein shakes a day. My smaller incisions are almost healed. Only a little soreness under my rib cage.

Down 27 pounds. And have my post-op check in on the 13th.

As for support groups, I go to one that's once a month that my surgeon hosts for his patients. I'm in San Francisco. Let me know if you know of any and I'll join you! Feel free to private message me.