Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

firts time at this site

Hello. First time at this site. Looking to find out more info. My main question is this, if I were able to follow the diet need after the banding, before I have the banding done, I wouldn't be needing the banding now.

So, after the op I won't want to eat as much because I feel full? But people be honest, how many heavy people eat because of hunger, I eat because I feel driven to eat, I just want to eat.

I was set to do the by-pass-op. It was a thursday, the day the small group of people met with the doctor meets with you to "talk you out of the op" okay 1 in 50 does not come out of the op, and everyone says that it won't be me, but it just might, so keep that in mind. Then they go over what happens for the next 6 months of your life post op, and I said, "if I could do all that now I wouldn"t need the op in the first place".

It took me 18 months to get all the paper work in place for the op, the nurse, who just had the op a year ago lost 120 lbs, started me on the paper work was now also at this thursday meeting. Well I remember her dress fitting nice, was now very tight. She had started stress eatting after a family member was sick. I could see that this lady was upset about her dress.

I was to go in that Tuesday, Sunday my mother in-law was sick and went to the e.r. with stomach pain. My wife needed me by her side and so I canceled the op. Mother in law had stage 4 cancer and past away in 5 weeks. That was all 18 months ago. I have not lost any weight, I have put on 25 lbs instead. Desided the by-pass is to risky, mand I am going to do the band.

There you have it. ANY FIND BACK ON THE BAND OP WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOMED. Thank you. Allan:help: :help:

Hi Allen,

I found I had to make a lifestyle change to make this work. You are right, some overweight people don't eat simply out of hunger, and taking away that hunger is not always the answer.

Once the hunger was taken from me, I had to find other things to occupy my time, and thoughts. I did so with (just as an example) Photography, editing a club magazine, running, playing with my son more, walking the dog, painting, knitting... The list goes on.

With time the urge to eat died down, and now I rarely think about what I am going to eat next, or when I am going to eat. It just sort of happened. I don't know when. But I am glad it did. I now know that I was just existing. Not living. And I will be forever in my little silicone band's debt for that. It taught me that living is far, far more than just existing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide regarding the RNY Vs LapBand. Both have their risks, be sure to research you stats (for both op's) because nothing is 100% risk free.

Hi Allan. I haven't done the lap-band as yet myself and now just going through the process of getting it done. I have, however, had many friends who opted for the by-pass. The seminars and research I have done state that 1 in 20 do not live past the one year mark after by-pass surgery. I personally know 11 people who have died from by-pass surgery within the first year. I have yet to find anyone who has died from the lap-band. food is my drug of choice too, and I'm going to have to work diligently to overcome that. Lap-band isn't the "fix". It's a tool, and right now I'm needing that tool to help me.... lol. Sorry for all the stress in your life. I know how that is myself. Twenty-three months ago I was in a bad car accident and ended up in a coma. I've gained almost 100lbs since then. Good Luck...

Read this site.. the entire site... Many of your questions (if not all) will be answered...

For me and I would guess for most here the EMOTIONAL eating and the HEAD Hunger are real reasons why we are in the situation. You do have to change your mindset, you DO have to be ready to change your life. The emotions do not go away and it is up to you to work on them. Keep your hands busy, take a walk instead of eating for Stress... I know sounds easy, but the reality is hard (at least in the beginning)

As for Bypass.... My two RL best friends have had it..... one is 4 years post op and the other is 2...... both lost around 120 lbs...... the four year patient has gained about 40% back, and the two year patient just had a breast lift, tt, and lipo......... the one who gained is now thinking of getting banded because her pouch has stretched.....

I knew going the RNY route was not for me, I can lose weight.... but keeping it off is my problem, my VOLUME eating is a problem.... the band will help me to control the VOLUME, and will also help me maintain, because 2-3 years down the road if I start getting complacent or sloppy with my choices.. I will GET A FILL... where the RNY people can't.

Good Luck