Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food tracking program

What program do you use to track your food? MYFITNESSPAL says I should have close to 1500 calories a day and 49 gr carbs. I don't think so...

Just adjust myfitnesspal. I have it set to 800 calories per day

I like and use My Fat Secret. I add the foods I want and it totals it all up. Plus it keeps a good record of my weight. Xx

Thanks for the app tip. I like it so much better. Just downloaded it. 1 week post op today.

Thank you. I just d/l my fat secret. That is one I can figure out!!

What program do you use to track your food? MYFITNESSPAL says I should have close to 1500 calories a day and 49 gr carbs. I don't think so...

I primarily use sparkpeople for all of my tracking. I have it on my phone too, so I can track on-the-go.

Just adjust myfitnesspal. I have it set to 800 calories per day

Do you really eat only 800cal a day. I am shooting for 1200 and still sometimes go over. What do you eat on an average day, maybe I can pick up some tips.

When I saw my doctor for my 2 mos checkup, I told him I was eating his suggested 400-500 calories a day. He said "great". He also told me I would lose more wt if I kept up with the 2 shakes a day and I am happy to do that. He suggested 600 cal a day for the phase I am in....(almost 3 months) so that is what I do

I've been using MFP for two and a half years and love it but there are any number of apps that do essentially the same thing. I think it's important to remember that MFP was not written for bariatric surgery patients. For that matter, I'm not aware of any app that was written specifically for bariatric surgery patients. The MFP program (and all others that I am aware of) was written with a "one size fits all" formula that calculates your daily calorie goal based on your gender, age, height and weight goals. But there is no one size fits all, especially in the area of bariatric surgery. So the key for any app is ability to customize your goals to meet your individual needs.

It goes without saying that your daily calorie goal is the one that your surgery team gives you at your specific point in your journey. One of the strengths of MFP (I can't comment on other apps) is that you can customize it to virtually anything you want. While some changes can be made on the app itself, many more options can be customized from the MFP website. A 600 calorie/day goal - easy to do. Set a higher percentage of your daily calories to come from Protein - also easy to do. It is that ability to tailor your goals to your situation that is perhaps the most important deciding factor in whatever app you are considering.

Regardless of the app that you chose, maintaining a food log is, next to the surgery itself, the most powerful tool you can have in your weight loss (and maintenance!) arsenal.

On myfatsecret......how do I manually add food? For example I only ate 1/4 c 1% cottage cheese and it didn't have that portion selection