Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed Lapband Patient

Autumn,

I agree with you. I have lost weight in the past, however gained it back due to behavior and emotion. I think the Band is only a tool, that will hopefully provide me with the awareness to deal with the real issues. I know I have to change choices of food etc. However, for some even surgery can not change their ability to change, but we all know how hard this is. I am praying that the surgery provides me with the finality of the decision. It is like an alcoholic who loses their job, family, home, etc and still drinks. You wonder what their cut off point is, what has to happen. It is the same with eating. For some it is more difficult to fight the desease.

I also think this doctor is capitalizing to make money on these woman!

Sad, Janine

Watch it end to end. She admits to still eating chips, ice cream...

Repost after you have the other surgery and let's see how well you do.

The doctor who posted it is a quack. His website looks like a spammers' site. Almost everything he posts is just advertising for MGB. Shame on him for exploiting his patients the way he does.

Well we all know from experience what she did wrong. I think this doctor is sadly exploiting this still very obese woman. How sad for her. She has someone with her who is echoing true sentiments "your fault"..and so forth.

We all know what it takes to make the weight loss happen with the band. Obviously she failed to have proper restriction and follow the theory that this is a tool not a magic pill to weight loss.

Another fat person exploited for corporate gain. How sad for her.

OMG...that video makes me so mad that I couldn't even finish watching it! How can she blame the band? If it's too tight...loosen it. If it's too loose tighten it. And no one should eat ice cream, chips and other junk food then cry when they don't lose weight. DUH!

The funniest part is...she admits that she lost 60 lbs at first. Then let's guess what what happened?? Uh, I know...she got sick of trying and gave up. Then naturally she blamed her band instead of herself.

So whatever, get your mini-bypass and eat crap foods for the rest of your life. Good luck to ya honey! You might end up thinner but you sure won't be any healthier.

wow! Lapbandit you have been so successful! Please share your secrets with us who are just starting out in the near future. I want the same results as you.

BetsyJane.... it is HIPAA violation if medical information was released without signed consent of the patient...however, if the patient signed a waiver allowing the release of this video then they are in the clear...with no violation.

I have several different takes on this video:

1. If the patient did not consent to the release of this video..then WTF is wrong with this Dr???

2. Its very clear that this girl had unrealistic expectations of the Lapband surgery. As it has been stated by many people here... it is a TOOL.. not a CURE. Sure did sound like it did work for her... 60lbs is a lot to lose... most likely she hit a plateau and didnt want to work for the rest.

3. It is understandable that her original surgeon did not want to preform yet another weight loss surgery on her... and it IS true..and I've seen it on many times, you CAN most certainly out eat bipass surgery. And, yes...it is her own fault...no one elses.

4. I am using this video as a lesson to myself. I've yet to be banded and i DO NOT want this to happen to me. I'm willing to change my life..for good.

wow! Lapbandit you have been so successful! Please share your secrets with us who are just starting out in the near future. I want the same results as you.

Thanks Wenjea! My advice...do everything opposite of that lady in the video hahaha. Really, I follow "Eating For Life" by Bill Phillips and get LOTS of exercise...a combo of cardio and strength training.

Like Melissa O said, there is no HIPPA violation here unless her personal medical information was released without her signed consent. I seriously doubt she made that video with the intent of no one but her and her doctor seeing it. I am sure she signed a release. I am also pretty confident she is probably getting her bypass surgery for free, and/or received a nice little check for making that video, speaking out against the band and helping to convince people to go to her new doctor.

Just watched this...actually it's still playing in the back ground....I can't stand to watch it any more!!! She's going to fail at the GBP too! She obviously didn't work with her surgeon...or had a surgeon that worked with her. She obviously hasn't dealt with her addictive behavior issues. I know that part's SO difficult, but dang...I don't know know, I see a woman that is looking for something to FIX her...not help her get healthy! I feel so sorry for her because she just doesn't get it! She's so young too! They told her at the very end "We'll remove the lapband, have the mini bypass and you'll be all good after that"!!!! What a crock!!!

Now I am stating this without yet having the band, but I KNOW I still have a lifetime of work ahead of me. That this is a tool to help me know when I am full. I KNOW that I MUST communicate with my surgeon and if I had a surgeon that "pointed all the blame at me" (as she states hers did) I would find another surgeon!

I'm not downing GBP...I've considered it myself because it seems easier than the lapband and faster inital weight loss. But I decided that lapband does not change my anatomy. I see the lapband as an enhancement procedure. It will enhance my sense of fullness. It will enhance my health journey. OK...I'm gonna stop rambling now...

If I reiterated a bunch of stuff that's already been posted, please forgive me. I usually read through all the posts before replying, but this REALLY got to me....especially since I found out today I was APPROVED by my insurance and there is only one thing they are waiting to get back from my surgeon before my surgery is scheduled. I am just so excited and this video was very upsetting to me :girl_hug:

Wow... just.. wow. This video really stirs up emotions for me.

There's clearly so many things wrong with this. Why would a doctor do this for advertising? Why wouldn't he just learn lap-band and push for them both? This girl sounds like a clear canidate to fail on GB. In fact, she mentions her doctor said if you can cheat the band, you'd cheat the GB (paraphrase). And I think that's true. Does not sound like she utilized it properly or had the guidance, or made the effort at it. Why would she with GB? Hell, with GB she is going to stretch her pouch out QUICKLY...at least lap band they could fill her. I'm so confused about this video. This is suppose to make people want to go to a doctor? That advertises like this on youtube? Wow.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people reach desperation point about their weight, have their fears and doubts about surgery (like anyone sensible does!) and go ahead and have it before they were truly ready. You MUST be ready to make life changes and you MUST be ready to make them yourself using the band as a tool.

I think a lot of people want to be ready and go ahead and do it but are just not really ready to change their lives. I can remember how absolutely irreversible that felt, it took me months to make the decision becuase I was just not sure that I really *wanted* to change enough to go through with it. My habits were comforting in a way I couldnt define.

Its because being obese isnt just a physical problem, its emotional and mental too.

So although there comes a point where FFS you just have to get on with the job and do it or not, and that people around you may feel the need to offer some tough love, its just not that simple.

I'd be terrible in counselling obese people becuase I would lose my temper and think that for crying out loud you've had the surgery, now just comply - I think unfortunately I'm a bit like an ex smoker in that looking back now the answers seem so simple and easy to me. Just run 8kms a day, just dont eat so darn much, but that's easy to say after the fact.