Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term supplementation

B12 info

In patients with liver disease, cholesterol and/or phospholipids become deposited on the membranes of circulating red blood cells, leading to larger than normal cells.[1]

Causes of non-megaloblastic macrocytosis
•There may also be folate deficiency due to a poor diet
•Liver disease.

•Serum folate levels are readily available but most laboratories offer red cell folate that is more specific.

It should be remembered that serum B12 is not always an accurate reflection of deficiency at a cellular level. It is perhaps for this reason that some patients become symptomatic if the frequency of their injections is reduced, despite having normal serum B12 levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1570488/

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410469_4

A low serum folate level may indicate only a decrease in folate intake over the preceding few days. [26] A better indicator of tissue folate status is RBC folate concentration, [27] which remains relatively unchanged while a red cell is in the circulation and thus provides an assessment of folate turnover during the 2 or 3 months preceding measurement. Also, low RBC folate levels correlate better with the degree of megaloblastic changes in the bone marrow than do low serum folate levels. When there is coexistent Iron deficiency, liver disease, serum and RBC folate levels may be normal -- and serum B 12 levels may be normal or even elevated -- but tissue Vitamin deficiency can be present. This is only demonstrable via subtle hypersegmentation and/or deoxyuridine suppression test and is subsequently confirmed by response to vitamin therapy. Decreased serum total folate-binding capacity is another test that may indicate hidden folate deficiency.

An elevated MCV is also associated with alcoholism[3] (as are an elevated GGT and a ratio of AST:ALT of 2:1). Vitamin B12 and/or folic acid deficiency has also been associated with macrocytic anemia (high MCV numbers).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!