Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In process of gastric bypass

I am about 2 years post op bypass and would be happy to help in anyway!

Hi Yaya825

What are you afraid of. Describe your concerns and fears and several individuals on the board will try and address the issues as best we can.

Jim

I'd be glad to help in any way I can! There are tons of great folks on this site that would say exactly the same thing! You're in the right place!

I've had all of my pre surgery exam and everything came out normal like endoscopy colonoscopy my blood work etc but still feel very nervous and worried I'm terrified of having complications I don't really have any medical issues thank God but I am battling PCOS I have acid reflex also known as GERD and wanted to have the Gastric Sleeve versus having gastric bypass which is more complicated procedure but found out recently that gastric sleeve would only worsen my GERD have any of you had any complications?? I was following a young lady on Instagram who had her gastric bypass and in Mexico and recently died 2 weeks ago because of complications I guess that's what freaks me out the most and there was another young lady who formed blood clogs in her intestines and had to have half of her large intestines removed ughhh :( I am so close to having my insurance approve my surgery I am actually waiting on my last appointment which would be with the psych my primary doctor already cleared me for surgery he also faxed all my results to my surgeon so I'm pretty much ready to go

I've had all of my pre surgery exam and everything came out normal like endoscopy colonoscopy my blood work etc but still feel very nervous and worried I'm terrified of having complications I don't really have any medical issues thank God but I am battling PCOS I have acid reflex also known as GERD and wanted to have the Gastric Sleeve versus having gastric bypass which is more complicated procedure but found out recently that gastric sleeve would only worsen my GERD have any of you had any complications?? I was following a young lady on Instagram who had her gastric bypass and in Mexico and recently died 2 weeks ago because of complications I guess that's what freaks me out the most and there was another young lady who formed blood clogs in her intestines and had to have half of her large intestines removed ughhh :( I am so close to having my insurance approve my surgery I am actually waiting on my last appointment which would be with the psych my primary doctor already cleared me for surgery he also faxed all my results to my surgeon so I'm pretty much ready to go

Oh may god rest her soul in peace. That was my worst fear as well. But this website really boosted me up. You will hear so many success stories. You dont know the actual detailed story of her death. She must of had other health issues prior to her surgery or not followed instructions correctly. And there are many people here who will talk about the sleeve surgery done in Mexico and has gone wrong and advise u not to go to certain doctors there. You have to put ur faith into ur lord and pray for the best. You must be ur own doctor and really know and understand ur body and please do a lot of research before choosing ur doctor. In my opinion don't always settle for the cheapest. When people make comments of that sort to me and scare me...I think of it like this "id rather die from Trying then to die from obesity the harder way" Browse around this website and u will find lots of groups that will discuss surgeries in mexico. You can't just base ur decision off of one person. If ur not ready...just push back ur date and REALLY think this through until ur anxious to do it. Dont do it with fear, do it with a smile and because u WANT to do it. I thought this through for atleast 8 months before I decided that I want to do this. Just waiting on my insurance to transfer on June 1st and have my first appointment on june 3rd. By the way I have ITP, PCOS, Endometriosis, and Asthma. ive heard thousands of people that has become so much healthier after the sleeve and no more of the severe health issues. Just relax, take a deep breath, and take it one day at a time in making ur decision. Dont rush urself. You should look forward to ur surgery and prepare urself.

Edited by KittyKatt

Thank you so much for the great advice I'm going with gastric bypass and not with the sleeve because it will worsen my Gerd My surgeon worked with DR Oz and made an appearance on his show I did a lot of research on bariatric surgery in General I've been looking into this surgery for about 7 years now and finally came to a point in my life that I knew I could not lose weight on my own I definitely need professional help and I know it's not an easy fix it a life changing experience and life style change I've been on a diet now for 2 weeks eating healthy Portion Control etc I received a clean bill of health from my primary care doctor I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done last week Thursday and that also came out normal but I have been feeling some discomfort still around the belly area

Yaya825

For about a year before my surgery, I had several severe episodes of acid reflux. I had gastric bypass (roux-en-y) and I am one year post-op and have not experience this problem after surgery. In reviewing some of the posts on this blog, it seems common for doctors to recommend a gastric bypass for patients with Gerd, so I think your decision to go this route instead of a sleeve is a good one.

Good luck on your surgery.

Jim

Yaya825

For about a year before my surgery, I had several severe episodes of acid reflux. I had gastric bypass (roux-en-y) and I am one year post-op and have not experience this problem after surgery. In reviewing some of the posts on this blog, it seems common for doctors to recommend a gastric bypass for patients with Gerd, so I think your decision to go this route instead of a sleeve is a good one.

Good luck on your surgery.

Jim

Thanks james for the support ,how did your surgery go? how much weight did you lose?

It is 100% normal to feel nervous. Can complications happen - yes, but there is no way to predict it. If you trust your surgeon and medical team then try not to worry too much. This surgery works and you can have the life you have been dreaming of.

I thought about having the surgery for years as well, and then I had my breaking point. I was done with being overweight. It came to me in the shower when I could no longer wash personal areas on my own. I had a good cry and when I stepped out of the shower I knew surgery was the only option for me. All my nerves and apprehension were gone.

You will have moments where you doubt your decision, but trust me this surgery works and if you follow your doctors advice you can have everything you want. All dreams are possible.

I would suggest you start making a list of what you want to accomplish. Focus on those goals and not the silly number on the scale.

Good luck and remember we are all here for you!

Music 1618

Thank you so much I was just on the phone with a representative from my insurance, and it so happens that this person had wls and so did his niece he and I talked for half hour he gave me the best advise like u all do on this blog I really thank u and everyone else who have helped me with great advise :) well this representative told me to go for it he said it was the best gift he can give himself I feel really great about this "today" lol let's hope I'll feel like this tomorrow because I'm a biggest chicken lol

Thanks james for the support ,how did your surgery go? how much weight did you lose?

Surgery went very well. I am at my one year anniversary mark. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 80 pounds post-op for a total weight loss of 100 pounds. Now I am down to 160 pounds.

Thank you so much for the great advice I'm going with gastric bypass and not with the sleeve because it will worsen my Gerd My surgeon worked with DR Oz and made an appearance on his show I did a lot of research on bariatric surgery in General I've been looking into this surgery for about 7 years now and finally came to a point in my life that I knew I could not lose weight on my own I definitely need professional help and I know it's not an easy fix it a life changing experience and life style change I've been on a diet now for 2 weeks eating healthy Portion Control etc I received a clean bill of health from my primary care doctor I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done last week Thursday and that also came out normal but I have been feeling some discomfort still around the belly area

Yaya who is your surgeon? My surgeon Dr. George Fielding has also appeared on Dr. Oz many many times. He also did surgery on NJ Governor Christie.

Dr Marc Bessler from Columbia Presbyterian I've heard of Dr fielding I have a question for u when you had your psych appointment did the psychiatrist approve you right away? or did you numerous sessions before approval?