Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Stef, they make full-body uhhh I hate to say "girdle" but thats sort of what it is. From your thighs to your shoulders. I was thinking of getting some of those myself, actually!

pippz you are doing GREAT with your weight loss!! Do you think this is why your doc does not want to fill you agian? how much do you have?

thanks! My band is a 10cc band there's 2.something in there now. I'm sure I'll need another fill in a month, but I'm going to do my best until then to work on the "head" hunger issues. I realize now no matter how tight the band is, I can still gain at least some weight back if I'm not careful.

So - I did a daring thing today too. I adopted a dog! It's daring because I'm not allowed dogs in my apartment (even though sooo many people here have them). I worry that I'd get caught and have to find her a new home, but she is sooo beautiful and so calm and sweet. I just love her already. I'm praying that having her will help me and my lazy-bum 7 year old get out more. My daughter refuses to go anywhere lately!

I hope you all have a good weekend. Talk to you soon!

Hi Joeygirl. I like your story,I'll stick to it to. LOL Yep age is a wonderfull thing...NOT. I think the rules should change and it should be easier after 50 afterall we paid our dues. dieting on and off for 40 years should be worth something. Here's hoping for restriction.

Good Luck, Sheila

Hi Everyone, Went for my 6th fill on Friday and had a bit of a discussion with the "fill tech". I was told there was 2.7cc's in a 4cc band.

I told her that I wasn't feeling any restriction at all, that I could eat everything in sight and then some. I told her the only thing that keeps me from eating is me!

She told me I wasn't working hard enough at losing weight, that I wasn't exercising enough and that I wasn't committed to losing weight. She also said that I wanted the band to do everything for me. She weighs about 3 pounds!

I got really angry. I was still ticked off from the "family feud" on Wednesday!

I told her to fill the band all the way. I was paying out of pocket for these visits and if she didn't hear what a B_t__h she was sounding like then she was the one with the problem. I also said I better not even feel a pinch. Meanwhile, I'm on my cell phone calling the surgeon's office and asking his PA to come down to the exam room where I am. He could hear I was angry.

So now I'm laying on the exam table (and I must admit she did a great job of getting the needle in without much pain) when I started thinking..... Hmmmm, maybe I don't have a 4cc band, maybe it's a 10cc band......??

I must have said that out loud because she started snickering and said you really are looking for something to blame. I really wanted to kick her in the face.

With every ounce of self control I own, I asked the tech to PLEASE check the O.R. note in my chart to make sure I had a 4cc band before she took the needle out. She refused, I grabbed the syringe still stuck in my belly and said "CHECK THE DAMN CHART" firmly but quietly.

Did I know the P.A. was standing behind the curtain listening to all this? Noooo!!!

Ok, so now I see the P.A. as he walks in the room and picks up my chart, starts flipping through the reports and suddenly stops, looks at me like someone had a gun to his head and announces "SHE DOES HAVE A VG BAND."

Meanwhile, I'm hanging on to the syringe, trying to grab the chart, yelling I WANT TO READ THAT REPORT GIMME THAT CHART. He did and I did.

Yes folks, I do have a 10cc band. I looked that tech square in the eye and said put 5cc's in that band and don't argue with me. She had to restick me because she was only using a 3cc syringe.

The P.A. was apologizing like crazy.

Now here's the best part. There is a younger woman who had surgery the same day I did and it just so happened her appointment was after mine. We got to talking in the waiting room before seeing the tech and we were both commiserating on how we can still eat everything.

After the fill, I went up to her in the waiting room and told her what had happened. I told her to make sure the tech checks her O.R. report and I gave her my phone number. She called me as I was driving home and little techie messed her band up too. She also has a VG band.

The doctor called me at home later that evening and I won't have to pay for any future fill visits. Oh YEAH! I also won't be seeing that tech again, who by the way, never uttered another word during the rest of that visit.

And THE FAT LADY IS SMILING AND HAPPY CAUSE SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN! I'm not just another pretty face you know!

Annnnd, I think I am feeling some restriction now. It's not a bad feeling, I just feel OK after eating.

The moral of this story is: Read your O.R. report!

Love, Me!

OK... does anyone get full quickly (1/2 - 1 cup food) but then feel like they are STARVING within 1-2 hours? I hate it! I'm so sick of being hungry! And its real hunger too, like, my stomach is growling and even occasionally cramping.

Suzzie, I was like that all the time. I gave it a week or 2 at the most and called for a fill. I have a book that states if you don't do that then you are wasting time and the reason for the band. Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't wait so long in between fills.

Wow Waters!!1 Thats amazing!!! I'm glad you have the nerve to speak up and demand to see your report and tell them off! I don't think I would be able to do that!!! I'm so happy that you got it all figured out and that you got a GOOD fill!! I have a 10cc and got 4cc on my first fill, which did nothing for me. I have 6cc now, and I'm feeling good.

Anyway, you're awesome... and one of my newest heroes!!

Suzzie, I was like that all the time. I gave it a week or 2 at the most and called for a fill. I have a book that states if you don't do that then you are wasting time and the reason for the band. Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't wait so long in between fills.

My surgeons office only does fills every FOUR weeks. My insurence pays for it, so I don't mid too much. I'm due for a fill this coming Friday, so we'll see what that does for me!!

Waters - WAY TO GO! I am glad you stood up for yourself. Why in the HE## is that kind of person working with Bariatric Surgery patients??

Suzzie - I am like that also, depending on the time of the month for me. I have been better with this last fill, until this week. I am scheduled for a fill on Monday, I thought I didn't need anything, but after the past couple of days, I am thinking I need a little more.

Go Waters!!!! Goodonya for sticking up for yourself!

BTW, that would be yet another reason I won't be allowing anyone near my belly or my band other than the PA or the surgeon who put it in. I do understand the "fill tech" (good name choice, BTW) can easily be trained to do fills, it's not a complicated process from what I gather. The problem comes when someone who is not a licensed provider is the one choosing how to fill you and how to judge what to put in. I certainly cannot guarantee that a PA or RN or MD would have looked at the chart to see what size band you have before sticking you, but one would hope they would have.

Guess that's another reason to go for fills with fluoro. But geez the cost difference can be staggering.

Glad you got it worked out, and very glad you won't be paying for more fills!

Suzzzie: Yep, that's the way I am, or rather, that's the way I was. It seems in the last week or so I'm feeling a bit more restricted. I dont' know if I'm getting a handle on my head hunger or something else is going on. Still haven't gotten a fill yet and it really does seem like I'm more satisfied on less. Weird, huh?

WATERS:whoo:way to go!!! Like Suzzie, I am not sure how hard I could push, however after my first fill, I really questioned how much she really put in, I thought she just told me 5cc to satisfy me. But my dh said, " why would she do that?" from your story, there are some people!!!!

I did ask the NP on my next check up and she laughed, and opened the folder and said, it was 5cc and not a FAKE one! She is very nice, so I did not ask to see the folder?

You never said then how much your fill ended up to be? I have 5.75cc in my 10 cc band, not much restriction yet. BUT as someone said, the amount does not matter, for we are all different.

Pippz cool about the dog adoption! What did you get? We adopted a mutt from a rescue 2 years ago, Ace. He is a mix, we are not sure of what, Nordegion(cant spell) ridgback, pit, huskey ( for he has one blue eye, one brown!). He is very good doggie, we did however go through some training time, he was 6 mths when we got him. we also have a 6 year old golden retreiver, Maddy! Good luck with him or her?

experiment! I tried a couple of bites of a toasted bagel this morning with cream cheese, it went down with NO PROBLEMS! I could not beleive it. I have not had bread since I tried after surgery and had problems. I can have crisp pizza and wraps, but no sandwhich type or burger/hot dog roll. So I thought why not and try. To be honest I was hoping to slime or pbing so I could actually feel the band working! NOPE. :)

I will keep on it, I know, Don't give up!!

Wow Waters!!1 Thats amazing!!! I'm glad you have the nerve to speak up and demand to see your report and tell them off! I don't think I would be able to do that!!! I'm so happy that you got it all figured out and that you got a GOOD fill!! I have a 10cc and got 4cc on my first fill, which did nothing for me. I have 6cc now, and I'm feeling good.

Anyway, you're awesome... and one of my newest heroes!!

Suzzie, You make me laugh! Thanks! I was very upset and I think it was that and anger which goaded me into getting some answers. I have 5cc in there now and think at times I am feeling something like a little fullness in my chest but I will be going back

and what's that you say Suzzzie? 6cc feels pretty good?

OK, I will be getting 6! Thank You!

I have 7.6 cc in my 10 cc band now. Water went down fine all day yesterday but was taking its sweet time last night. I'm going to stick to liquids for a few days.