Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Okay everyone, this is day 5 postop for me, and I'm still feeling restricted. Is anyone else feeling this way this far after surgery? I can't tell with the way I feel if I'm hungry or still full. Anyone have any suggestions. I kind of just hurt all the time....I know it's not gas. I haven't had gas pains since day 2. I'm still in the liquid phase and only able to drink about 1/8 cup of anything. I'm hoping this gets better when I can go to mushies on Thursday. I'm scared of stretching my pouch since I'm not sure what the pain is for....hunger or fullness. I still can't sleep on my sides or stomach either. Help, I'm kind of out of ideas.

I was just coming on to make a post about not being sure about "where I'm at", too. I was banded the day after you. I'm fighting terrible "head hunger" and sometimes real hunger. Bouillion helps, I've got a FANTASTIC protien drink (I'm incredibly picky, too), and the Protein helps. I'm drinking plenty of liquids like Water, but mostly Crystal light. I have ZERO restriction that I can tell, which makes me feel that I could eat anything safely. Of course, I know better and I'm behaving...but I cannot wait to scramble an egg on Friday morning! This is starting to bug me!

I know I'm not helping a lot, but maybe it helps a little to know that this is probably just the "what the heck am I doing" phase. I bet we just need to figure our bands out. I HOPE!

Veterans...what say you?:help:

I am up for surgery on Friday! If any one is interested, I will be doing a Twitter starting today about my lapband experience, from my feelings over the next two days, all the way up to sitting in the surgery center and after I wake up. I will be updating from the cellphone as long as I feel able.

Twitter / Aperil

I am doing this for myself, but also for anyone who is curious about the immediate experience. Hope you will join me.

GOOD LUCK to today's banders.

I now 14 days away and getting a bit nervous. I decided yesterday to rearrange the living funiture so I can bring up my recumbant (sp) bike up from the den. (I won't use it down there. Too lonely LOL). I'm hoping I can get my daughter over this weekend to help bring it up as it's a heavy son-of-a------.

Gotta get ready for work.

Okay everyone, this is day 5 postop for me, and I'm still feeling restricted. Is anyone else feeling this way this far after surgery?

I'm only 2 days ahead of you. I thought I felt hunger once but I was wrong- it was gas. I'm not hungry at all and still a bit tender. I wouldn't want to eat anything right now. It just doesn't feel settled down there. However, I'm not very active yet. Maybe that's why. Also, I think I do have some 'restriction' if that's even possible. I can't tolerate anything but Water until several hours after waking and I have to drink slowly. I'm used to eating a huge Breakfast, so it's very strange. I still have another week of liquids and I'm not even dreading it at this point. It's still better than the pre-op diet (sorry pre-oppers). Maybe this will change in a few days.

Insubordination: I work 28 days on 28 days off. My doc said everything should be ok to go back to work with my 28 days of rest. He said worst case he will put me on light duty. I really don't do all that much hard work. I just drive the boat and do alot of paper work for 6 hours on 6 hours off for 28 days.

Suzzzie: I was wondering if you ever talked to your nurse about pictures or a video. I just e-mailed my nurse. I hope they don't think I am some kind of weirdo.

I got to say I am really kicking butt on my pre op diet. I am down alot of weight. Much more than I planned, My cal count is down to 650-800 and I have been working out alot. I know my insurance approved me for the band but they also said I must have a BMI over 40 and now it's down to 38.5. I asked my nurse and she told me not to worry, but I still worry. Has anyone heard of someones provider not covering after being approved?

No I haven't asked. I think I'll take my camera and see if they'll take a few pictures... if not then I guess my friend that is taking me can just sit in the waiting area and take pictures of himself. haha.

And I wouldn't worry about the BMI thing. You were over 40 when they approved you. Its not your fault an all liquid diet has made you go below. Lol.

Hi, all! Best of luck to today's banders.

Sorry I haven't written in a while...things have been crazy around my house. DH is taking a promotion, but in doing so he's working an evening shift this week to train in a new facility...so I get to leave for work early in the morning, say bye to my DD and DS and work until 4:30 then head to pick them up from my mom's. By the time I get them home it's nearly 6:00 and I start their bedtime routines at 7 and in bed by 8.

I was about to give up this week and either cancel or reschedule my appointment. DH can't get off Friday and he's working Sat. and Sun. too. My mom's house is full this weekend (was going to stay w/her for a few days post op since I can't lift my babies) with my nieces and brother. I was really feeling down. BUT I've figured something out..with the help of a good friend/coworker/scrapbooking buddy of mine. My mom will pick up the kids at my house Friday morning and take them with her. DH will drop me off at surgery center and then go to work...hopefully will spend a few minutes with me there. My Friend will come for the surgery and will go to a nearby Panera bread to work (we work on a newspaper website group...Go KC Star!!! www.kansascity.com | Front Page) and will leave her cell number with the nurses for when I'm out and can have family/visitors. When I'm ready to go home, she'll drive me the 50 minutes to my mom's house. She's so wonderful!!! Suzzzie...we've got 2 more days!!!!!!!! I'm so ready!

Captain Dan...I wouldn't think it would be a problem...but just in case, I agree with insubordination...put a couple rolls of quarters in your pockets. Not to scare you...but I saw an episode on the new Bariatric show (can't remember the name...but it's the one we've all been talking about) and one woman's insurance revoked because she was doing so well and the doctor was able to convince them to keep her, but I think she had to go on a different plan. But I've never heard of that anywhere else....

I'm going to go fix a granny smith smoothie before I go to work. Tomorrow's my clear liquid day...and I'm still planning on working. I told my General Manager..."I may be a little cranky...but I'll be here."

Marlyn I am not sure what the feeling is. Have you talked with your doctor or a nurse at their office? Maybe they can help?Insub I agree with both of you about the hunger vs full. I am not sure I feel hunger yet. I know that sounds weird. I will find out more today at my follow up visit.

Toni I used my Bullet last night, I will say this is my first experience with protien powder, boy does it make it thick!! I guess the ideal would be using it in a shake. Or something you are not whipping? just stirring it in.

ticker...ah, what can I say. I can't even delete it and start over. I wrote to the web manager of this site and I will keep trying. I did lose more weight!!! But for now, it wil say 10lbs, not 15!!!

Dan wow your job sounds cool. Your weight loss too! I was banded June 7, 6 days out. wow it is going fast, and exciting. Hang on for the ride!! I to was worried about my BMI because I started at 35, then went up which was crazy on my part. But the nurse practitioner and the psychologist both said, you can lose. I was worried to that my insurance would turn around and say, no. But they submit your numbers for approval based on the start!! So you should be fine.

Jeri welcome!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO OUR SMALL GROUP TODAY.... HAVE WE HEARD FROM THE GROUPS OF YESTERDAY AND MONDAY??? WOW, WHAT A GROUP.

BECKIE, I AM GLAD YOU DID NOT CANCEL!!! YOU HAVE COME A LONG WAY! IT WILL ALL WORK OUT. MY GRANDAUGHTER, 18 MONTHS CAME OVER LAST NIGHT, FIRST TIME SINCE MY SURGERY. SHE RAN TO ME. I SAT DOWN AND THEN PICKER HER UP TO MY KNEE. PROBABLY STILL A NO NO, BUT I DID NOT WHIP HER UP LIKE I WOULD BEFORE! OR I HAD MY DH PUT HER ON MY LAP OR IN MY ARMS....FUNNY, WE ADJUST TOO.

FRIENDS ALWAYS PREVAIL....

Just sitting at the computer enjoying my Double chocolate Protein Shake. MMGood! They really aren't too bad, I use whey Protein, milk, chocolate baking powder, 2 packets splenda, add a tablesoon of cottage cheese and a heaping teaspoon of Peanut Butter -- then blend with ice.

I go for my preop this morning-- have had a really bad cough for the last three days- I hate summer colds.. Prey that it does not mess up my surgery date because if I don't get it done next week I cannot fit it into my schedule until after the forst of the year.

Everyone wh has already gotten banded are doing so great===I cannot wait to join the banded.

Janine, thanks! Yes, friends do come through. Glad to hear about your granddaughter...she's just about 3 months younger than my DS, Robbie. He's so used to mommy picking him up and holding him. My DD, Jewellee, is 3 and she gets it in her head that when she wants someone to hold her only that person can do it...actually it's any task, only the one certain person can do that task....we'll work it out. I love them...and I want to get healthy for them. I just decided yesterday that I was going to make it work, even if I had to stay over at the center and have another friend pick me up Saturday morning. DH's work is one thing...my life is another.

Good morning all,

I've been reading the posts during the last two weeks and it is wonderful to know that there are hundreds of people out there who are willing to put their experiences and thoughts on the line. You are all appreciated!

:kiss

I'm about to get in the car on my way to the hospital. I'm not sure I was this nervous when I got in the car to have my baby! Both events are life altering. Now that I think about it, I should be thinking of them as similar. This time I'm hoping for a healthy, happy me.

Cheers!!

ML

marlynncreel I got banded the same day you did! I'm definitely feeling "restricted"....I'm sure it has a lot to do with what size of band they put on us in the first place. My doctor didn't put the brand new one on because he said he would "slip" around?! He put the small generation 5 on? I was pretty hazy when I heard all of this so I'll be double-checking my appt next week!

Anyway.....the only way I can describe it is.....too much (literally 1/4 cup or less) seems too heavy on my stomach! Drinking like a fish though!? Let me know how you are doing!

Hi Junies!

I'm 5 days out and feeling better than a few days ago. I still have some gas pains, but it's not too bad. My throat has been KILLING me since the surgery -- the anesthesia tubes must have really irritated me. Around 2pm yesterday I suddenly felt like I could barely swallow or breathe. I called my surgeon and he said that there wasn't anything wrong with the band and that it was irritation from the tubes. He suggested I go to the ER. HELL NO! Unless I'm having a heart attack or there is a bone sticking out of my body, I am not sitting in the ER for 8 hours. I ended up going to my MD's office -- she was awesome (although her staff gave me a hard time for just showing up without an appointment). After taking a chest X-Ray and looking at my throat, she said that my throat was so swollen from irritation that there were blisters in my throat! She gave me an Rx for steroids and I went home. Feeling better today, although not 100%. I'm just glad it wasn't pneumonia or something worse.

I hope everyone here is doing well with their pre-ops and post-ops. I'm finally on to full liquids. Not much more exciting than the Clear Liquids, but at least I'm getting more Protein in.

I have been having the WEIRDEST cravings -- does anyone else feel this way? For example, I have been craving doughnuts and I never eat doughnuts -- I've probably had 10 doughnuts in my entire life. And yesterday, I would have given my left arm for buttered toast. Again, I can't remember the last time I had buttered toast -- when I was 9 years old? Of course, I have also been craving cheese and that is something that I've eaten every single day of my life, so not all the cravings are irrational :)