Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Hello June Bugs! GOOD LUCK to all the June 6th banding people!

I am on day 3 of my preop diet. I finally made contact with my dietician who says I'm on the right track if I'm having my 2 shakes and 1 Lean Cuisine a day. The goal is 700 calories or less. I told her I didn't like it one bit! I actually surprised myself when I said that in a very whiny voice. lol

Anyone else suffering on a preop diet? LOL

:hungry:

I started preop diet today--- famished---I was a little B**chy at work too! Hope that gets better We cando this though---If Ican't do this for one day how do Ithink I can do this the rest of my life.

My appt with md went great! I'm officially on full liquids now! (I blended cream of potato Soup to get the lumps out and am drinking it right now... heaven... just heaven...) Anyway, I start on some mushies on Monday!!!!! Scrambled eggs, grits, oatmeal, etc. I can't wait! I feel the liquids going through the band cause I feel a tightness for just a second, so I can't imagine what something with texture is going to feel like!!! Anyway, I've been sipping away without any nausea at all, even on clears. I haven't been chugging or anything, but my doc said you can't stretch the pouch on liquids cause they go right through. So I drink (clears) freely. Not one bit of nausea yet!

Future bandsters have no fear.... this is a cakewalk!! :(

Toni and MM,

Does your dietician require you to sip liquids slowly--30 minutes for 4 ounces? I called ours today to ask at what point I could sip a little faster, and she said not for quite a while. She said it avoids nausea.

I'm a little concerned that I cannot feel my port--and I've been feeling for it since the day of surgery.

My surgeon set the post-op requirements. I'm drinking as I feel like it, but I've been a big Water drinker in the past...I'd say I easily get in about 8 oz per half hour. Venturing from sips to bigger sips now.

I can't feel my port either. My surgeon said I had a thicker skin wall than he anticipated, therefore I'd have to have fills under fluro if he can't feel it under my thick lard (erm, I mean skin).

I am REALLY sick of this friggin liquid diet! My family is down there eating pizza! I just finished my yummy water! mmmm! NOT! I am in SUCH a bad mood...I know this will pass, but it sure is passing s-l-o-w-l-y!!!!

MM, I feel like I am in the same boat as you. I am so hungry for something else other than Water and CIB. My husband cooked kielbasa tonight and it smelled so good. Also some one bbqing in my neighborhood and that drove me a little crazy. You were banded before me, I don't think I will last as long as you have. I am going nuts with out eating.

Well, I have to be at the hospital at 8:30 in the morning for surgery and I'm getting the new Advanced Platform Band! HOORAY!:clap2: And until yesterday, I didn't even know it existed! LOL

Anyone else being banded tomorrow?

Anyone else from Northeast Texas?texas.gif (I'm in the Mid-Cities/HEB area on the Ft. Worth line.)

I hope all here are doing well and continue to do well!

Take care, Stef

I hope our June 7 bandits are doing well. June 8 are just about there too. Although there are too many people to address individually, I am thinking of you all and reading your posts with interest.

The description below is for soon-to-be-banded in case they are interested in what exactly happened in (an Australian) hospital.

*Checked in at the hospital and paid. They took me up to a bed where I dressed in a gown, injected an anti-coagulant into my leg and put some surgical stockings on. They also measured my bp, temp etc. and checked my stomach for any lesions.

*Waited a couple of hours (2nd off rank) and was wheeled down to theatre. The

anesthetist explained about meds post-op and explained what he was going to do. At this point, right before the op, I needed to go to the toilet again (I had my period). They were going to bring me a bedpan but I pursuaded them to let me walk.

*Upon returning, I was wheeled next to the operating table and slid on. It looked a little small but had some attachments for arms to spread out. I can't even remember going under. All I know is that they let you keep your gown on while you are conscious. In fact, my 'modesty' was protected right throughout my hospital stay. No bedpans, no getting undressed in front of people, was even allowed to put in my own suppository (ew!)

*It only seemed like a moment until I woke up from surgery. I was cranky and kept telling them how much it hurt. They gave me some pain killers. I was wheeled to my room and got a call from my mother. I wasn't quite myself yet and kept telling her that it really hurt a lot. When she called a few hours later, I was fine.

*I slept for a few hours I guess and then changed into my pyjamas. It retrospect, I should've brought a nightie as I had a leg massaging machine attached to me and it was awkward to put the pyjama pants over the top of it.

*I was nil-by-mouth. Dang I was thirsty, though the IV drip helped. Nurses came throughout the night to adjust IV, monitor vitals etc.

*I had to press the buzzer for the nurse everytime I went to the toilet. She unhooked my leg massagers and helped me get up.

*Went to the toilet by myself and changed underwear/brushed teeth. I may have sneaked a tiny bit of Water. Tip: don't drop/rest anything on the floor, it's too hard to pick it up again.

*Spent the night in a room with excessively noisy/sick/dying patients. Wasn't ideal but I felt fortunate that I wasn't too bad.

*In the morning, was allowed to drink Water and juice. They tried to make me eat jelly too but i rejected it as am vegetarian.

*Got another anti-coagulant. Saw the doctor, got instructions and prescriptions, my mother drove me home. Didn't get a barium swallow to check the band's position.

*Now am at home, am able to do everything I need to (I live alone) but pain meds are important.

I'm still in a bit of pain post-banding (it's been about 48 hours). It was hard to sleep in bed last night and I woke up at 4am needing pain meds. I know I just have to wait it out. I haven't felt like coffee or anything other than water, though I'm forcing myself to have vegetable juice mixed with pea Protein powder and a liquid Vitamin.

Anyway, everyone's experience will be different from mine. Just wanted to give specifics for the curious.

Toni and MM,

Does your dietician require you to sip liquids slowly--30 minutes for 4 ounces? I called ours today to ask at what point I could sip a little faster, and she said not for quite a while. She said it avoids nausea.

I'm a little concerned that I cannot feel my port--and I've been feeling for it since the day of surgery.

Hi Serena!!!

I don't (have to) sip liquids slowly, I think I'm over that hump.

I was shocked that I could feel my port. Again, ewwwwwww. Don't worry, they'll find it with flora if not by feel.

Cheers,

Toni

Congrats on a successful banding Insub! I thought those boot massagers were so cool!

Best Wishes tomorrow brokergirl, <O:p</O:pRashad, Lucy, & stefanie42467.

You'll do GREAT! Please post when you can from the other side. :)

----Toni

Toni...and anyone else already banded...

Are you having a lot of pain at your diaphragm after drinking? For instance. I had a cup of Soup tonight. It was creamy but I know it went right through cause I didn't have any nausea or vomiting... seemed to go down just fine. Afterwards, however, I felt a lot of pressure in my chest. Seemed to last forever and was very uncomfortable. Finally I got up and walked and, well, had a big ole belch. Sorry... Anyway, I feel much better after that. But it seems I feel like I have to belch a lot, but can't. Anybody else dealing with this? Think part of it is still the gas from surgery? It scares me into thinking I'm stretching my pouch cause I'm hurting. But I know that can't be cause it's just full liquids (and the same happens with clear sometimes too). I'm just paranoid about screwing this thing up I guess....

I'm in bandland.

Things are going ok, vicodin is my new best friend. Didn't use it yesterday and couldn't sleep at all.

I have 5 incisions, the longest about an inch, I guess that's the port incision. The most botherson part is the ball they attached to me, it is working my last nerve.

Well, I just wanted to update everyone. Good luck to the next batch, I think the meds are starting to kick in now.

night night

What ball??? Like a JP drain? Why do you have that?!?

Hunter! I never got "Rounda" before. I don't think I would have liked it much either, though it pretty much fits me now. I think my pre surgery pictures are enough to make me a good bandster. They are gawd-awful. I don't think I will *ever share the underwear ones. Ughhh-bleech!

Hey Bigbaby, we got lots in common. I'm down from 267.5 to 263.0 today. I hope to be down to 250 by surgery date. How's your diet going?

I just took my pre-op ("before") pics yesterday - they are AWFUL!!! Ack!! It'll be at least a year before I share those with anyone! Hahaa!

How is everyone that's waiting to be banded doing on their Pre-Op diets?

How are the banded feeling today? It has been exactly a week for me and I am getting really active now..... just keeps getting better. I even ate in a restaurant!!!!!

Here's the kicker: I don't know HOW I am going to learn NOT to drink while eating and not drinking before or after the meal. Anyone else worried or concerned about this behavior mod?

Thanks,

Toni

I am sooooo worried about the not drinking with meals thing. I'd venture to say that is the only real worry I have!! I've always been a big drinker with meals (not alcohol!). Typically at resturants I gauge how much I tip the waitstaff based on how many refills I get! Lol. How sad...

Wheeee...this is my first post here! I am on a fast track and will be banded next Friday, the 15th. I went to my seminar on Tuesday morning and had all my pre-ops done today. The pre-op diet starts tomorrow; I'm on my way.

I am thrilled beyond words! Good luck to everyone!

FYI Hi! My surgery date is June 18 not 19. Anyone else on just liquid for their pre-op. This is really hard. I'm going to do this and take it one day at a time. Anyone have a helpful hints on getting through this part of the process??

Wheeee...this is my first post here! I am on a fast track and will be banded next Friday, the 15th. I went to my seminar on Tuesday morning and had all my pre-ops done today. The pre-op diet starts tomorrow; I'm on my way.

I am thrilled beyond words! Good luck to everyone!

Welcome Kland!! We're being banded on the same day!! Its sooo close now!!

Congrats on a successful banding Insub! I thought those boot massagers were so cool!

Best Wishes tomorrow brokergirl, <O:p</O:pRashad, Lucy, & stefanie42467.

You'll do GREAT! Please post when you can from the other side. :)

----Toni

Thank you, Toni! Thank you everyone for your well wishes! See you on the losing side! :clap2:

Now it's bedtime! G'nite, y'all! :notagree

I'm home from my surgery & I am so uncomfortable from the gas bubbles. Everything went good. I have 5 incisions & when I got out of the shower one of them started bleeding so I put a bandaid on it. Now I am thinking that was a bad idea.