Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Really Start Over?

I was banded in May of 2007. I did great, a model bander. I lost over 80 lbs in the first two years. Well, over a three years ago I experienced very bad acid reflux. I am talking VERY BAD acid reflux. Wake you up at night, choaking, spitting up fire. If any of you have had this you know what I am talking about. Doc put me on acid meds and helped somewhat, but not for long. So doc did an unfill and I was better, and after a while we tried to add more back. The acid came back, back on meds, did not help. We went round and round with this for over two years. I just could not do it any more. So I went in for a chek up and they did an upper GI. The band was fine, no slips. Doc said that is some case patients just cannot tolerate a fill. So it was decided to do a total unfill and let stuff calm down and I have now been unfilled for over a year. As you can guess, I have gained about 60lbs of my weight back. I am so sick because of it. My Doc has since retired, but he does have a partner with his practice. I have made an appointment whith him. I am hoping for a redo. I dont know what he will recommend. Anyone have some words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Laura

Did they say anything about a hernia? Just curious because before I was even banded I had major acid reflux from a hernia. Now I still have it and it's even worse if I eat anything that aggrivates it. I take Prilosec daily to control it.

rigonj,

I did have a hernia that was repaired during my lapband surgery. I take Prilosec daily also, helped some but if I have a fill I still have acid.

I had the exact same thing, even my doc retired. It was so bad the stuff was coming up in the middle of the night thru my nose and mouth. I had the fill thaken out for 6 months and slowly put back in. I mild acid reflux at night. By chance do you have sleep apena?

Paula

Paula,

Oh my yes can I relate, the stuff was coming out of my nose, not fun at all. No I do not have sleep apena.

So how has it been since they have slowly put your fill back in. Had you gained some of your weight back? Have you been able to get back on plan. For I have went nuts, eating hamburgers, pizza, bread etc. all of the non band food that I am so addicted to. With the band I just could not eat them. After a few years it became the norm, and I just accepted it. But being unfilled I have went crazy. God help me, yes I know it is my fault. But when I had the band filled it was a tool that I use and it worked for me. Without it I am out of control. I have no willpower. I so hope that I am able to get a fill and keep it.

I haven't been banded yet, but this currently happens to me if I have something Tomato based for dinner, or ice cream for dessert. The only thing I find that helps it is drinking baking soda mixed with Water. Not the best tasting thing, but it works.

And there's nothing worse than being woken up in the middle of the night choking on stomach acid. Ugh!

Laura:
I hate to admit it but yes, I have gained some weight back; about 15lbs. I also have no willpower. It's like, Okay I can eat this ice cream and be good tomorrow. The reason I asked about sleep apena is because I have that and when I wear my mask at night I do not have the acid reflex. My biggest problem now is my lack of willpower

I was banded in May of 2007. I did great, a model bander. I lost over 80 lbs in the first two years. Well, over a three years ago I experienced very bad acid reflux. I am talking VERY BAD acid reflux. Wake you up at night, choaking, spitting up fire. If any of you have had this you know what I am talking about. Doc put me on acid meds and helped somewhat, but not for long. So doc did an unfill and I was better, and after a while we tried to add more back. The acid came back, back on meds, did not help. We went round and round with this for over two years. I just could not do it any more. So I went in for a chek up and they did an upper GI. The band was fine, no slips. Doc said that is some case patients just cannot tolerate a fill. So it was decided to do a total unfill and let stuff calm down and I have now been unfilled for over a year. As you can guess, I have gained about 60lbs of my weight back. I am so sick because of it. My Doc has since retired, but he does have a partner with his practice. I have made an appointment whith him. I am hoping for a redo. I dont know what he will recommend. Anyone have some words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Laura

Laura... have you considered having a gastric sleeve done?... do you have health issues , like diabetes etc ?.. maybe a sleeve is the best way for you to go. I had a very similar situation happen to me. I developed a major inflammation and was vomiting all the time. sitting up in bed to sleep because it was that bad.I couldnt even keep Water down.( trip to emergancy to have drip to hydrate) i ended up having saline taken out and ive gained about 7 pounds in a few weeks. im due to go back next wednesday and have a fill. i dont know how i will react to that. One thing we found, last week i had ultra sound for another issue and they found gall stones... very interesting. Now im wondering if it was in fact a gall stone attack i had. or if that made things worse?... anyway, let us know how you go.. I will be interested to know . hugs for you .. i know how you feel.

So, I didnt mention that during the year of unfill, and maybe a good reason I was unfille was due to some health issues I was having at the time also. I was having sever pantic attacks, anxiety and depression. I had terrible stomach pain, body aches, joints hurts, not to mention continues weight gain. Went to four diffrent doctors trying to find out what was wrong, Gino, Psychiatrist, Grastro and GP. After being put on a long list of pills for all of the symtoms I just fell so bad, it was all I could do to get out of bed. I felt I was loosing my everloving mind. Blood work was done and "NOTHING" was found out of the normal ranges. I had the flu twice, two diffrent strans, pnemonia, was hospitalized for what they thought was cdiff. Had an upper and lower GI. Bowls were enlarged from the antibotics. Finally my GP noticed that my pulse was alway slightly elevated. He did some diffrent test on my blood work and it came back that I had hoshimoto thyroid. I had scans and more test, and was sent to an Endocrinoigist. Long story short, had surgery to remove my thyriod in Feb, they found cancer. I am lucky, they did remove all, along with my thyroid.

So here I now sit, with my band empty, almost backt o the weight I was 7 years ago when I got it. I guess I am wanting to know..... Can I start this over, get my band refilled, fight the thyroid hormone replacement war and maybe loose weight?

Thanks for letting me rant

Laura

So, I didnt mention that during the year of unfill, and maybe a good reason I was unfille was due to some health issues I was having at the time also. I was having sever pantic attacks, anxiety and depression. I had terrible stomach pain, body aches, joints hurts, not to mention continues weight gain. Went to four diffrent doctors trying to find out what was wrong, Gino, Psychiatrist, Grastro and GP. After being put on a long list of pills for all of the symtoms I just fell so bad, it was all I could do to get out of bed. I felt I was loosing my everloving mind. Blood work was done and "NOTHING" was found out of the normal ranges. I had the flu twice, two diffrent strans, pnemonia, was hospitalized for what they thought was cdiff. Had an upper and lower GI. Bowls were enlarged from the antibotics. Finally my GP noticed that my pulse was alway slightly elevated. He did some diffrent test on my blood work and it came back that I had hoshimoto thyroid. I had scans and more test, and was sent to an Endocrinoigist. Long story short, had surgery to remove my thyriod in Feb, they found cancer. I am lucky, they did remove all, along with my thyroid.

So here I now sit, with my band empty, almost backt o the weight I was 7 years ago when I got it. I guess I am wanting to know..... Can I start this over, get my band refilled, fight the thyroid hormone replacement war and maybe loose weight?

Thanks for letting me rant

Laura

yes, i believe you can start over. I feel for you so much. I have the name of a group that will help you no end regarding the thyroid hormone replacement war... if you want it, please contact me ... chestermanjudith318@gmail.com

Hi

I also suffer with reflux, and know what you mean, l have to not eat to late, avoid certain foods ,l brought one of those v pillows which has been very helpful keeps my head up, try it,

Xx

re: "I have no willpower. I so hope that I am able to get a fill and keep it."

for me, I call this "won't power" as I have better control over "won't" than "will".....

and I had to go way underfilled as I would throw up daily.

Yes I gained nearly 25 # back, and have slowly reestablished my own sense of "!WON'T!"....

This week I dropped my ongoing affair with cheese. Not so hard to do. So far.

But WAY too many calories. And yes, we ARE from the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese.

We have to invent ways that work, to keep us active & healthy.

I'm getting more physically active every day, regardless of the creaks & clunks from the rest of my body.

I grow into eating more solid Protein & less crap...yes, we all know what it is.

You can do this.

Do ONE thing each day we know is healthy. That's the route I'm taking to The Way Back!

Edited by Jack

Hi

I also suffer with reflux, and know what you mean, l have to not eat to late, avoid certain foods ,l brought one of those v pillows which has been very helpful keeps my head up, try it,

Xx

i suffer with reflux as well. Ive just had a refill and the reflux is back but not as bed. where did you get that v pillow from ? is it a special v pillow or just an ordinary one? it sounds like you need to sleep with your chest elevated some? have you tried donna tabs or buscupan ?... those tabs are really good for short term management, and bought over the counter. If you cant access these, bi carb of soda is good as well.

good luck.