Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled to get sleeved in June. I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with transferral of additiction? I've heard of people turning to drugs and alcohol to replace the food. What healthy coping strategies has anyone found to deal with day to day life when the food can no longer be your comfort?

I'm scheduled to get sleeved in June. I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with transferral of additiction? I've heard of people turning to drugs and alcohol to replace the food. What healthy coping strategies has anyone found to deal with day to day life when the food can no longer be your comfort?

I've seen people do this and you have to really get counseling and try and find new ways to cope with life. I'm worried about this too now hat you mention it! I have a super high stress job and easy access to drugs.....guess I better get down to the bottom of this before I think of turning to another substance.

Maybe you might see some addiction expert if you are sincerely worried about this. Pretty much I think it is a personal choice if you want to turn to drugs or alcohol, and I say this because of a pretty bad history of drugs and alcohol in my immediate family. I say this with utmost sincerity. Best wishes and God Bless.

This is a problem with anyone who gives up an addiction... There are several people on here that have given up alcohol and food addictions at the same time.

The first part of the plan is to admit that you have a food addiction. That you are a food addict. That you use it as your coping mechanism in life.

If you past 50 years old the chances of you taking on another addiction is about 30%.....

Take the time to find out what caused the addiction in the first place and turn it around. Instead of living to eat. Eat to live...I now spend my hard earned money on quality and not junkie foods. I buy the very best of everything for me and mine because we are worth it....Next I read every label and spend a long time enjoying shopping now instead of rushing through, grabbing something quick and shoving it down. If I can't pronounce it I don't eat it...lol

I look for different recipes and have started to try new foods.

There are other things you can do as well. Like write down every day 5 nice things that happened to you the day before and read them as your stress levels rise...This is not easy to do...

Next take up a hobby, volunteer somewhere. Get your body moving (walking gym, exercise ) instead of watching the T.V

Plan ahead.....Have something with you that you can fool yourself into thinking it is unhealthy but really is..Like a Protein cookie.

All these things were mentioned to me by a substance abuse councilor....This is your time to make it work.. This is up to you...This is about you...no one else...No one will shove the food down your throat...We have to fix the brain and the body will follow suit.....

I believe this occurs because people are making such drastic changes in their lifestyle that it makes it easier to slip something else in without as much effort as it usually would take. I personally focused as much attention as possible into figuring out the best food alternatives and then also focused onto exercise, to fill that gap in my attention span where i would normally think about and eat. As a result some people believe i am now obsessive about healthy food choices and exercising, but hey if you have to obsess might as well be on things that make you healthier. Good Luck.

I become more active :)

3 weeks post op I have realized that food was my addiction along with Diet Pepsi. The more weight I lose the better I feel which makes me want to take on more activities in my life. I have found myself out in my yard a lot more weeding, planting and just enjoying it! I say this is a time for you to start fresh and new! A NEW YOU!! I agree with the other's take up a new hobby or do something that you have never done before. The sleeve definitely assists me in thinking about what I put into my mouth now as I am sure it will you. I have found beverages that I never knew existed before and it's fun to try out new one's I also look at labels now when I didn't before. I've never been tempted to turn to alcohol because I know this journey is to get me healthier and I know drinking or drugs won't accomplish that :)

Thank you for all your encouragement!! I sometimes feel like food makes me happy and I get scared that with out it I'll be depressed, but I know it's the complete opposite!

I had a death in the family this week and my daughter is flooded 3 feet inside her new dream home of several months in Pensacola, 5 hours from me. I found myself extremely agitated and wanting to eat, whereas one day at ICU this week with my loved one, I did not eat all day. Stress and worry will still make us want to turn to that comfort of food. Please remember to distract yourself when things happen, because life is full of stress. I hate shopping, and it is raining several days, so I did my favorite thing and went shopping for books and "finds" at large consignment shops. You really have to be mindful that sitting around is not good. Worked like a charm.

@@summerms83 Start now on working on your feelings towards food. I too went to food for comfort but I was never ever ever happy about how I felt after stuffing my face or how I looked in the mirror. I also hated that NOTHING fit clothes wise. Every time I lose more weight I reward myself (in other ways then food) I will set myself mini goals like if I lose 5 lbs I can go buy myself a new necklace or a new shirt. Or if I lose 10 lbs I am going to go get a massage or a pedicure. Mini goals are good and rewards are even better! ;) Hearing compliments from other people on how good I am starting to look has also been a big motivator to stay away from the food. :) YOU CAN DO IT!

Avryv thanks for the encouragement, I'm glad I found this site. It really does make a difference having a support system from others that understand the struggle.

Linda I also live in Pensacola, it is so sad what's happened here. I'm so sorry for your daughter and your loss.

Thank you. I too hope you and your family and friends are safe and not much damage. Stuff can be replaced. God Bless!